Retiring Coach Doesn't Like Direction Of Game

Retiring coach doesn't like direction of game

Retiring Nederland basketball coach Laurence Williams made me puff out my chest last weekend, when, while discussing his decision to give up coaching after 15 years as a high school head coach, he included the press in a list of things he will miss.

"I'm going to miss all the players, the officials, the fans, even the sports writers," he said.

Then he went on to list things he wouldn't miss and, in the process, shed a light on his reason for leaving.

"I'm not going to miss all the mess that goes on around it," he said. "It's not the game and it's not the preparation, it's all the crap that goes on around it. That had a lot to do with it."

Asked to be more specific, Williams said he finds the increased attention on the sport, something illustrated by the growing number of player rating and recruiting services, AAU tournaments and over-involved parents, to be a drain on his ideals.

"It's everything that's on the periphery," he said.

"Eleven years ago (when Williams started at Nederland), you didn't have the parental involvement you do now. (In parents' minds), everybody's a college (prospect) now and if their kids don't play all the time, (parents think) you're costing them scholarships and honors.

"Do you know somebody ranks who the best seventh-graders in the United States are? That absolutely blows my mind.

"It used to be a pure game. It's not any more. It's just different. When you start ranking 13 year-olds, there's something wrong. It's the changing of our society and I'm not willing to be a part of it when it affects the game I love.

"Parents are just something you have to deal with. It's turning into a 'me' society. 'Let's play the four best kids, plus my kid.' "

Despite disparaging pushy parents, Williams went out of his way to be clear he wasn't talking about the families of his final Bulldog team.

"I was real lucky," he said. "This year I had a great group of parents. But sometimes it can be miserable.

"The game has changed. High school athletes have changed. I guess I'm not a willing participant in that change."

I agree. When 13 year olds are rated, there is a problem. Whatever happened to kids competing for the fun of it and the lessons that can be learned from sports, i.e. teamwork and committment. Seems like the lessons learned today are the wrong ones...like what's in it for me and how do I make me look better.

Guest bleed orange

I have to also agree with coach Williams. The game has changed and not for the better. Kids have changed because parents have changed. There is no disipline anymore. There are parents out there who are counting on their kid getting a scholarship. Kids don't play defense anymore to them it is all about scoring points. The officals let them play way to ruff. Back in my day you could not even touch a person or they would call a foul. Now you can mug someone underneath the basket and get away with it. It is really sad the way things have changed over the years. It is happening in all sports. Parents put way to much pressure on their kids these days.

If college coaches are pinning too much hope on 13 year olds,they have a big problem. A lot can change between the time a kid is 13 and 18 from both a physical and mental standpoint. The only purpose it serves is to create selfish players who are more concerned about their own personal ranking than the good of their team. It also places undue pressure on kids who are not mature enough to handle it. Some kids may excel at 13 against inferior competition, but how do they perform when the big lights are on and everybody can play.

Tha's my two cents. Take it or leave it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest ECBucFan

no wonder this area is sooooo far back in basketball...if not for ozen or ktz setexas would be dead basketball wise!

yu have to rank players early.thats how college coaches know who to scout. geez.

Ever heard of EC? Regionals almost every year, Ranked #8 this year, hardly "dead"...

Yes, I agree I don't like the fact of scouting 13 year olds. It is all about me and show boatin. With HS sports now a days you have kids on the front of sports illustrated and on ESPN! HS sports are takin way to seriously. When LeBron James was in High School all of his games were on pay per view! I know times have changed but it's just not the same!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476