Baseball GMs recommend replay for first time

Baseball GMs recommend replay for first time

Selig said to be softening stance on new technology

ORLANDO, Fla. - For the first time Tuesday, baseball general managers recommended instant replay be used to help umpires make difficult decisions.

The recommendation, by a 25-5 vote, was limited to boundary calls - whether potential home runs are fair or foul, whether balls go over fences or hit the top and bounce back, and whether fans interfere with possible homers.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig opposes the use of replays but said last month he was willing to let GMs examine the issue.

"I don't like instant replay because I don't like all the delays. I think it sometimes creates as many problems or more than it solves,'' Selig said then.

But Jimmie Lee Solomon, an executive vice president in the commissioner's office, thinks Selig's stance has changed a bit recently.

"He seemed to be softer, at least on the consideration of the subject,'' Solomon said Tuesday.

He added it was unclear how the proposal will proceed and acknowledged there is "glacier-like movement in baseball'' when it comes to innovation. Solomon said if Selig is willing, the commissioner probably would run the idea by owners. The plan needs approval from the players' association and umpires.

Solomon said GMs favored having a Major League Baseball official in a central place with access to all camera angles. If there is a disputed call, that official would be contacted and would view the television replay to make a decision.

"We have a very technologically savvy group of GMs,'' Solomon said. ``I was surprised that we had five teams that said no.''

Solomon also said that to speed up games, baseball was considering limiting the number of times a hitter could step out of the batter's box during an at-bat and the number of times any player could visit the mound.

I have no problem with this... if you limit it to boundary plays, then it's not going to be used that often.  I watch baseball every night during the season, and these plays don't happen too often.  I would think that there might only be four or five instances a night across the entire league that this is needed, so the delays won't occur too much.  Also, if you have someone looking upstairs, they'll often know what happened before the pitcher is ready to pitch again, or before a runner is through with his homerun trot around the bases.  Also, it will help make sure that these calls are correct.  It sucks to lose a game on a HR or a ball down the line that the umpire can't really see.  Remember the snickers commercial?  Fair, or foul?

baseball is the last sport not to use instant replay, there is no need to change that now.  mistakes are a part of life if a bad call is made its just somethin you have to live with.  the challenge has ruined football taking the game out of the refs hands, they are out there to make calls and what they say should stand... whether it be right or wrong.  why have refs or umpires if what they call is not gonna stand.  to sum it up baseball would be smart not to instate replay into the game, keeep it the way it is and play the game.

baseball is the last sport not to use instant replay, there is no need to change that now.  mistakes are a part of life if a bad call is made its just somethin you have to live with.  the challenge has ruined football taking the game out of the refs hands, they are out there to make calls and what they say should stand... whether it be right or wrong.  why have refs or umpires if what they call is not gonna stand.  to sum it up baseball would be smart not to instate replay into the game, keeep it the way it is and play the game.

Why do bad calls need to remain in sports if there is an efficient way of eliminating them.  I can guarantee you that a referee who makes a bad call feels good when it's reversed.  It gives the officials a chance to get out from under a bad call, and not be known as "the ref that cost us the game last year".  Why should what the officials say stand when they are completely wrong, and video proves it. 

Why do bad calls need to remain in sports if there is an efficient way of eliminating them.  I can guarantee you that a referee who makes a bad call feels good when it's reversed.  It gives the officials a chance to get out from under a bad call, and not be known as "the ref that cost us the game last year".  Why should what the officials say stand when they are completely wrong, and video proves it. 

an official is there for a reason... he makes a call and should stand by it whether it be right or wrong... that is why he is there now if you want to let a guy in the booth with a tv in front of him call the game and take the officials off the field, go ahead.  but as long as the officials stay on the field what they call should stand thats why they are there.

I have no problem with this... if you limit it to boundary plays, then it's not going to be used that often.  I watch baseball every night during the season, and these plays don't happen too often.  I would think that there might only be four or five instances a night across the entire league that this is needed, so the delays won't occur too much.  Also, if you have someone looking upstairs, they'll often know what happened before the pitcher is ready to pitch again, or before a runner is through with his homerun trot around the bases.  Also, it will help make sure that these calls are correct.  It sucks to lose a game on a HR or a ball down the line that the umpire can't really see.  Remember the snickers commercial?  Fair, or foul?

It always did make me laugh.  I found it on youtube.

an official is there for a reason... he makes a call and should stand by it whether it be right or wrong... that is why he is there now if you want to let a guy in the booth with a tv in front of him call the game and take the officials off the field, go ahead.  but as long as the officials stay on the field what they call should stand thats why they are there.

You need the officials on the field to keep the game moving and to enforce the rules, but if a video review can correct a missed call that will affect the outcome of the game, and if it can correct this call in a timely manner, then it's a great thing.  The only plays that are reviewable are issues that are in black and white, such as a ball curving around the foul post, or a ball hitting at the top of the fence. video replay can clearly show what happened on plays like these.  they're not going to use it to nitpick balls and strikes, so i don't really understand your reasoning behind letting a missed call stand just for the sole reason that the umpire made it so you have to live with it.  it's the same with the NFL.  Replay is used to determine fumbles and catches and whatnot, but it's not used to question the officials when they call holding or pass intereference.  those are left to the judgement of the official, but some plays can and should be reviewed.

the reason i say that is because, yes now they say it is only going to be used for balls that are not easily determined as homeruns, but later on i gurantee you it will get out of hand and coaches will start wanting to use for safe and out calls balls and strikes. that may not happen the first or second year it is instated but trust me after awhile they will start to use the excuse we have instant replay why not use for other calls.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124