Yankees watch Bronson

Guest Bulldog

The next Johnny Damon, except Bronson doesn't throw like an 8 year old girl.

But he catches like one. That last BC game he looked horrible in the field.......IMO

But he catches like one. That last BC game he looked horrible in the field.......IMO

That seems to be his only knock, his fielding and not an accurate arm, but strong though. But, that's what the minor leagues are for, to teach you those things at the professional level. It's all about the potential with this player.

That seems to be his only knock, his fielding and not an accurate arm, but strong though. But, that's what the minor leagues are for, to teach you those things at the professional level. It's all about the potential with this player.

True.  One thing to remember, for whatever may have been the reason, he has not had much actual playing time in the field.  Offensively, he is a senior, defensively he is basically a first year player.  In his sophmore season, he seemed to mostly be used as a pinch runner, at least in the games I saw.  Last year, he was the DH.  He surely will get better in time defensively with some playing time.  And he has something going for him that all the teaching in the world cannot give anyone: world class speed.

And if he does not go pro in baseball, there is always football.  His uncle in high school did not receive the publicity his cousins did, yet he was good enough to start 8 seasons in the NFL.

I don't think he has played much summer ball either which naturally means he is raw from a skills standpoint but MLB drafts athleticism

Exactly.  And since he played football, he missed the offseason preparation that the "baseball only" guys got.

By the way, were the scouts there to scout Bronson only, or perhaps Bronson and others?

Speaking of scouts, back in 1964 when Phil Hennigan was pitching so well for Jasper, the scouts came regularly.  We could easily tell who they were.  They dressed funny and talked funny.  Some of them even wore TIES to the games.  ;D  Other than the ties, it was a dead give away when they could not pronounce "DuBose Inn".

how do we even know he wants to focus on baseball? he already has a scholarship to mcneese to play wr am i right?

all this "next johnny damon" stuff and the power he is displaying is all news to me, last year all i saw him do was bunt and run, granted he did that well.  i just havent seen him play this year and i wish i have, hey maybe i'll get to see him play against bc in the playoffs, that would be fun. how did he do against hicks, did he have any hits?

how do we even know he wants to focus on baseball? he already has a scholarship to mcneese to play wr am i right?

I read that he is going to McNeese to play both football AND baseball.  In the end, he surely will go with whichever gives him the best pro prospects, if any.  My guess is that probably will be baseball. 

.... last year all i saw him do was bunt and run, granted he did that well. 

Where were you when BC pulled everyone in to protect against his bunt in the first game at QF (I think it was the first game), and he blasted a triple off the wall?  Actually, I don't think he did that much bunting once district was over.

Last year the team role he was given was to lay down bunts and advance Hart.  He did that unselfishly.  This year he was moved to the third spot and obviously given the green light to swing away.

Jasper is a very good team, all the players on the field look like ball players. They are quick and well coached. Haven't seen them since Vincent Beck till the other night, but the Bronson kid stood out at the plate. Last time I seen a ball hit like his was the kid from Kelly who transferred to Houston, Aaron ?

hey hey i wasnt knockin the guy  i was just saying what i saw last year and was asking about this season. and where is QF?? and i do remember a friend telling me about the homerun off hicks in jasper.  really do hope i get to see him play in the playoffs

Didn't take it as a knock.  It was a true observation, except for the triple.  And for that I was just poking a bit of fun.  QF is the quarterfinals.  Last year BC and Jasper.  Beck Field.

My only point was that he was not bunting last year because that was all he could do, but rather that bunting was part of the coaching strategy last year.  This year there is a different mix of players and that strategy apparently has been modified to fit this years players.

A footnote, in Bronson's last at bat against Hicks, we Jasper fans thought he had put another one out to tie the game, but it turned out to be a very high, pretty deep fly out to left field.  But we surely had our hopes for a moment.  You never know when he just might put it out of the park.  That is why tomorrow night HJ should just walk him every time.  ;)  That is what HF did after he mashed two balls out of the park.  Then the next Jasper batter hit a two run double.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed