Lamar Cardinal football stadium

Wanted to start another thread for ideas on what the perfect LU Stadium would be like, somewhat realistically speaking. I saw some pics the other day of a stadium that would IMO be perfect for Lamar.

SMU_Gerald_Ford_Stadium.jpg

500389790_ac1fe92ec8.jpg?v=0

SMUownby.jpg

2_02-SMU_Large.jpg

Realistically without huge private donations theres no way Lamar has the money to build a stadium like this but a simular design with a smaller pressbox with our existing hill would work.

Guest abovetherim

Something similar would be an awesome stadium for Lamar University. I agree it would take some major donations to have a stadium this nice but I wouldn't doubt Dr. Simmons and Coach Tubbs. I've heard they are planning to have the best facilities in the SLC. Now, I haven't seen every Stadium but McNeese is putting $10 million into their stadium so I would assume from what I've heard the facilities will rival theirs.

Guest coachacola

SMU's stadium seats 32K.  If Cardinal Stadium was expanded to a horseshoe it would seat around 25K to 30K.  I think it's very possible that Lamar will have the money to create a nice 25K seat stadium.

Guest abovetherim

Where would the money come from for something like that?

Don't be surprised the amount of money spent if the students vote yes! That's all I can say at this point.

Just remembered where I've seen PNG 1992, I enjoy reading your posts on Orangebloods.com. You really know a lot about UT football! 

lol, small world and yes I frequent OB. Im actually ADMIN for them over there.

You do a fine job over here as well ATR, keep it up.

Guest abovetherim

oh and one more thing about the above mentioned stadium, it cost 42 million to build Gerald J Ford Stadium in Dallas in 1999.

Thanks for the complement 1992 but I've got a long way to go to get the Lamar Forum where it needs to be. Anytime you would like to give suggestions for me to do a better job here please feel free. I knew you were an administrator over there at orangebloods.com! UT is my second favorite school so I view OB quite often. You do a great job there.

Now as for as the stadium at Lamar there is a lot more money raised than most people know but I don't see a stadium costing $42 million. I do see them having renovations to Cardinal Stadium costing somewhere between $15-$20 million. Maybe a few million more depending on private donations being more than I heard they were back in September. I wouldn't be surprise to see Lamar change the name of the stadium to honor a person putting up some big time money.

Guest coachacola

Central Florida's brand new stadium cost between $50 and $60 million so a new stadium for Lamar is out of the question.  But most schools don't build new stadiums, they keep renovating the one they have, and a lot of schools of stadiums a lot older than Cardinal Stadium.  I think for $20 million Lamar can have a very nice 18,000 to 25,000 seat stadium. 

I know abovetherim isn't a fan of Tulsa, but they're renovating their stadium at a cost of about $20 to $24 million.  They are reducing capacity to 26K, adding field turf, a $1.5 million scoreboard, and 6,800 bench seats with chairbacks.  Their stadium is 76 year old.  Tulsa received a large gift to renovate the stadium and as a result their stadium is getting a new name.

http://www.utulsa.edu/physicalplant/projects/projects_stadium.shtml

Guest abovetherim

Coachacola, you know me pretty well. I don't care for Tulsa but that is awesome what they are doing with their stadium. I can see Lamar doing something similar. Ozen, man you don't have to believe me but they have been working behind the scenes for 5 years now and the amount of money pledged back in September floored me! They aren't going halfheartedly into bringing back football.

Guest abovetherim

Haha those golden hurricanes... Funny stuff on jucojunciton.

Yep, I tangled with someone by the user-name Gold or something like that. It was some funny stuff on jucojunction and their fan site. I still haven't figured out what the heck is a "Golden Hurricane"?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86