Yates Wins By 100

What you said is very true in the inner city where atheletes are a dime a dozen...  But in the annexed areas such as Cypress, Fort Bend, Pearland, Deer Parks, even old Northshore there is coaching going on!!!  The less the talent the more the coaching...  So many schools in this area need to have good coaching....

Traditionally the only basketball talent has been at Lincoln, Central, Westbrook, Kountz, Silsbee, HJ, Brookland, and occassionally EC... 

Guest DickVitale

On the flip side of that, you need coaching where there is an abundance of talent as well.  See, what coaches often do not realize is that playoff basketball is COMPLETELY different from the regular season...(Ask Wheatley  ;)) That is the MAJOR difference...You can't expect the press that worked in November to be effective the exact same way in late February...Teams scout other teams, and teams improve, usually...You must do SOME things different, or you will be a memory come playoff time..There will be no more 100-97 games....games will be in the 50's and 60's and sometimes the 30's and 40's!! That is where MOST Houston squads will fall off...I am telling you...trust me! ;)

Guest DickVitale

uhhhhh....YEAH!!! :D...Coaches must remember...what goes around, comes right back around...You embarrass kids like that, unnecessarily, it will come back...in one way or another... ;)

On the flip side of that, you need coaching where there is an abundance of talent as well.  See, what coaches often do not realize is that playoff basketball is COMPLETELY different from the regular season...(Ask Wheatley  ;)) That is the MAJOR difference...You can't expect the press that worked in November to be effective the exact same way in late February...Teams scout other teams, and teams improve, usually...You must do SOME things different, or you will be a memory come playoff time..There will be no more 100-97 games....games will be in the 50's and 60's and sometimes the 30's and 40's!! That is where MOST Houston squads will fall off...I am telling you...trust me! ;)

The scrubs dissappear come play-off time and thats why the 40 - 60s game come in.....  And real coaches show up!

Guest DickVitale

I am starting to believe that I should be at least the co-intellectual on here....They hate me on here, but they MUST respect me cause I know my stuff!!  ;D ;D....(just kidding folks)...I am the only one that has to say that, or SOMEBODY will start hating on me even more!! :D

I am starting to believe that I should be at least the co-intellectual on here....They hate me on here, but they MUST respect me cause I know my stuff!!  ;D ;D....(just kidding folks)...I am the only one that has to say that, or SOMEBODY will start hating on me even more!! :D

so dickie V wit dat all said how do you feel about ozen vs yates............wut are ozen's chances when facing yates??

Willie has his hands full with Anthony Jones.  There is no glaring position stregnth or weakness other than that!

The difference is Boutte will slow the game down and Yates is not as good in the half court...  Giving Ozen the opportunity for victory...  But be careful because Yates is a third quarter team so you want to be up by ten at the half!

Guest DickVitale

Well, I have said this before.....Anthony Jones wants badly to play on the perimeter...If he does...Just wait until mid to late February...Both teams must first get through district and then win some playoff games before even thinking of facing off.... ::)....One game at a time....BUT, I CANNOT WAIT! ;)

Well, I have said this before.....Anthony Jones wants badly to play on the perimeter...If he does...Just wait until mid to late February...Both teams must first get through district and then win some playoff games before even thinking of facing off.... ::)....One game at a time....BUT, I CANNOT WAIT! ;)

me either dick i have faith in my boys and bouttee

DickieV - here is a coaching tip..

I really want Ozen to lose but if it is not to Central I want them to go all the way!!!!!

The key to stopping Yates is not their big D1 prospect...  The true catalyst to Yates team is the point guard Xavier Roberson...  This kid is smart, strong, and mentally ready.... He palys with a chip on his shoulder too.  He will have the ball in his hands at the end of the game not Anthony.   However he is overly aggressive at times on the defensive end of the game... He is smart enough to play in foul trouble but it will limit him.  Be aggressive with him when he is on defense, and take the ball out of his hand on offense!  Without him they wouldnt be where they are now.

Guest DickVitale

Coaching tip? for me? Gee, thanks... ::)....Yates guard play is good, but it won't beat you on both ends of the floor like a 6'10 COULD...They CANNOT shoot, however they rely on other teams guards to make mistakes, i.e. turnovers, and they capitilize and finish well.  Thanks for the "tip" though, my friend.. ::)...

Coaching tip? for me? Gee, thanks... ::)....Yates guard play is good, but it won't beat you on both ends of the floor like a 6'10 COULD...They CANNOT shoot, however they rely on other teams guards to make mistakes, i.e. turnovers, and they capitilize and finish well.  Thanks for the "tip" though, my friend.. ::)...

They have two lights out shooters of the bench!!!  One decent one starting...  But they are all slashers and of course you know that...  Every close game I have seen of Yates Roberson takes the last shoots....... OK :o ;D ;)

Don't look a gift in the mouth!

Guest DickVitale

Well Roberson, from what I have seen, is a scorer...He is not really a shooter...A guy that can score will sometimes make shots, and may even get hot at times, but a shooter is wayyyy more dangerous.  Daniel Gibson was a shooter...so dangerous...Daniel Ewing (Willowridge) could shoot, but was a scorer...Kenny Taylor (Willowridge) was the shooter. dangerous. Get the difference.  I see what you are saying, though.  ;)

Well Roberson, from what I have seen, is a scorer...He is not really a shooter...A guy that can score will sometimes make shots, and may even get hot at times, but a shooter is wayyyy more dangerous.  Daniel Gibson was a shooter...so dangerous...Daniel Ewing (Willowridge) could shoot, but was a scorer...Kenny Taylor (Willowridge) was the shooter. dangerous. Get the difference.  I see what you are saying, though.  ;)

I did not say Roberson was a shooter.. I said he was a finisher that will be the one finishing games...  Like Carlos Hurd... Remember! Elsik kid... that went on to be named Mr. basketball in Kentucky only to be thrown out by Rick Patino (spelling) at Louisville?

But I feel your comments too!

Allright, here you make a valid point. I watched a game last year between a very quick undisciplined team and a VERY slow, well coached team. The well coached team wins out every time. When you find a coach with disciplined kids that can change the pace of the game and play to another teams weaknesses then you win ball games. I don't care how fast or individually talented your opponent is, if you aren't well coached you won't go far!

well, austin is an impressive 3-21.  i'm curious to see what they've been losing their other games by.  we've seen some results nearing 100 in this area too, but it seems like the coaches here are decent enough to call off the dogs.  the game was 72-18 at halftime, but they kept pouring it on, outscoring their opponent 61-15 in the second half.  it seems to me that when a team in southeast texas is up like that at halftime, they find a way to make it a little closer in the second half to make things reasonable.

Nah! You gotta understand the mentality of the game (inner city schools)from outside of Southeast Texas. It's an aggressive game and thats the only way to play the game. You don't change your game plan because you're playing a weaker team. You play the way you practice. You practice the way you play.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder