Tatum score/State Title Game/Farmersville Wins 2A D1 Title Over Tatum

What a great game.  Only one turnover for both teams.  Very few penalties.  Running backs for both teams had huge games.  Farmers defense came up big in overtime and forced Tatum into fourth and long and they kicked a field goal.  Big mistake.  Great pass play called by Farmersville for the touchdown because Tatum was bringing their safeties the whole second half and Farmersville had only completed two passes all night.  First State Championship for the Farmers.  Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Diving catch in overtime secures Farmersville state championship, place in history

By Travis Summers

(Created: Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:49 AM CST) 

| Text Size |  Print Version | E-mail This Story

McKinney Courier-Gazette

CORSICANA - All season long, Quincy Roberts has told Austin Brooks that if the Farmersville sophomore quarterback could manage to get a pass off, then Roberts was going to make the catch.

Despite that guarantee, Brooks didn’t think there was any way his senior tight end could catch the ball he threw into the corner of the end zone on the Farmers’ second offense play in overtime.

But Roberts proved he was a man of his word when he sprinted toward the ball, dove parallel with the ground, and caught the pass, securing a 27-24 overtime victory for the Farmers against Tatum in the Class 2A Division I state championship Saturday.

“Quincy was waving his arm running toward the corner of the end zone and when he does that he’s telling me to throw him the football right now,†Brooks said. “As soon as he put his hands on it in mid-air I knew he wasn’t going to drop it. Then I realized that we had just won the state championship.â€

The catch occurred two plays after Farmersville (13-2) forced Tatum (13-2) into a 30-yard field goal on its overtime possession, and as soon as Roberts had landed with the ball firmly secured in arms, the Farmers began to celebrate their first state championship in school history. “This is the best moment of my life,†Roberts said. “I couldn’t breathe when everybody was jumping on top of me in the end zone. I was crying at the bottom of that pile, trying to soak it all in.â€

At halftime, the game didn’t appear to be headed for overtime as Farmerville dominated both sides of the football during the first 24 minutes. The Farmers’ offense out-gained Tatum 189 to 73 yards and held a 14-0 lead with five minutes left in the second quarter.

But Tatum put a huge dent in the Farmers’ momentum with a 10-play, 80-yard drive at the end of the quarter that ended with a three-yard touchdown run from running back Bryce Beall that cut the Farmersville lead in half.

Tatum erased that lead completely on the first drive of the third quarter when Beall carried the ball on six of the Eagles’ next seven plays, including a 17-yard touchdown to make it a 14-14 tie.

The Tatum momentum continued to build as Farmersville was forced to go three-and-out on its next possession.

But Tatum’s mojo would continue through its next drive as the Eagles were faced with a fourth-and-one situation at the Farmers’ 37-yard line. Tatum handed the ball to its biggest weapon, Beall, but Farmersville sophomore defensive tackle Payton Adams beat his blocker off the line of scrimmage and stuffed Beall in the backfield for a 2-yard loss and a turnover on downs.

“I got excited after the play because I knew it was going to do a lot for us, momentum-wise,†Adams said. “I knew it was going to help get our confidence back up. I wasn’t trying to make a big play right there, though. I was trying to go in there and do my best and just try to get a stop.â€

With Adams’ drive-killing stop providing the fuel, Farmersville motored its way back into the lead on a 10-play, 61-yard drive that ended with Tajh Redwine’s third rushing touchdown of the game.

That lead was short-lived, however, because Beall, who finished with 222 rushing yards, helped lead Tatum back into the end zone on the Eagles’ next possession. Tatum tied the game, 21-21, on a 21-yard bootleg keeper from quarterback Cashas Pollard.

That score would hold up throughout the rest of regulation and force the overtime period.

On the first play in overtime, Beall took a handoff 15 yards to the 10-yard line, but the Farmer defense clamped down and pushed Tatum back three yards on its next three plays to force the 30-yard field goal.

That overtime field goal put Farmersville in a hole to start its overtime possession, but that didn’t stop Roberts or the rest of the Farmers from scoring their history-making touchdown only two plays later.

“This is the best team that I’ve ever coached,†Wright said. “They proved it tonight. This team will go down in history as the team that beat Tatum, the two-time defending state champion. They’ve made a mark on history that nobody can ever take away from them.

“Anytime somebody goes to write a book about Texas high school football, they’ll have to write about the Farmersville Farmers beating Tatum in overtime,†Wright added. “That will be their history.â€

Farmersville 27, Tatum 24

At Corsicana’s Tiger Stadium

Score by Quarters

FARM 7 7 0 7 6 27

TATM 0 7 7 7 3 24

Scoring Summary

First Quarter

FARM n Tajh Redwine 62-yard run (James Wise kick)

Second Quarter

FARM n Redwine 6-yard run (Wise kick)

TATM n Bryce Beall 3-yard run (Jose Trejo kick)

Third Quarter

TATM n Beall 17-yard run (Trejo kick)

Fourth Quarter

FARM n Redwine 4-yard run (Wise kick)

TATM n Cashas Pollard 21-yard (Trejo kick)

First Overtime

TATM n Trejo 30-yard field goal

FARM n Austin Brooks 23-yard pass to Quincy Roberts

Team Statistics FRM TATM

First Downs 15 23

Rushes-Yards 38-285 56-299

Passing Yards 56 103

Total Yards 341 402

Passing 3-8-1 6-12-0

Total Punting 3-104 2-64

Penalties-Yards 2-8 2-14

Fumbles-Lost 2-0 1-0

Individual Statistics

Rushing n FARM: Tajh Redwine 24-196, Chase Wiggins 2-46, Austin Brooks 5-33, Nickevian Taylor 7-10; TATM: Bryce Beall 38-222, Cashas Pollard 7-41, Calvin Stoker 10-30, Clarence Blackmon 1-6.

Passing n FARM: Austin Brooks 3-8-1, 56 yards; TATM: Cashas Pollard 6-12-0, 103 yards.

Receiving n FARM: Nickevian Taylor 2-33, Quincy Roberts 1-23; TATM: Clarence Blackmon 4-77, D.J. Whiting 2-26.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124