My thoughts on Big Sandy's chances of going to state

bobcatfan

I've seen quite a few 1A teams and games over the past few weeks and been able to see some teams and i though i would assess Big Sandy's chances of making it out of region 3.  There may be a few sleepers i dont know about, but here is how i would rank the 1A contenders to this point...

1. Cayuga

2. Martins Mill

3. Big Sandy

4. Broaddus- (i rank them behind Big Sandy since they lost to BS, but they are pretty even and could easily beat BS at home or on a neutral site)

5. Slocum

Other very good teams to consider that i think could beat Big Sandy on a given night

Spurger

Lapoynor

Zavalla

Mt Enterprise (not sure how good they are really, heard they lost their best player, we'll find out more in the next couple weeks.)

Avery (dont know much about them, but they play martins mill next week so we'll find out how good they are.)

I saw all 5 teams in the top 5 play this weekend and heres what happened and my thoughts

Big Sandy beat Broaddus by 2 at Big Sandy

Cayuga beat Broaddus by 2 at Martins Mill

Cayuga beat Martins Mill by 8 at MM

Slocum beat a top 1A div II team Brookeland last week by 2

Cayuga- maybe the best team i think in the region, they might be the most athletic too. they have stud #3 in Summerville is as good as anyone.  Their size and athleticism could be problems for BS.

Martins Mill- very well coached, every player is smart, fundamentally sound, and can shoot it...they can easily beat anyone in the region

Broaddus- Big, physical, and athletic, very good rebounding team wins on the boards.  Broaddus rebounding ability could hurt BS in the playoffs.

Slocum- plays very well as a team, has some good shooters, plays tough defense

I would say Cayuga and Martins Mill are the top 2 teams, but i consider Big Sandy and Broaddus right there behind them, very capable of winning against them.  I would put Slocum on the next level of teams capable of pulling an upset, along with Spurger, Lapoyner and Zavalla.

Based on the brackets and district projections, here is the likely road for Big Sandy to win region 3:

first round: bye

2nd round: Grapeland/Lovelady likely (although i dont know much about 21-1A, they werent good last year in playoffs)

3rd round: Slocum/Zavalla

semi finals: Cayuga/Martins Mill

finals: Cayuga/Martins Mill or maybe Broaddus

So with Cayuga and Martins Mill being in the same district, they will be on opposite sides of the bracket. So its likely Big Sandy will likely have to beat Cayuga and Martins Mill to get out of the region, along with Slocum or Zavalla which could give them a tough game.  Thats a tough road through region 3, and i'll say whoever comes out of this region, definitely will earn it....

I posted this on eastexsports.com if you want to read posters responses and debates over there, you probably do if you're a Big Sandy fan....

Your thoughts on BS are so-so---You need to look and see who BS has play. Compare to MM and CAYUGA. I think BS has play the better teams,they still have got the EC tour. 12-27-29 They open up with HJ. Alot of good teams in that tour. you are right that reg.will have some good teams there. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Your thoughts on BS are so-so---You need to look and see who BS has play. Compare to MM and CAYUGA. I think BS has play the better teams,they still have got the EC tour. 12-27-29 They open up with HJ. Alot of good teams in that tour. you are right that reg.will have some good teams there. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

I agree Big Sandy has played a tough schedule no doubt, i never said they didnt.  Martins Mill always plays a tough challenging schedule too though.  From what i found, they've played Lufkin Hudson (good 3A team), Van (good 3A team), Crandall (3A), Edgewood (ranked 2A team), Brownsboro (good 3A team) Broaddus (ranked 1A) Laneville (1A div 2 state champ last year), Pittsburg (ranked in 6th in 3A), and they're playing in the whataburger tournament...Cayuga just got out of football, but they've beaten Arp (#1 in 2A) and played Frankston, and are scheduled to play Kennard, Sabine (3A), Goodrich (ranked #1 in 1A div 2), and Slocum.  While BS has played a tough schedule to date, these schedules are easily comparable to Big Sandys.  Me and my friend (who is a head bball coach) watched Martins Mill, Cayuga, Big Sandy and Broaddus this week and have drawn our conclusions from watching them play in person.  They are all 4 very close, any of them could come out of the region.  If any 4 come out of the region i wont be shocked..  But i would rank Cayuga and Martins Mill just ahead of Big Sandy, thats no slight to them, those are 2 great teams... These teams can beat the best in 2A and very good 3A teams and good 4A teams...  This is just my opinion on these top 1A teams but i imagine there are others that would agree...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83