Spring Westfield QB Commits to...

Jan. 21, 2006, 12:58AM

Beasley commits to Rice

Westfield QB impressed with new coaches

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Rice football coach Todd Graham has hinted several times that Owls fans will be pleasantly surprised with the school's recruiting haul once national signing day is complete Feb. 1.

On Friday, those fans received some excellent news 12 days ahead of schedule.

Westfield quarterback Pierre Beasley (6-4, 200 pounds) gave a commitment to Rice late Thursday — a move that validates Graham's reputation as a stellar recruiter.

Beasley, rated by Rivals.com as the 25th best dual-threat quarterback prospect in the nation, led Westfield to a 24-3 record as a two-year starter, including a berth in the Class 5A Division I final in 2004. Westfield fell in the 2005 5A-I semis to Converse Judson 17-14 after Beasley was sidelined with an ankle injury early in the second half.

"It was a great opportunity for me to play early," said Beasley, who completed 161 of 245 attempts for 2,840 yards and 34 TDs as the Mustangs' starter. "It was a good fit for me."

Beasley, who also rushed for 618 yards and 20 TDs, will get an opportunity to compete for the starting job as a freshman.

The Owls have three quarterbacks on their roster — Joel Armstrong, Chase Clement and John Shepherd. Armstrong, who will be a fourth-year junior this season, might switch to another position as Rice shifts to a spread offense.

Aside from the chance to play immediately, Beasley cited Graham's enthusiasm and Owls offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Major Applewhite as factors in his decision. Applewhite worked with Texas quarterback Vince Young as a graduate assistant at UT, and Beasley aspires to duplicate the career Young enjoyed with the Longhorns.

"He came and is shaking up things," Beasley said of Graham. "You can tell he's ready to go to work. I honestly think we have a chance to turn the program around in one season.

"Coach Applewhite I'm just hoping I can pick at his brain and learn a lot from him."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder