*OF vs. Navasota/Navasota Wins..*

KFDM COOP

I originally posted this to the Orangefield Bobcats message board this morning.  It includes a letter sent to the directors of the Texas Association of Sports Officials and to the UIL.  I have received one reply from Doug Williams who is the Secretary of the College Station Chapter.  He said Thank You.

Can't shake this off. I keep reliving the last few minutes of the game. Part of me says "oh well, gotta move on, some things just ain't right, that is life". Another part says "wait just a darn minute, somebodys got do something." Well sad fact of the matter is all we can do is raise awareness by keeping the issue in front of the appropriate folks and demanding they do their jobs. Fortunately there are no government agencies to turn to in situations like this. This is still a "of the people" organization. That means the people at the top of the Texas Association of Sports Officials are likely Moms and Dads like the rest of us who have watched and supported their childrens efforts in sports. They understand the pressure of competition will add much character to their childrens lives. They've witnessed the emotional swings of wins and losses and hopefully be able to feel the pain we are feeling now.

Before I share the letter I sent, I do want to say that I am very proud of our lady cats. I am proud of our coaches. I am grateful that my daughter has been exposed to and been a part of a wonderful team of winners.

The message below was sent to all the e-mail addresses you fellows supplied. I'll share responses.

A terrible wrong was committed Tuesday night against the Orangefield Varsity Girls Basketball Team, against the coaches, against parents and entire fan base.

One official was able to affect the outcome of this game. That's not suppose to happen. We know it can and it does and is very difficult situation to deal with, all of which I am sure you are much more familiar with than myself. But to allow this to pass without an attempt at correcting the problem is more than I can take. I tried to put together something you may be able to work with.

Your Texas Association of Sports Officials(TASO) Standards of Conduct and Code of Ethics clearly covers the issue since several of your conduct guidelines and ethics codes were violated.

Listed below are the applicable codes. These are your codes I witnessed the College Station Chapter referee violate and below that are my comments.

From your Website:

I. Standards of Conduct

A. Each member of the TASO must avoid any action, whether or not specifically prohibited by this code, which might result in or create the appearance of

5. Affecting adversely the confidence of the public, schools, and

universities in the integrity of theTASO.

II. Code of Ethical Conduct

A. Each member of the TASO shall

1. Put loyalty to the highest moral principals and to the TASO above loyalty to persons or individual gains.

3. Never discriminate unfairly by the dispensing of special favors or privileges to anyone, whether for renumeration or not, and never accept, for self or family, favors or benefits under circumstances which might be construed by reasonable persons as influencing the performance of TASO duties.

7. Uphold these principles ever conscience that membership is a basis of human trust.

III. Code of Ethics

J. Every official shall seek to possess and demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the letter and intent of the playing rules and officiating mechanics.

My thoughts:

I. A. 5. above, He hurt the reputation of your organization.

II.A.1. I would question his loyalties.

II.A.3. Everyone at the game witnessed unfair discrimination and the dispensing of special favors or privileges. An illegal technical foul after the timer is a special favor. Then adding a second to the clock to back it up is another. Discrimination, against Orangefield, yes.

II.A.7. He broke the human trust issue. He does not deserve to ever officiate children again.

III.J. He became involved in the outcome of the game and did what he could to allow the game to go into overtime.

Orangefield stayed behind most of the game so his intentions did not become as obvious and apparent until we made an unexpected come-back in the last minute of the

game. At that point it became clear we could win. After a 3 point foul called by the other official at the buzzer he became desperate. That foul call brought fans from the Navasota stands onto the court. No technicals for that. Our girl made all 3 foul shots putting us ahead. He put a second on the clock just before she shot. Then imediately after she won the game he calls the technical against our bench.

The game was over when a technical was called against our bench. The clock had run out as our player was fouled attempting to take a 3 point shot. He added a second to keep the game going but all he could do was call a technical against the bench for jumping up and stepping onto the court maybe a few feet when they thought we won the game.

He simply rigged the end of the game to favor overtime play. It was very clear to everyone in the gym.

You need to do the right thing and make sure this fellow never represents your association again. He hurt us, our kids, our school and he hurt you. Please, get a tape of the game, read the e-mails, ask the questions and get this guy out of the system. I'd like a response please.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Navasota's take of the game, written by their local sportswriter.

GIRLS

Navasota beats Orangefield in overtime: HUMBLE -- The Navasota Lady Rattlers squandered a 17-point lead in the final 3 minutes of regulation but managed a tie with a second left to force overtime. Navasota grabbed a 76-69 victory in the extra frame over Orangefield in Class 3A Region III girls basketball regional quarterfinal action.

Navasota (34-3) will play District 17-3A champ Waco Robinson at 8 p.m. Friday at Sam Houston State in the regional semifinals. Robinson eliminated 18-3A champ Madisonville 52-48 on Tuesday night.

Navasota had a season-high 26 turnovers and missed seven free throws in the final 3 minutes to allow 21-3A champ Orangefield to take the lead.

Navasota regained the lead on a basket by Jamie Spriggs with 5 seconds left, but the Lady Rattlers were called for a foul on a desperation shot by Orangefield from midcourt with 1 second left.

No. 15 Orangefield hit two of three free throws for the lead, but when its bench players jumped onto the court to celebrate, a technical foul was called.

Navasota's Brateicka Mock missed the first free throw, but the second one fell after rolling around the rim twice.

"To our kids' credit, we came back and took care of business in the overtime," Navasota head coach Tommy Gates said. "It was a tough game. Eleven kids fouled out [combined] on both teams."

Fifth-ranked Navasota had been eliminated in the second round the last two seasons.

Navasota 76, Orangefield 69, OT

NAVASOTA (34-3) -- Raven Palmer 6, Jamie Spriggs 22, Brateicka Mock 28, Marquisha Culbreath 4, Perishia Harris 2, Latecia Oaks 10, Megan Calhoun 2.

ORANGEFIELD (24-8) -- Weldon 6, Beach 3, Little 29, Wyatt 2, Reddick 2, Wagner 20, Scales 2.

Navasota 13 14 15 21 13 -- 76

Orangefield 17 9 4 33 9 -- 69

Again, while I think that this referee should be reprimanded (or relieved from his duties) by the appropriate organization(s) deem that he was wrong in his call, the call did not lose the game for the Lady Bobcats...it extended it to overtime.  If the call was blatantly wrong, there was still (3) minutes for them to win the game or lose the game.  Unfortunately, they lost the game.

Not saying that this is right because one, I was not at the game; and two, two wrongs don't make a right, but had Navasota lost due to the foul call for the three free throws, they might be just as upset because they might have felt that that call "lost" them the game.  I know that it is difficult, but to say that one call or play or whatever costs people the entire game is normally not so because unless that team, person, etc. played flawlessly or hadn't have made one too many mistakes, then his call wouldn't have really mattered.  That's all I'm saying. 

To any referees reading these threads...you should already know and realize how you blowing that little silver whistle or throwing that little yellow flag (or whatever) affects CHILDREN's and YOUNG ADULTS' lives.  Especially in post-season, they deserve a "FIRM, FAIR, & CONSISTENT" game called for them and against.  I hate it for the Lady Cats that this happened...I hate it for anyone that this happens to. 

Again, hold your heads high Lady Cats because you had a really good season and best of luck to every one of you. 

Guest bleed orange

OldRef, You made the right call. I watched the film over and over. The Navasota girl clearly fouled KK on that last shot. You did the right thing. The other Ref did not however.

Ok,  so the deed was done.  There's no going back and fixing it at this point right?  So what do we do now.  Get a life?  These kids are our life. 

Orangefield has been fighting an uphill battle since I've been watching.  Really,  how can you hurt us now?

Does anyone who reads this board have suggestions as to how we should  handle this situation?  We know Navasota will go to state now and honestly I'm not the least bit bitter about that.  Just disappointed that our Lady Cats were cheated. This cheating has got to stop.

Suggestions anyone?  All replies appreciated.

Guest bleed orange

Ok,  so the deed was done.  There's no going back and fixing it at this point right?  So what do we do now.  Get a life?  These kids are our life. 

Orangefield has been fighting an uphill battle since I've been watching.  Really,  how can you hurt us now?

Does anyone who reads this board have suggestions as to how we should  handle this situation?  We know Navasota will go to state now and honestly I'm not the least bit bitter about that.  Just disappointed that our Lady Cats were cheated. This cheating has got to stop.

I know it is hard. Look forward to your daughter playing the next two years. That's all you can do. Her High School years should be her best and they will. Lots more volleyball, basketball and softball to be played. I appreciate your passion towards this years team. They will never be forgotten. This is not over with yet but time will heal everything.

My suggestion is build a bridge and get over it. Use this experience as a means to teach your daughter that life isn't fair and there will be times you just gotta take it in the shorts and move on. Take the high road and be remembered for losing a tough, possibly unfairly decided game with class & dignity.

Guest bleed orange

My suggestion is build a bridge and get over it. Use this experience as a means to teach your daughter that life isn't fair and there will be times you just gotta take it in the shorts and move on. Take the high road and be remembered for losing a tough, possibly unfairly decided game with class & dignity.

Our girls were over it the next day. Believe me they get life lesson all the time. How many times do I have to say, this is not about losing a game. To be honest I wish that girl would have not fouled our girl and the game would have been over with in the field of play. That would have been a lot easier to take. We will get over it but until then I will do everything in my power to make sure this official never calls a game again. To be honest, nothing will be done to this guy. But at least we tried. For all you people whom seem to have all the answers. I hope it happens to you oneday. Then maybe you will understand how we feel.

Our girls were over it the next day. Believe me they get life lesson all the time. How many times do I have to say, this is not about losing a game. To be honest I wish that girl would have not fouled our girl and the game would have been over with in the field of play. That would have been a lot easier to take. We will get over it but until then I will do everything in my power to make sure this official never calls a game again. To be honest, nothing will be done to this guy. But at least we tried. For all you people whom seem to have all the answers. I hope it happens to you oneday. Then maybe you will understand how we feel.

I've had 4 of my kids go through HS & AAU athletics and I've seen my share of screwins' by the guys in the striped shirts. I understand your frustration but complaining about it won't get the referee in question removed from his chapter and won't change the outcome of the game.

I really hate to say this, but up until this situation I would have agreed 100% with Stang4life.  For a ref to make a conscious decision to make a game changing technical call is borderline criminal.  I have always said that Refs hardly ever affect the outcome of a game because of the fact that they didn't commit turnovers, miss freethrows, miss layups, etc. However, the technical call because the girls celebrated is unheard of.  However, I also feel that it is time to move on because there is virtually nothing that can be done about it other than gripe on a message board.

Guest bleed orange

I've had 4 of my kids go through HS & AAU athletics and I've seen my share of screwins' by the guys in the striped shirts. I understand your frustration but complaining about it won't get the referee in question removed from his chapter and won't change the outcome of the game.

I agree with you, we can't change the outcome of the game and I know that nothing will be done to that official but there always that slimmer of hope. Writing on the message board is a way of relieving all that tention. I just had to vent, AGAIN and AGAIN.

I agree with you, we can't change the outcome of the game and I know that nothing will be done to that official but there always that slimmer of hope. Writing on the message board is a way of relieving all that tention. I just had to vent, AGAIN and AGAIN.

I understand completely. When my oldest daughter was a Freshman in HS (she's 28 years old now) she was playing in a tourney at Amarillo, Tx. The other team was in foul trouble and only had 3 girls on the court. The ref made sure that our girls couldn't get the ball past half court without calling a travel, double dribble or offensive foul. He was favoring the other team and making no attempt to conceal it. I wanted to confront him after the game and fortunately my wife got me cooled down and prevented me from doing something foolish. His name was Mal Carr and to this day, I have no use for the man.

As much as I enjoyed watching my kids play ball, I'm glad their HS athletic careers are over. Too much stress for this old man!

Guest bleed orange

I understand completely. When my oldest daughter was a Freshman in HS (she's 28 years old now) she was playing in a tourney at Amarillo, Tx. The other team was in foul trouble and only had 3 girls on the court. The ref made sure that our girls couldn't get the ball past half court without calling a travel, double dribble or offensive foul. He was favoring the other team and making no attempt to conceal it. I wanted to confront him after the game and fortunately my wife got me cooled down and prevented me from doing something foolish. His name was Mal Carr and to this day, I have no use for the man.

As much as I enjoyed watching my kids play ball, I'm glad their HS athletic careers are over. Too much stress for this old man!

I agree again. I to am glad my daughters high school career is over. To much politics in high school. I hope I get to see her play at the next level.

Guest bleed orange

Bucster, you said it well.

Bleed...there are politics at every level of the game (in any game).  That is an unfortunate price to be paid when you strive to be the best and to play at the best level. 

I am slowly but surely getting over the game. See that was not so bad. I feel better already. :'( :(;):) ;D

I haven't followed this thread in its entirety but I think this same thing happened early in the season in a game with Silsbee and Hemphill.Of coarse the stakes weren' nearly as high but the call was exactly the same.That lends to another topic.Is a rule to be changed according to game situations or is a rule a rule?Just curious about people opinion. ??? ??? ???

The cheating must stop or what will become of the game?  We'll just keep telling each other to get over it,  right on into the future?  Wont we get tired of playing,  since it will all be rigged anyway.  Whats left of sport if we just throw in and say "they're right,  I gotta build a bridge and get over it".   That bridge gonna take us right back where we came from. Think about it.  Years ago this game and many more were likely played without referees.   Cheating is what created the need for referees, officials and authority.  

I'm not getting over it any time soon.   The problem needs attention.

We all need to get on the same side here and figure out a way to keep the officials honest.  Most are but some are not and those need to find another hobby or feel the pressure.  I'd still like to hear suggestions on how to fix the problem.

I think the rule staTes that a technical is called if the players step across the boundary line.I know this is a very unfortunate incident and if the call was made as a makeup it is dead wrong.My question( and I ask just to let folks vent) is if the players stepped on the court in any form should it have been a "T".If it's not called then the other team would have a legitimate complaint.My personal opinion is in a game this size you let the players decide the outcome,but there could definitely be an argument for the other side.JMO

The rules in question were discussed by referees at Hoopinsider.com a day or two after this game.  Those refs were in agreement that an illegal call was made and time was added to the clock that should not have been. 

The foul call against Orangefield as the clock ran out brought Navasota fans onto the court.  Everyone in the gym at that point knew the clock had run out.  We had an opportunity to win with free throws.  Time was added to the clock during the chaos.  The free throws were made and many thought at that point the game was won by Orangefield.  Then the one second on the clock became clear, and then we have a tech called against our bench. 

We depend on these officials to be ethical.  If they cannot they should be reported and TASO should handle it.  TASO must support their own Ethics guidelines found on their website or high school sports will degrade to a waste of time. 

Guest bleed orange

If play was going on at the time I could understand the tech for our girls being on the court. The ball had not been made ready for play yet. Matter of fact the Navasota kid had walked off the court because they thought they had lost. Don't worry dad33. I am not done yet. I feel a letter to the editor coming in the Navasota Examiner and also the Bryan Eagle newspapers.

Good Idea. Letters are good. Interested folks read. From the views these threads are getting it appears there are many interested folks. The problem been around a while.

Hey while your at it, you might ask them why Ethics Standards and Codes of Conduct for referees are so easy to locate on the TASO website.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder