So what does Bob West have to say?

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

It was good to see that Lamar University has decided to accelerate the process for hiring a football coach and now hopes to have one on board no later than May 1. In the meantime, don’t pay much attention to some of the names floating around, like Dennis Franchione and R.C. Slocum. No way either of those guys gives Lamar a second thought. Former LU coach Larry Kennan is definitely interested, based on the school’s level of commitment. Also interested are three of Franchione’s A&M assistants — offensive coordinator Les Koenning, running backs coach Kenith Pope and offensive line coach Jim Bob Helduser. If Helduser’s name sounds familiar, it should. He played at Port Neches-Groves, was head coach at Texas State (then Southwest Texas) from 1992-96 and was on Franchione’s staff at TCU, Alabama and A&M......

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_089231408.html

bob west has really dropped the ball in regards to lu football.last week on his show bob didnt even know lamar was accepting applications.i didnt even bother to call and correct him.around a month ago jimmy simmons called in to correct him on several issues.

Guest tigersvoice

bob west has really dropped the ball in regards to lu football.last week on his show bob didnt even know lamar was accepting applications.i didnt even bother to call and correct him.around a month ago jimmy simmons called in to correct him on several issues.

How old is Bob now?  He may be getting a little too old to keep up with everything in the triangle or Greater Southeast Texas (to include Silsbee) along with all the goings on at Lamar.  I know that I am!

Guest tigersvoice

If RC Slocum or Fran is happy that neither will never coach college football again, then West is right. However if either

one of those guys every wants to coach again, they better take the Lamar job if offered.

Like everyone else, I have heard that Fran took a look.  Have not heard that R. C. has any interest in the Lamar job.

If RC Slocum or Fran is happy that neither will never coach college football again, then West is right. However if either

one of those guys every wants to coach again, they better take the Lamar job if offered.

Like everyone else, I have heard that Fran took a look.  Have not heard that R. C. has any interest in the Lamar job.

I think R.C. took a look too. Wasn't he in Beaumont playing golf with Tubbs several weeks ago?

Guest roberthollister

Bob West isn't privy to all the inside info with regards to LU football.  People think that he is, but he isn't.  He knows about Lamar basketball.  But football?  He supported its death in 1989.

Guest abovetherim

:) This is true he did let his writing back in 1989 tell his feeling about Lamar football. DenisG, I wouldn't go that far but you are definitely entitled to your opinion. I will say one of his buddies is, well never mind.  :)

Guest roberthollister

:) This is true he did let his writing back in 1989 tell his feeling about Lamar football. DenisG, I would go that far but you are definitely entitled to your opinion. I will say one of his buddies is, well never mind.  :)

One of his buddies is an attorney and big-time donor.  His name is W.....oh, forgot.

Guest coachacola

My feeling is that Bob West and Port Arthur really don't care too much for Lamar.  Any mention of Lamar football in the PA  News usually isn't positive.  I don't think any good HS baskeball players from PA have ever gone to Lamar.  Maybe it's a Beaumont vs Port Arthur thing, I don't know.  I don't live in the area any more so maybe I'm wrong, but that's the feeling I get.

Guest abovetherim

Well, Bob and his wife are Lamar alumni. I work for the same company as his wife and have talked a lot about Lamar with her as she was a Lamar cheerleader back in the day.

He was wrong 20 years ago about football and to admit that now is hard for some folks to do. If he doesn't feel Lamar could have a good football program today he is still wrong.

With his past history, I agree with one poster as Lamar has left him out of the loop regarding football.

He loves Lamar, loves talking the past "glory years" and loves Coach Roc. I think in the near future you will see him pushing for Larry Kennan and Coach Stump. One Coach Stump is from PA and Bob has a good relationship with Coach Kennan. Just my two cents.

My feeling is that Bob West and Port Arthur really don't care too much for Lamar.  Any mention of Lamar football in the PA  News usually isn't positive.  I don't think any good HS baskeball players from PA have ever gone to Lamar.  Maybe it's a Beaumont vs Port Arthur thing, I don't know.  I don't live in the area any more so maybe I'm wrong, but that's the feeling I get.

Beaumont and Port Arthur use to be rivals. 2 Independent cities friendly, but still seperate paths. Today, Port Arthur has yield itself to being

a Satelite city to Beaumont. That is not a put down to Port Arthur, thats just how things evolved.

a better question would be "Who cares what Boob West has to say?"  He is without doubt one of the biggest douchebags writing anywhere, a true legend in his own mind.

Never even met the guy, just know that he's anti-football.  Don't care, really.

i think thats a little harsh.my comments were based only on his lack of football insight.no one covers lu hoops like bob.i always preferred the pa news over the bmt surprise because of the sports section.his local radio show devotes a lot of time to lu sports also.he has obviously been luke warm on the return of football but he still needs to cover it because his customers want to be informed.

Fair point his readers want to be informed, yet Bob has said on more than one occasion he hates hockey and will NOT write about nor cover it.  If he wants to write that in his column where it is opinion thats fine. However by refusing to cover it at all, is that not doing a dis-service to PA and mid county, so there are zero hockey fans in Nederland, Port Neches, Port Arthur by his logic.  True?  Same with the Drillers, when was the last article in the Port Arthur Snooze about them?  Never.  If you use the logic of Beaumont versus Port Arthur, then why write about Lamar since it is in Beaumont?  Lately the Catters have drawn crowds just as big as most LU games, and certainly more than the LU women both of which get coverage from the PA fishwrap. Boob is much like a politician he only writes about things that further his own agenda. 

Fair point his readers want to be informed, yet Bob has said on more than one occasion he hates hockey and will NOT write about nor cover it.  If he wants to write that in his column where it is opinion thats fine. However by refusing to cover it at all, is that not doing a dis-service to PA and mid county, so there are zero hockey fans in Nederland, Port Neches, Port Arthur by his logic.  True?  Same with the Drillers, when was the last article in the Port Arthur Snooze about them?  Never.  If you use the logic of Beaumont versus Port Arthur, then why write about Lamar since it is in Beaumont?  Lately the Catters have drawn crowds just as big as most LU games, and certainly more than the LU women both of which get coverage from the PA fishwrap. Boob is much like a politician he only writes about things that further his own agenda. 

Well, I believe it's safe to say, that Denis does not like Bob. But I will say, Denis does make some valid points. ( man that was hard for me to say ) ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn