West Brook #1

I put this together by request over on the 5A board but since the program that tops the list is one of our own I felt obliged to post over here as well....   only 6 of the 166 5A programs that have opened since 1950 were able to tally at least 8 wins in their first season of UIL varsity play and West Brook is the ONLY one of the bunch to notch more than 10 wins in their first season. It really puts in to perspective how amazing the '82 Bruins State Championship Team really was.

WOS87, have you ever posted a table, showing only the first year win/loss record of each new school? This would be for the first year of official UIL district competition, not the initial JV season(s). If you're aware of any thread or website with this, I'd sure appreciate a lead to it.

We have a few new schools coming up in central Texas, and I'm interested in how well new schools have historically done in the past.  Thanks!!

I finally got around to doing this.  I only have included the 166 programs that have opened since 1950 as the records going back before WWII are not 100% complete in regards to inaugural seasons. 

Amazingly, only 30 of the 166 current 5A programs to open in the past 58 years were able to put up a winning record in their very first season of UIL varsity district competition. 

My criteria for "inaugural season" is that a team had to have been eligible to make the playoffs, which entails being a full-fledged member of a UIL designated district.  Most brand new schools have anywhere from a 1 to 3 year delay before they actually meet this criteria since the vast majority of new schools do not have a senior class their first year opening, consisting anywhere from only a 9th grade, to having 9th thru 11th grades, and thus playing mostly JV competition or only a partial varsity season.

Keeping with the arrangement of the original post of the thread I have kept the programs divided up into their individual decades of opening and have ranked them by both decade and in the overall 166.  Ranking was 1st by total number of wins and then 2nd by winning percentage (I went with wins over winning percentage simply because I feel Beaumont West Brook's 11-4-1 State Championship Season deserves to be ranked ahead of Brazoswood's 10-1-0 season which would rank first if using winning percentage as the first ranking criteria).

Let me know if I inadvertently have an inaugural season listed that isn't really an inaugural season under the criteria I mentioned above and I will correct it.

* - teams with an asterisk competed in either a private league or segregated league prior to joining the UIL and the data listed is only their first season competing in the UIL, not their actual first season ever

Inauguralseason.gif

For those interested, the very best "Inaugural Season" ever in Texas High School Football history belongs to Lubbock Estacado who fashioned a perfect 14-0-0 season in their very first year of varsity competition in 1968, winning the 3A State Championship in the process.  In fact, they went 24-0-1 in their first 25 games before finally losing in the 1969 playoffs to eventual state champ Brownwood.

estacado68-69.gif

And I have to mention that another Jefferson County team would be listed as #2 on the list.  Hamshire-Fannett put together a 12-0-0 season in their first year of play in 1961 after the merger of the two schools. They didn't win a state title because they were playing in a lower classification that only allowed them to play 2 playoff games but it definitely is still worth mentioning.

Once again, great stuff! Did you know that West Brook was also the first HS in Texas to win a state title as the runner-up team from their district. TJ won the district title that year. West Brook was also the first 5A team to win it's title with more than one loss (11-4-1). They were also the first 5A team to win a state title with a black head coach. As you mentioned, they were the first HS in Texas to win a state title in it's infancy in the current 64 team playoff era. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami