4A - All District Picks Questioned

dav-joel

Guest kingme2007

Hardly seems like a special honor when 2/3 or (67%*) of the district's starters are all district picks. 

* = 8 Teams, 11 on the field = 88 total.  59 / 88 = .67

Guest kingme2007

I guess soccer players start out as youngsters getting trophies for every game.  Why not just keep it going throughout their whole career.  After all, their feelings are at stake.

Let's just make every soccer player an all district athelete to keep their wittle pamepered behinds from feeling left out and unawarded.

Thanks - 10 teams.

That is still over half making All District - Doesn't sound like an "elite squad" to me.

Why not a first and second team of 11 players each?

I don't understand the philosophy of 26 players on first team and an additional 26 players on 2nd.

Last year 22 4A Basketball named 23 players to their 1st and 2nd Team and MVP list.  8 x 5 = 40.  23 / 40 = .58.  That's a higher % than soccer.

Baseball named numerous pitchers, DH's, and utility players to their post district teams and ended up with 44.  You could argue that baseball uses more than 9 players in a game because of multiple pitchers, DH's, etc. so you really can't put a % on that sport, but that's still a big number.

You might think the honor is watered down, but I would say two things about that.  The players who receive these awards don't think it's watered down, and soccer is not the only sport putting up so many players.

I guess soccer players start out as youngsters getting trophies for every game.  Why not just keep it going throughout their whole career.  After all, their feelings are at stake.

Let's just make every soccer player an all district athelete to keep their wittle pamepered behinds from feeling left out and unawarded.

With the numbers posted above from baseball and basketball, make sure you go on those boards and post something similar.  We wouldn't want those guys with their wittle pampered behinds feeling left out and unawarded either.

Guest kingme2007

With the numbers posted above from baseball and basketball, make sure you go on those boards and post something similar.  We wouldn't want those guys with their wittle pampered behinds feeling left out and unawarded either.

No post like this was started on those boards, so my similar post would make no sense.  If the numbers posted from above are in fact accurate, then they too are absurd. 

Last year 22 4A Basketball named 23 players to their 1st and 2nd Team and MVP list.  8 x 5 = 40.  23 / 40 = .58.  That's a higher % than soccer.

Baseball named numerous pitchers, DH's, and utility players to their post district teams and ended up with 44.  You could argue that baseball uses more than 9 players in a game because of multiple pitchers, DH's, etc. so you really can't put a % on that sport, but that's still a big number.

You might think the honor is watered down, but I would say two things about that.  The players who receive these awards don't think it's watered down, and soccer is not the only sport putting up so many players.

Exactly -- It is not just soccer -- thats just the thread I'm on and I'm much more familiar with soccer.

I think it is watered down in other sports also and it is not an elite honor when the majority of starters will be all district. 53%? ? Come on.

Also several players that truly deserve to be All District would question the worthiness of 10th player on the Lumberton Squad making All District. Yes it is very "non-elite".

Just call it 4A Honorable mentions and name everybody that you can remember.

In many districts, part of the problem is the great disparity in talent between schools.  In some districts, in some years, an 11 player all-district team would rightfully be comprised of 9, 10, or 11 of the starters from the district champion.  Allowing more numbers on the all-district squads spreads the wealth around so to speak.

Guest kingme2007

You guys are a bunch of cry babies.  For shame.  And Coop, if I have performed any bannable offenses, please delete my profile ASAP. I do not want to offend any body.

one could argue that with only 5 starters,  basketball teams are more likely to have all-district quality players coming off the bench.  in HS soccer, if you have four quality strikers, instead of bring two off the bench, you're probably going to stick them in midfield or defense, thus ensuring you have your best players in.  In basketball, you can only do so much with 4 centers.  Playing time is more likely to be evenly distributed between some of the starters and subs, and it's not unlikely that some of those subs get all-district.  I doubt that there were many all-district quality soccer players coming off the bench last year.  i do agree with you that there are several sports honoring too many players.  I'd like to see the 1st and 2nd teams consisting of the amount of players that would start a game in the sport that is being played, and then having honorable mention consisting of maybe the same amount of players honored between the 1st and 2nd teams.

baseball: 9 on 1st team, 9 on 2nd, 18 honorable mention

basketball: 5 on 1st team, 5 on 2nd, 10 honorable mention

and so on with the other sports

That comment makes no sense.  If someone is stupid, how can he also be insulting?  Unless the insultee is more stupid than the insultor.

if you read his post it was very stupid and it insutled me...so what i said does make since. but good try at trying to make me look stupid...you'll get em' next time

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder