Look at the most ignorant person on the WOS schoolboard

The board also discussed renaming Mustang Stadium to Dan R. Hooks Stadium but a vote was not taken. Member Shirley Martin spoke against the move saying, "Why would we want to name a stadium after a man who has never lived in our district, never paid taxes in our district, and didn't even think enough of the district to send his kids here?" The other board members in attendance, Harry Barclay, Pete Amy, Nancy Byers, and Eric Mitchell all spoke in favor of the move saying basically that his record and awards speak for themselves and that when successful football programs are talked about across the state, WOS is always on that list. Hooks' teams have won two state championships and he's averaged 10 wins a season.

This lady is a MORON, most people are waiting to run her out of office. This is the same lady that is known for verbaly threatening another board member. She is an ungreatful .... that has a personal vendetta against the HS coaches. How disrespectful can you be? This makes my blood boil!! If im not mistaken, she was the ONLY one to vote against coach Thompson coming back afew years ago.

Let me stop before I go ballistic. :roll:

Not that I give a hoot one way or another, and not because Hooks is from Barbers Hill, but the man does a GREAT DEAL to help his student athletes. If for no other reason, he deserves respect for that.

As for naming it Dan Hooks stadium, well I can easily find a way to use that down the road, so heck yes. :D

How about Barbers Hill's Dan Hooks Stadium...... :D

Not that I give a hoot one way or another' date=' and not because Hooks is from Barbers Hill, but the man does a GREAT DEAL to help his student athletes. If for no other reason, he deserves respect for that.

As for naming it Dan Hooks stadium, well I can easily find a way to use that down the road, so heck yes. :D

How about Barbers Hill's Dan Hooks Stadium...... :D[/quote']

Or better yet, The Barbers Hill salt dome's Dan R Hooks Stadium. :lol:

Not according to Ms. Martin. She is such a pain in the worlds neck. She opposes everything the board does so she can get some attention. Its like dealing with a 2 year old. I hope she knows people would respect a cow before her.

It sounds to me like she is outnumbered so why don't they just outvote her? I mean I could care less if they name the stadium after Hooks, but if you are against it, you need a better reason than what she is giving. The man has obviously contributed big time to that district irregradless of whether he lives there or not.

It sounds to me like she is outnumbered so why don't they just outvote her? I mean I could care less if they name the stadium after Hooks' date=' but if you are against it, you need a better reason than what she is giving. The man has obviously contributed big time to that district irregradless of whether he lives there or not.[/quote']

She has no good reasons for anything she says. She is a MORON!!!!!!

I wouldnt even let her serve on a Little League counsel!

She just wants attention, negative or positive!

Guest GoStangs

I'm sure you'll see the stadium renamed, despite the one dissenting vote. I don't know when the vote is, but it's as much of a done-deal as anything I can imagine. It's just a shame people like Ms. Martin and their warped views make the news...

Once again Shirley Martin shows why she is a whart on the ass of society. Hooks' program has put more money in this district than all of the tax money she has paid in the years Hooks has been here. Shirley always likes to bring up when someone doesn't live in the district or pay taxes in Orange, she just needs to get off that horse. because there are a lot of employees that don't live in the district. Hooks has brought more class and prestidge to the district than she ever will.

Someone ought to ask her why she only makes maybe half of the board meetings. If she can't make at least 75% of the board meetings she ought to give up her seat. She only shows up when she thinks she can get attention, when all she's done is show how ignorant she is!!

Even though I'm from BC, I would vote for them renaming the stadium after Hooks, I mean look at what the guy has done for the school. Do you honestly think WOS would get as much attention without them winning football games "NO" And he's the one that is responsible for that. I say make it a city vote :D

Even though I'm from BC' date=' I would vote for them renaming the stadium after Hooks, I mean look at what the guy has done for the school. Do you honestly think WOS would get as much attention without them winning football games "NO" And he's the one that is responsible for that. I say make it a city vote :D[/quote']

There doesnt need to be a city vote, it would be unanimus! Its just that Shirley Martin wants to be a RETARD!!!

West Orange Stark High School seniors who do not have enough credits earned to graduate could be walking across the stage at the Dan R. Hooks stadium next May — or perhaps not.

Discussions were heated Monday night when West Orange-Cove Consolidated Independent School District board members debated two issues, the stadium’s new name and whether non-graduating students can walk with their class during commencement ceremonies.

Last May when other districts grappled with the sensitive issue of graduating students’ walking requirements, board member Pete Amy asked the district to examine its own policy before the start of the new school year.

The board discussed the current policy, which states that a student must meet all-district and state requirements (this includes passing the TAKS test) to be eligible to walk at graduation.

Trustees discussed allowing students to walk if they were missing one credit or less or had not passed the TAKS test. The students would be recognized differently at the commencement ceremony and would still not receive their diploma until the missing requirements were fulfilled.

No action was taken on the issue.

A new name for Mustang Stadium was also discussed at Monday’s meeting.

In earlier months, board member Eric Mitchell asked for the item to remain on the agenda for discussion and action. The item calls for the stadium to be renamed Dan R. Hooks Stadium, honoring current athletic director and head football coach Dan Hooks.

“This is an honor that is well-deserved,†Harry Barclay, school board president, said. “We are in the process of remodeling the stadium and it’s an opportune time to rename it.â€

Board member Shirley Martin voiced opposition to the proposal, saying that other community figures deserve the recognition and should be considered as well —especially since Hooks does not reside in the district. Hooks is a resident of Bridge City and his children all attended school there.

Board member Nancy Byers argued that Hooks’ winning record and accolades are more than deserving of the honor.

“His accomplishments speak for themselves,†Byers said. “He is very much a part of this community and he has built this program into one of the best in the state. You can’t say high school football in Texas without the name Dan Hooks.

“He is known for winning and it doesn’t matter where he pitches his tent — this is an honor he deserves.â€

A vote on the stadium’s new moniker is expected to be held during an upcoming meeting.

The district also discussed the amount of money to take out in Tax Anticipation Notes. Lewis A. Wilks, a financial advisor with Coastal Securities in Houston, was present at the meeting to answer questions about the amount of money the district will be able to use in a Tax Anticipation Note and when that note will be paid off.

After discussion, board members will most likely approve a $4 million dollar Tax Anticipation Note that will be paid off on Feb. 15, 2007. No action was taken on the issue, and Wilks will be present at next week’s meeting with the proper paperwork if the action is approved.

Superintendent Dr. O. Taylor Collins also announced that the district is sitting securely on a $9.5 million dollar surplus — a great improvement considering the district’s financial struggles in the past few years.

The next meeting of the WO-CCISD school board is scheduled for 6 p.m. July 31.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder