School Mergers....Who Would You Like To See Merge?

I've said before that I'd like to see a PNG / Nederland ISD merger, keeping the high schools separate.  It would pull PNG out of Robin Hood and supply Nederland with some much needed valuation for the bond they are looking at.

Before PNG's bond passed I even speculated that a Galena Park type stadium could have been built behind HEB on Twin City Hwy for both schools to use.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier in the thread the Hull-Daisetta, Hardin, Liberty merger idea came up. I know for a fact, that it's been discussed at length from the "higher ups" about this possiblity. From what I've heard is that Liberty County has six school districts and only two of them are "making money" or breaking even, whatever that means. Dayton and Hardin (or Tarkington) are the only two that are doing well running independently.

The initial idea was to have a super merger of Liberty County and only have two school districts. HD,Hardin and Liberty and Dayton, Tarkington, and Cleveland. Basically you'd have a North Liberty Co. High and a South Liberty Co. High or something to that effect. Later it was supposedly said that Dayton should remain on it's own, due to the rapid increase in enrollment over the last few years, and it doesnt' look like it's going to change anytime soon, so Tarkington and Cleveland would merge. Still cutting the school districts in half throughout the county.

This makes alot of sense to me. I dont' know if I'm a fan of it, but it would work. HD, Liberty and Hardin are basically in a triangle geographically from each other. From what I understand, all the elementry schools and junior highs in current locations would stay in tact and a new high school would be built. I'm sure some of the current locations would be shut down, that's the point, to save the state/county some money. HD's junior high in Raywood and Hardin's elementry are two of the older facilities that would most likely close, possibly amongst others. The three current high schools would either serve as a 9-10th grade school for it's local community or would somehow be used for other grades and allow the possiblity of closing other campus' that are older and need improvements. A couple locations being considered for this new Super School are Hwy 834 between Hardin and Hull or FM2830N which is pretty much exactly in the middle of all locations with access from FM160 (HD folks from Raywood, Hull, and Daisetta, and Liberty enrollment from Ames and Devers) and HWY 146 which would serve as a route from Liberty and Hardin from respective directions. That location (if it was the chosen one and could be obtained) is about +- 9 miles from HD HS, 6 miles from Hardin HS and 7 miles from Liberty HS, give or take on all of them. That's not too big of a deal to me, especially if local JH's and Elementry's would stay available for each community, basically merging only the HS's. At current enrollments, Liberty is at 672, Hardin at 369, and HD at 183 would give the new highschool an enrollment of 1224 students, placing it somewhere in the small/middle size of 4A in the area. Hello PN-G, Nederland ect.

If the three north Liberty Co. schools merged, it would create an enrollment of 2835 students, which would be dead center among 5A enrollments in the area. Dayton, Tarkington and Cleveland would be a similar merger and could even be done easier since a location on FM 321 north of Dayton would make all the sense in the world. If Dayton stayed independent (which would most likely happen), Cleveland and Tarkington's enrollments would combine to make 1396 students, a middle of the line 4A as well.

If this was to happen, it would be something to see. That'd mean all schools in Liberty county would be 4A's with the two new merged schools joining Dayton in the ranks. Wanna talk about some instant rivalries!!! :o Not to mention what that would mean to 4A's in the local Beaumont area including Lumberton, Nederland, PN-G, Ozen, Central and so on. I think it'd be pretty cool myself.

Just some food for thought. Sorry to ramble on so long, but this is pretty interesting to me and maybe it will be to some of you guys as well. I think that HD, Liberty, Hardin combo might be able to make some noise down the road. (after all the fistfights were over with after the first week of opening the new school)!!!!!

Guest TravelingBandsman

I could see Cleveland and Tarkington possibly merging because most of the time, people from Tarkington will claim to be from Cleveland or such. Would they still call it Cleveland High School or something like North Liberty High School. The other merger I don't see happening. Liberty is too independent as it is and Hardin will probably want to stay separate. Hull-Daisetta I think though should be ceded more territory in the Raywood and Devers area though.

I could see Cleveland and Tarkington possibly merging because most of the time, people from Tarkington will claim to be from Cleveland or such. Would they still call it Cleveland High School or something like North Liberty High School. The other merger I don't see happening. Liberty is too independent as it is and Hardin will probably want to stay separate. Hull-Daisetta I think though should be ceded more territory in the Raywood and Devers area though.

Cleveland/Tarkington does make alot of sense to me as well. The Hull-Daisetta ISD already contains all of Hull (all the way to the Hardin Co. line, which is where WH's district begins), all of Daisetta, and all of Raywood. Devers has it's own elementry and junior high and the high school students in Devers have the option of going to Hull-Daisetta or Liberty. From what I understand it's pretty split right now and there's not a huge makeup of HS kids from Devers anyway. I think HD's boundries are as far as they can go.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476