*Nederland vs. PN-G.64-44 Nederland Wins/Comments*

Nederland bombs PN-G

The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES-GROVES — After dropping a pair of games last week to fall back in the mix of the District 22-4A standings, the Nederland Bulldogs desperately needed a victory over crosstown rival, PN-G on Tuesday night.

And for a team that has made it custom to start games slow, Nederland wasted no time in setting the pace at the Reservation.

The Dogs jumped out to a 14-7 lead in the first quarter and then dropped 23 more on the Indians in the second period to get out to a 37-18 lead at halftime.

In that second quarter, Nederland was paced by Francis Torres and Chris Hammond.

Hammond and Torres combined for 21 of Nederland's 23 points in the second quarter.

Torres, who had 20 on the night, scored 11 in the second frame. He also hit a three in the period.

Hammond hit two treys in the second quarter and scored 10 of his 18 points in the quarter.

Hammond also had seven boards in the contest, leading the way for the Bulldogs who had 23 rebounds as a team.

The Indians won the third quarter 12-9 and to cut the game to 46-30 to start the final eight minutes.

Nederland had done too much damage, however, and both teams coasted in the fourth quarter where the Dogs outscored the Tribe 18-14.

Travis Thompson led PNG with 13 points. He was the only Indian in double figures.

With the win, Nederland improves to 15-11 overall and 5-3 in district play and completed the season sweep over PN-G. Meanwhile, the Tribe falls to 10-13 overall and 1-7 in district and will travel to Lumberton on Friday.

PN-G beat Lumberton in its second district game of the season.

The Dogs 5-3 league mark keeps them in pace with Vidor, who beat Dayton 65-49 in Vidor on Tuesday night.

With that loss, Dayton falls to 4-4 and sits a game behind the Pirates and Nederland, who are tied for the third and final playoff spot.

Nederland is a great team with a great coach. Coach English is a phenominal coach and he sure did put it on Abel and the Tribe tonight. They really showed it tonight, the INDIANS had nothing going for them except Thompson doing what he does. He only had 13 but young man did all he could do. Didn't have much help which has been the story all year. Nederland has a great future for their ball club, and I wish them the best. The only positive I saw for PNG was Thompson's half court short at the end of the 2nd =). English uses his best player to their advantage running him off screen after screen, and Abel does nothing for Thompson or BIG man down low. Use your players to ur advantage for once! Did nothing last year with Kerr, Deron, and Thompson! English your a great coach good luck to ya'll in the playoffs. Thompson, Miller keep your heads up, ya'll played tough not much ya'll could do.

A coach can only do so much with what he has to work with. I have seen Coach Abel compete with the best in the district with fewer players he could work with. No one said any thing about Coach English not being a good coach after their loss with Vidor. And by the way basketballislife, Nederland does not have a playoff spot in this district yet. They have as good a shot as anyone but there are several other teams playing well now also. Nederland knows this as well as anyone.

Nederland is a great team with a great coach. Coach English is a phenominal coach and he sure did put it on Abel and the Tribe tonight. They really showed it tonight, the INDIANS had nothing going for them except Thompson doing what he does. He only had 13 but young man did all he could do. Didn't have much help which has been the story all year. Nederland has a great future for their ball club, and I wish them the best. The only positive I saw for PNG was Thompson's half court short at the end of the 2nd =). English uses his best player to their advantage running him off screen after screen, and Abel does nothing for Thompson or BIG man down low. Use your players to ur advantage for once! Did nothing last year with Kerr, Deron, and Thompson! English your a great coach good luck to ya'll in the playoffs. Thompson, Miller keep your heads up, ya'll played tough not much ya'll could do.

English is a good coach and he is utilizing his team as needed.  He has Torres and Hammond scoring, Pitts for defensive pressure, and Forney & Dean for boards.  Cooper adds energy.  They all know their roles and for the most part work as a team. 

As for as PNG, I believe Abel is doing his best with what he has.  Lost key players to grades.  I watched the same game you did and saw Thompson show a poor attitude and play selfish ball at times and the big guy is not playing like a big guy.  He had his shot blocked by a 6' guard.  A coach can't play the game or pass the classes for his players.  Thompson is talented but there is no room for individuals on a team.  I know he must feel like he has to carry the team but in the end it ends up hurting the team more.  PNG has to play together.  They still have that ability to play the spoiler if they put it together on any given night.   

Thompson pretty much has no help anymore. Miller is still there, but Block and Todd are gone. And if Im not mistaken Tezino and Weathersbee both failed. Not much they can do with whats left. And youre right, Abel doesnt do much to help the situation. MCsportsFan does make valid points as well, but if Abel didnt run off players before some key players failed he woulnt be in such a hole. And Thompson is selfish at times, which is not good but its somewhat understandable in his situation right now. Miller is pretty soft at 6'11".

Coach English is a great coach, and has a ton of talent over there right now. Ive been fortunate enough to know him for a while now and coach with and against him. Great guy, great coach. And Dionte is going to be one heck of a player for the next 3.5 years.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa