Larry Tidwell on UNT's radar

Guest abovetherim

Will not happen as I've already talked to someone close to the situation about schools coming in to talk to Tidwell. He is very happy here, his wife is about to retire from the Fort Worth school district and will be here with him at the end of the school year. Matter of fact she'll be at the game tonight.

6 or 7 years from now when someone like UT, A&M, LSU, Baylor or another high profile womens job comes calling I'll worry.

The attention will get him a pay raise but that was coming anyway.

Best of luck with your coaching search.

Guest abovetherim

Think of it this way, Coach Tidwell has women coming in better than Abalde and she was just voted Freshman of the Year and 1st team All-Conference. Start all over from ground zero, have to recruit against TCU (he is still proud of the accomplishments there) for a job not a great deal better than Lamar. What are the going to pay him $30,000 more? Half of that would be cost of living. Remember I lived in Fort Worth. Everything is higher there.

Then he has made statements to Cardinal Club members that he hopes to retire here. I'll give him a pass if UT comes calling but not UNT. One thing about Tidwell is he is very honest.

The man lived in a dorm room for half the year. I want to say he just bought a home. You really think he'll leave after one season. No way, he has invested too much into the program.

Guest coachacola

I bet UNT would have a hard time matching Tidwell's salary here at Lamar.  I don't know how much he makes at Lamar, but the Equity in Athletics website shows that Lamar pays it's 5 women head coaches an average of $67K while UNT pays it's 8 women head coaches an average of $51K per year.  Now I'm sure those extra 3 positions drag down the the average salary but I can't see UNT giving Tidwell a big enough raise to leave Lamar after 1 year (with the 31st rank recruiting class coming in) and starting over AGAIN at UNT.

Think of it this way, Coach Tidwell has women coming in better than Abalde and she was just voted Freshman of the Year and 1st team All-Conference. Start all over from ground zero, have to recruit against TCU (he is still proud of the accomplishments there) for a job not a great deal better than Lamar. What are the going to pay him $30,000 more? Half of that would be cost of living. Remember I lived in Fort Worth. Everything is higher there.

Then he has made statements to Cardinal Club members that he hopes to retire here. I'll give him a pass if UT comes calling but not UNT. One thing about Tidwell is he is very honest.

The man lived in a dorm room for half the year. I want to say he just bought a home. You really think he'll leave after one season. No way, he has invested too much into the program.

I have no idea what Lamar pays Tidwell but NT was paying Slinker right at $200,000, plus incentives.  Don't sell UNT short. The athletic budget is around $15-$16 million.  And for the record, as I'm sure someone will ask, my "source" is someone close to the program and on the Athletic Council at NT.

Guest abovetherim

We'll he doesn't make that much at Lamar. He will get a significant raise but doubt it will be in the $200,000 range. I honestly don't think money will be the main factor with Coach Tidwell.

Guest abovetherim

I have no idea what Lamar pays Tidwell but NT was paying Slinker right at $200,000, plus incentives.  Don't sell UNT short. The athletic budget is around $15-$16 million.  And for the record, as I'm sure someone will ask, my "source" is someone close to the program and on the Athletic Council at NT.

Green, I'm not saying you are wrong about the salary of the woman's basketball coach but Todd Dodge is only making around $260,000. You mean the football coach only makes $60,000 more than the woman's basketball coach? BTW, I have a pretty good source on the salary of Todd Dodge. He is a Port Arthur native you know.

Green, I'm not saying you are wrong about the salary of the woman's basketball coach but Todd Dodge is only making around $250,000. You mean the football coach only makes $50,000 more than the woman's basketball coach? BTW, I have a pretty good source on the salary of Todd Dodge. He is a Port Arthur native you know.

Yes, the base salaries of the two are pretty close.  Don't forget, Slinker has had that job for 19 years.  I think Dodge's incentive package moves him into the $350K, if he makes them.  But honestly, I don't know what the incentive package is worth.

Guest abovetherim

Thanks, that clears it up a little. I doubt UNT would pay Coach Tidwell (he only has one season of college head coaching experience) the same as they paid a coach who was there 19 years. If you do that be ready for some of the media to make waves. A. Female coach for 19 years B. Male coach for two years. I can see the Star-Telegram now attempting to cause problems.

Is Coach Tidwell worth $200,000? You bet your last dollar he is but if UNT pays him or any male coach coaching the women the same as a female coach of 19 years you are looking at a possible media disaster.

You may think I'm crazy but I'm a male nurse who makes more than the vast majority of female co-workers. Are they upset about it? You bet they are but I doubt the Beaumont Enterprise is going to write a story about male nurses vs female nurses salaries. I'd think that would be pretty boring to read. Now, writing about the coaching salaries of men and women. That might just make for some interesting news.

NT may not pay Tidwell $200,000, but it still could be a lot more than the Lamar job.  Again, pure speculation on my part.  NT does not need that kind of press that you were referring to.  Heck, they just got all of their "gender equity" mess straightened out a couple of years ago.

BTW, my Aggie daughter(B.S. Nutrition) is applying to nursing school, a profession she has wanted to pursue since her HOSA days at Port Neches Groves HS.  I'm really proud of her.

Guest abovetherim

Best of luck to your daughter. I'm sure your daughter will make a great RN and the salaries for nurses just keep going up. For example St Elizabeth is offering a $3,000 sign on bonus and $20/hr for new graduates. You go to Houston or the Metroplex they are offering $23/$25 per hour for new graduates.

However, don't go into nursing for the money. Everyone I personally know who did that hates it. If you have a passion for people, it is a great career and does pay well.

BTW, Lamar has one of the best nursing schools in the state of Texas. She needs to apply there!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124