Becca Matthews New BC Coach

easy now.... like i said i don't follow vidor sports. you gave some wonderful examples just like i asked you to. and i am from that district, grew up in it and competed in it. so i guess there are athletes in vidor after all......so can you come up with a reason why they don't win in volleyball and football,baseball, girls basketball, and i hate to say it, but even the boys team will probably be back to 4th, 5th or even lower in district.

i only ask because you have made yourself out to be an expert.

again, i am not picking on vidor, but unless you give some good reasons, the evidence is in the stat books.

and congrats on the football win tonight.

easy now.... like i said i don't follow vidor sports. you gave some wonderful examples just like i asked you to. and i am from that district' date=' grew up in it and competed in it. so i guess there are athletes in vidor after all......so can you come up with a reason why they don't win in volleyball and football,baseball, girls basketball, and i hate to say it, but even the boys team will probably be back to 4th, 5th or even lower in district.

i only ask because you have made yourself out to be an expert.

again, i am not picking on vidor, but unless you give some good reasons, the evidence is in the stat books.

and congrats on the football win tonight.[/quote']

If I had the answer I promise I would have already revealed it..But I don't.

The only reason I can give is we are in a tough district.

We do have athletes but we might not have as many as other schools.

I really dont know the answer,and you are right about the stat books they dont lie.

Guest sportsfanatic

It's funny that when I ask Becca her main reason for leaving and she says that missing another opportunity to go back home would be crazy. I also know that she has worked hard at improving that volleyball program at VIdor (one that didn't win a district game for 2 years when she got there) and that there were significant improvements with the kids in general. They were given numerous opportunities to get better--that is what coaching is about...helping the kids get better.

Piratefan, all due respect but I have to agree with the other guy. You can not compare the success of Vidor basketball to every situation. You can sometimes get buy with fundemantals in basketball and win games. Vidor was blessed to have some guys to come along at the same time with great fundamentals ie. the williamson brothers, and the 6 9 kid. They were good because they all could shoot the three. That is a rarity in high school basketball. To reiterate what the other guy stated, no coach wants to go into a situation where he can't win or doesn't have the talent to win and make it to the playoffs. The only time that exist is if a coach just wants to be a head coach and he uses that position as a stepping stone.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest bleed orange

Wow I got in on this subject way to late. Talent has to be developed at a young age. Talent comes in spurts. Vidors youth programs does a great job with football, baseball and softball. But girls basketball they do not. Vidor does have talent but allot of it is walking the halls instead of on the field or on the court. Its like that in every school. Nederland and PNG are good in volleyball because they develope their kids young and it shows. They have not done that in basketball and it shows. Now they have started a little dribbler program in both communities and I think you will see some improvement in their basketball program. The Orangefield girls have benefited from a successful little dribbler program and it has help our boys also. It has also helped school like Kountze, HF, Hardin Jefferson and many others. On the other side we don't develope our kids in volleyball and at this point it shows. It takes the dedication of parents and kids who are willing to go that extra mile. In girls basketball we have done that and it shows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure why she left, but as for Vidor, the new head coach stepped in with the same girls she had last year and came out 4th in district with a 7-7 record and is only losing 2 Seniors. Go Pirates, looks like they are moving up. Sometimes coaches are the ones that make the change and sometimes kids need new coaches in order to make a change. Toss up, but Vidor didn't look like it was a resting stop on the district schedule this year. Whatever that new coach did with that group of kids is working. Best of luck to both teams next year. The first year is usually and adjustment and sometimes coaches ride on previous year performance and coaching but looks like Vidor moved up in the right direction so we will see what BC does next year.

Guest jbseballfan

Not sure why she left' date=' but as for Vidor, the new head coach stepped in with the same girls she had last year and came out 4th in district with a 7-7 record and is only losing 2 Seniors. Go Pirates, looks like they are moving up. Sometimes coaches are the ones that make the change and sometimes kids need new coaches in order to make a change. Toss up, but Vidor didn't look like it was a resting stop on the district schedule this year. Whatever that new coach did with that group of kids is working. Best of luck to both teams next year. The first year is usually and adjustment and sometimes coaches ride on previous year performance and coaching but looks like Vidor moved up in the right direction so we will see what BC does next year.[/quote']

Why do we have to wait and see what BC does next year? Didn't they make it to the playoffs THIS year? Vidor got fourth. Give em credit for that but really, who did they beat? Lumberton....okay star player quit to go straight basketball (they crumbled after that).....Ozen...down year for them as they graduated some great athletes last year.....Central....they can't ever get it together....Dayton....heard they really stunk it up. My point is....this coach can do whatever she wants.....playoffs in volleyball are a stretch. Powerhouses like Nederland and PNG along with Ozen (normally) and LCM's strong juniors program.....I don't care if you got Gabby Reese in there....it's not going to happen. Besides...her jealous behavior toward the Vidor athletes ties to Mathews are beyond ridiculous. Mathews had contact with those kiddos from 7th grade and on....to think they wouldn't still want to have a relationship with her is crazy.

Just my two cents............

Wow! Sounds like you take that personal. I do believe Vidor is in 4A and BC is 3A. Give credit where credit is due as far as knowing the new coach at vidor personally, I can't say, looks like you can and have your obvious opinions. Only going by what I've seen. Looks like she did a great job with those girls at Vidor, sorry you feel that way. Just my opinion, we will see after both coaches have a year in what happens next year. Like you said, you heard, looks like you've based your opinion on hearsay, I just read the papers and saw some games. Going on numbers and figures only not repetition of rumors.

Guest jbseballfan

No, I don't take it personally. You gave your opinion and I gave mine. As for my "repetition of rumors," nope sorry...try again. I follow southeast texas volleyball (newspapers, internet, rankings, etc) from afar because I don't have the luxury of going to the games. Assumptions I made about each team were drawn from articles I read and performance. Never said she wasn't doing a great job.....she is. But if you are going to give credit for her fourth place finish....let's give Mathews some credit for her playoff appearance in her first year. Why "wait a year" to "see" what happens? It already happened! I think you might have missed it!

The repetition of rumors was regarding the coaches "jealous behavior" towards the girl's relationship with Coach Mathews. If you were never at the games and were never around this coach while she or he was coaching those kids, then how do you know about this so-called "jealous behavior". Not here to take any cheap shots at people's integrity or their personal behavior. Only commenting on coaching ability and facts, not hearsay. I can't imagine those girls doing that well if the coach was of the calibur you are claiming. Once again, my opinion. Enough of that, I think they both did a great job, but I will not attack anyone as a person or their integrity with the kids they are involved in unless I have seen or heard it with my own ears. Next year, both coaches won't have any excuses if they both stay at those schools, we will see. All I was saying is that next year it will tell all about both of their coaching abilities.

Guest BobcatBeliever

Both coaches did a good job. Becca, however, did inherit a very good team that was already established with four very strong players. I personally know the Vidor coach, and I can assure both of you, that there is no jealousy factor on her part. She's never even mentioned the former coach and I commend her on a job well done.

Guest jbseballfan

I will say a couple more things and be done with this topic. Coach Mathews did inherit some athletes on her team. However, get a non-motivated, less experienced coach in there.....I don't care what you inherit you can still manage to tank it. She did a great job. 4 kids does not make a volleyball team last time I checked.

I agree that Melancon did a good job with what she had at Vidor. As for my comment on her "jealous" behavior, that was no "repetition of rumor" either. I know one of her athletes and she said there was definitely an issue when they tried to speak to Coach Mathews at games.

Anyway, it's a non-issue....I guess I just don't understand why we have to wait a "year in" to see their "real coaching ability." I thought both showed great potential this year. Good luck to Vidor and BC in the future.

i agree with one of those statements. you can have a great coached team one year and the next year a new coach can show up and not have a successful season. case in point - after rosita wilson(sp?) left BC they had long playoff runs. Coach Little came and they went 2 or 3 rounds deep. he left and graduated 2 or 3 seniors, the next year with a different coach they didn't even make the playoffs, they didn't even look like a team that had ever been in the playoffs. even with a great system and great players, they still have to be coached.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sportsfanatic

WOW...can this topic EVER be dropped??  Geez, the girl has almost been at BC an entire year and this is still be discussed.  Personally, I think both teams did well this season.  The truth of the matter is that the girls at Vidor have been coached in season and trained during off-season with the supervision of Matthews.  She knows what she is doing.  Those kids are doing a great job over there.  I truly wish they could finish higher than 4th...that has been the case since Matthews was there  (only as high as 4th).  Now, as for BC, they should do ok next year.  I think Matthews has a hold on the attitudes of the kids (which was not handled in my opinion last year) and should be an asset to their programs to come.  She is definitely passionate about her job and also a motivator.  Another thing, someone earlier attempted to compare BC and VIdor as 3A and 4A---well, if I recall, the 3A (BC) beat the 4A (Vidor) twice this past season.  Good luck to both teams and their coaches...hope they are able to enjoy the rest of their 1st years!!!

Guest sportsfanatic

By the way, tigereyes.....

If any good coach can beat them, y was it that B.C. volleyball beat silsbee volleyball 2 out of the 3 times they played this year??????

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami