*Ozen vs. Memorial/OZEN WINS 62-59/COMMENTS**

KFDM COOP

Ozen holds off Memorial rally for 62-59 victory

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

Like a great heavyweight bout, Ozen and Memorial’s basketball game on Tuesday night started slow and ended with haymakers.

Ozen led 51-38 with 6:25 to play in the fourth period and seemed to be pulling away.

But behind J’Covan Brown’s 15 fourth-quarter points, Memorial came back swinging with a 16-4 run to close the score to 56-55 with 2:20 to play. Brown, who had only eight points in the first half, sank a trey to narrow the deficit to one point.

That was as close as the Titans would come, however, as Ozen held on for a 62-59 victory.

Willie Jefferson’s slam off an alley opp broke Memorial’s momentum and gave Ozen a 58-55 lead. After Ozen went up 60-55, a Brown free throw with 1:24 cut to 60-56 and it became 60-58 when Shaquille White scored off a steal.

With the win, Ozen starts its season 1-0 and now has a 5-3 lead in the series with Memorial.

With the loss, Memorial falls to 0-1 to start the season. The Titans return to action Saturday when they host Westfield.

The Titans led 25-24 at halftime. They took the lead for the first time with less than three minutes to go in the half when JeKore Tyler hit a 15-footer.

Tyler finished the game with six points. He was joined by Tevin Turner who had six points and Shaquille White had 10 points.

Brown led all players with his 32 points. It was the third straight game Brown scored more than 30 points against Ozen.

Meanwhile, Ozen got rolling in the third quarter when it outscored the Titans 21-13.

The Panthers trailed 29-24 early in the third quarter but went on a 16-2 run to take a 40-31 lead with less than two minutes to play in the period. Jacoby Joseph, who led the Panthers with 17 points, had eight of the 16 points during the third-quarter rally to help his team roar from behind.

Ozen outrebounded the Titans 25-20, with Willie Jefferson claiming nine missed shots and Joseph collecting five. Jefferson also scored seven points. Jamarcus Jones was Memorial’s leading rebounder with six. Darius Harris had five.

Quincy Johnson backed Joseph’s scoring with 13 points for the Panthers.

“This was a big win for us,†said Ozen’s head coach Andre Boutte. “This is a great way to start the season. They are a very tough team and this was a very tough game. It was hot, humid and I knew they (Memorial) was going to make a run at us late. I was really proud that our boys hung in their when we could have let up and I thought we fought hard down the stretch.â€

Memorial has some tall guys but Ozens tall guys are beast...  They have meat on their bones... PA guys were skinny!!!  Ozen plays a 6'5" guard and the football boys weren't allowed to be  a big part of the game...  Ozen is much better but the game was physical and Brown deserved every call he got!  So did Ozen!  Both teams will be hard to deal with!

This was a classic battle!  J'Covan started the game cold and really didn't pick it up until late in the 3rd and the whole fourth quarter (15 pts in the 4th).  He ended with 32.......Memorials kids are in no way bigger than that of Ozen especially with Willie Jefferson and Jacolby Joseph on the blocks, an they definetly don't play bigger....DeCarlos Franks is as quick and as smooth a point guard as I've seen in recent years, but foul trouble didn't allow him to play the whole 2nd quarter.  He stepped it up in the 3rd and was the main contributer in that 16-2 run.  All in all it was a great game to watch......I'm just wonderin why do you not foul down by three with 10 sec. to play..........brain fart I guess :-\

So there was no one besides brown that steped up?  Trust me Scooter, Titans will be ok.  Losing to Ozen by 3 points means you will be battle tested come playoffs and district.

oh yeah, they get better as the year goes along, if only they can beat Kingwood man.

Scooter Ozen won the game but what you dont know is that Buckner Didnt suit up for the game; disciplinary actions for cursing a ref. he would have contributed at least 15 points. Not having him was huge I dont care what the OZEN lovers have to say. Ozen is a Good team and I wish them the best but I feel they lose that one if Buckner plays.

Scooter Ozen won the game but what you dont know is that Buckner Didnt suit up for the game; disciplinary actions for cursing a ref. he would have contributed at least 15 points. Not having him was huge I dont care what the OZEN lovers have to say. Ozen is a Good team and I wish them the best but I feel they lose that one if Buckner plays.

I forgot all about Buckner....oh well they will meet again. And cursing a ref? I thought this was the first game?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83