Lamar Head Football Coach

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coachacola

bob west thinks ray woodard has a good chance.

I just read that too.  Bob West also said that Franchione's name keeps popping up:

If you’re looking for a dark-horse candidate on the Lamar University football job, the best bet is Navarro Junior College’s Ray Woodard. A UT football standout in the early 1980s, who spent a couple of seasons with Denver and Kansas City in the NFL, Woodard was 9-3 last year in what was his first season at Navarro, and won the JC Pilgrim’s Pride Bowl. Prior to Navarro, the pride of Corrigan-Camden High School coached with the Texas Terror of Arena Football League and spent four years as a defensive coordinator in NFL Europe. Although his credentials don’t seem to fit the LU profile, Woodard is getting strong support from high places . . . Another name that keeps popping up around the Lamar job is former Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione. That just makes no sense from either perspective. Why would Franchione want to start over in a job where it will take four or five years to be successful? Especially when it’s just a matter of time until somebody at the upper Division 1 level gets desperate enough to ignore all the warts and hire him. From Lamar’s standpoint, why would you hire a guy who would be gone as soon as he gets a better offer? Yeah, Lamar could get him cheap while another school pays him off — just like Mike Deane — but the key on this hire is to bring in somebody looking to build, not leave.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest coachacola

Let's assume for a moment Dennis Franchione is the front runner.  My guess on why he would be interested in the lamar job is:

1. a lot less pressure to win right away

2. he likes Texas and doesn't want to leave

3. he knows how to recruit SETX and the state

4. unless he gets his A&M job back or replaces Mack Brown at Texas he wouldn't be getting the top recruits anyway

5. Lamar will be paying him more than your average FCS head coach

And as many others have already said, maybe Stump can be his OC and take over when Fran leaves.

Jimmy Jimmy....why can 't we witness a miracle.

Imagine the recruits Jimmy could bring in the first year. 3-4 stars to a FCS team. Maybe a few 5 stars.

This team would end the season with more wins then loses. My Cardinal stadium bowl would be packed every game.

Jimmy needs to give us 5 years, then Stump can take over in 2014.

So Fran is still in it?!??! Woahhh... I'd like either but before Fran first, his son also won a NC championship at Blinn JC, and has recruited alot from this area too.

Guest abovetherim

Here is the bio on Brad Franchione

Head Football Coach Brad Franchione

Head coach Brad Franchione begins his third year directing the Buccaneer program, his 12th in college football. His foundation in the game has been built with input by his well-known father, Dennis Franchione, head coach at Texas A&M University, but his coaching philosophy and approach to the game have been constructed by his own experience in college programs ranging from junior college to NCAA Division I.

His last station before being named head coach of the Buccaneers in January 2005 was as the defensive line coach at Texas A&M University - Commerce. In his one season with the Lions he also served as the program’s academic coordinator, travel coordinator and video coordinator. His recruiting assignment was central Texas and Kansas junior colleges, including Blinn. Additional coaching experience has come at Bacone College in Muskogee, Okla. (2003-2004), the University of Tennessee - Martin (2002), the University of West Alabama in Livingston (2001- 2002), East Central University in Ada, Okla. (1999-2001) and Fort Scott Community College in Fort Scott, Kansas (1998). While in college he was a graduate assistant with the offense from 1996-1998 at Arkansas State University and a student coach assisting with the secondary at the University of New Mexico (1992-1996).

At Bacone College he was an associate head coach and defensive coordinator while also serving as the recruiting coordinator, helping lead the Warriors to a second-place finish in the Central States Intercollegiate Football Conference. At Tennessee - Martin he was an assistant coach working with the linebackers and the coordinating recruiting. He was also the kickoff team coach. For the Tigers of West Alabama he was an assistant coach working with the linebackers. He was also punt and kickoff teams coach. While an assistant at East Central he was the defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator for the Tigers, helping lead the 2000 team to its first winning season since 1983. He also served as the team’s academic coordinator and the special teams coordinator. His duties as an assistant at Fort Scott included working with the quarterbacks as well as the punt team and serving as video coordinator.

Franchione was born in Joplin, Mo., graduated from Pittsburg (Kansas) High School, earned his bachelor’s degree in physical education at the University of New Mexico in 1996 and his master of science degree in education at Arkansas State University in 1998. He and his wife, Rebecca, have a son, Wyatt, who is 3 and a daughter, 18-month-old Isabella. His hobbies include golf, racquetball, weight training and computers.

I have a good friend who was a 2 time All-SLC WR at Arkansas State. I'm going to see if he can give me any insight on Brad Franchione.

http://www.blinn.edu/buccaneer/athletics/football/coaches.htm

Guest tigersvoice

Imagine the donation surge if a big name, like Jimmy or Barry, was named as coach.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.  Are you talking about THE Jimmy Johnson.  Man, there is NO WAY that he is leaving the Florida coast to come to LU.  Surely you can imagine the millions of dollars he has been offered to come out of retirement and coach somebody's team.  Just not gonna happen.

And Barry . . . ?  Why, just for the name?  If he were to agree to come, I wish I were able to match it plus a dollar to get him to decline.

Get outta there unlv - you're making all of us that are serious about the project very nervous.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami