3rd Round Playoff Teams - Statewide Geography

WOS87

Region I teams in GREEN

Region II teams in BLUE

Region III teams in YELLOW

Region IV teams in RED

For those of you who have ever wondered "Where the heck is Turkey Valley?" You will find the answer here...  ;D  All 144 remaining playoff teams going in to Week 3 of the playoffs from 6-man all the way up to 5A are labelled on the maps below.  It doesn't look like any particular part of the state is dominating but it is still early....

West Texas

2007west.jpg

Texas Panhandle

2007panhandle.jpg

Dallas-Fort Worth Area

2007dfw.jpg

Central Texas

2007centex.jpg

East Texas

2007east.jpg

Southeast Texas

2007southeast.jpg

South Central Texas

2007south.jpg

South Texas

2007rgv.jpg

WOS87....

About ten years ago I was listening to a sports radio show and they were talking about the strongest football areas historically in the state of Texas.

The way the guest explained how he calculated the historical strong areas of the state was by putting push pins on a state wide map for every school that won a state championship.

When he was done he said there were three spots where the pins were concentrated the most.

They were...

The Odessa Midland area, the Abilene area, and.....

drum roll......

The Golden Triangle area....

Wonder how this would look now with the recent state championship success of Katy, South Lake Carrol, and LaMarque...

If you got time.....

Do you think you can get a state wide map and put dots on it to show what part of the state has the most state champions...

I have always been curious to what this looks like.

Thanks for all the charts and graphs you provide for this web site, it sure does make this site much better.

AWEsomely

PURPLE4EVER

Do you think you can get a state wide map and put dots on it to show what part of the state has the most state champions...

I have always been curious to what this looks like.

Thanks for all the charts and graphs you provide for this web site, it sure does make this site much better.

AWEsomely

PURPLE4EVER

It should be pretty easy to do....  the only thing I have close to that that's already done is the following, it shows the location of almost half of all the titles that have ever been won.  I made it as a "Texas High School Football Geography Quiz", thus the numbers labelling each of the markers.  The 5A crowd did not do well at ALL on this but the 3A crowd worked together and had all but one of the answers correct within an hour. I'll leave it up without the answers if anyone wants to give it a shot.   Here's the original post verbatim:

Okay... the 5A folk did NOT do particularly well on this one, which is to be expected.  Let's see if anyone a bit more acquainted with the smaller towns of Texas can do better.   The following map shows the 36 Texas high school programs that have won 3 or more UIL 11-man football state titles (1A thru 5A) since they started awarding them back in 1920.  Combined, these 36 schools have won 155 state titles which is 44% of the all-time total ever awarded.

They are labelled differently according to how many championships they won:

Dark Blue = 7 titles each

Red = 6 titles each

Green = 5 titles each

Light Blue = 4 titles each

Yellow = 3 titles each

How many can you name without cheating and looking at (1) a map or (2) a list of past state champions?

champs.gif

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami