Lamar Midnight Madness (Just Madness)

It was pretty disapointing last night, they spent more time introducing other programs than showcasing the basketball team.  It was so bad they were begging people not to leave.  Girls shooting contest vs baseball, guys did layups, thanks for coming.  It is no wonder we we can't build a program in this area.

Take it from someone that was in attendance Big Red Mania was a great event! It was intended 2 be a big pep rally and that is what it was. There was a fantastic student turn out. Other sports where recognized yes but that was not the whole event. This took maybe 5 minutes. And both basketball teams where given the time that they wanted. This event was intended 2 introduce the players and give them a chance 2 show what they wanted which is what happened. In my opinion it was a great event.

I'm not trying to be negative, just that when you look at what midnight madness is supposed to be we were not in the ballgame.  Having the teams go through layup drills is not madness.  I thought that they advertised a dunk contest and such.  I will say that both of the teams looked good, just wanted to see more basketball not the PA announcer screaming not to leave so that the president could play the saxaphone.

The event was called Big Red MANIA, not "madness"

Maybe that's why it lacked the atmosphere of a midnight madness event. Most schools stopped doing midnight madness type events several years ago, only a few big schools have the fan base to justify it.

I'm a student and talking to the SGA people I know, (who helped put it together), the event was desigened as a student based pep rally. In that case the event was very successfull, the crowd was energetic and Loud. There where times when things stumbled, but this is the events first year and I still think the event will help to bring alot more students out to the games.

So the idea was for the students to get to know the faces of the athletes, learn some cheers, get excited about the athletic program, and have a good time, I think all of that was acheived.

I guess our friend oldtimer didn't understand what the event was suppossed to be, but regardless I don't understand how you can say something like "It is no wonder we we can't build a program in this area." that's just not true, we are building great sports programs at lamar, if you had being listening when the other teams were introduced you would know that. After four years of watching the team this basketball program is ready to go over the top I think.

I did not mean to get this out of hand, I was going by the info that was posted, 3 pt shooting contest for the girls, dunk contest for the guys.  If it was just supposed to be for the students then it was truly a success but I thought that the intention was to get the community involved with Lamar sports.  The comment was made that we led the league in attendance but 2-3k but this area is still not really behind the basketball program.  As I said earlier I support the basketball program 110%, I just thought due to the timing of the event which kicks off the basketball season it was going to be more about basketball.  I like the direction that we are heading, maybe it was a little strong about building the program comment.  I was not talking about the other sports I was speaking about basketball.  Coach Roc has the potential to go onto bigger events, I would like for him and the players to know that this area will support a men's program here in Beaumont.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont