Baytown Lee 38 Kingwood 0

Well, it went like this.

Craft went down right before the half with an injury.  He came out the second half on crutches.  He had been moved to outside receiver(from inside receiver).  Michael Mahan was back playing at another outside receiver spot.  He looked like he hadn't missed a beat.  He has the best hands in district.  Third year starter Adam Rivera got his first action of the year at center. 

Jahwran Goode, who is supposed to start where Craft had taken over at an outside slot, wasn't dressed out for the game.  I assume he's still hurt.

Now, here's where it gets interesting.  Octavio Torres was playing qb for the first time all year.  His arm strength is limited, yet he's extremely accurate, so Lee went back with their bread and butter screen and short passes almost exclusively.  He was able to complete a high percentage of his passes and let the receivers do a little damage after the catch.  Torres had been playing some receiver, but wasn't much of a threat there.  What this allowed Olin to do is switch Josh Jones to an inside receiver slot to get some more play-makers down the field.  Jones took to this like a fish to water.  I'm not kidding you when I say Jones could easily fight for some all district recognition at receiver if the altered lineup becomes permanent.  I think he had 6 catches for 65 yards and a td, and Lee didn't pass more than a couple of times in the second half.

Once Goode and Craft both get back, it will be mighty crowded at the receiver positions.  I could even see Lee moving Jesse Luna back to corner where he got some all district recognition last year. He's a solid receiver this year, but Josh gives you more at that receiver position(more height, better open field running).

Of course, you must take all of this with a grain of salt, because Kingwood is not very good on defense.  I think Lee's defense is most certainly for real.  Lee's offense is coming around, but they were greatly helped by a slow-footed Kingwood defense.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    praise086
    Newest Member
    praise086

• I will never understand why someone cares what decisions a family makes regarding their own child? Maybe Joe Burrow learns great life lessons from burning up all his eligibility sitting behind Justin Fields at Ohio State but I’m sure him and his family feel like they made the right decision by transferring to LSU, becoming the #1 pick and now being the highest paid QB in NFL history. Same for Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield and Jalen Hurts at their first stops.    I think it was more beneficial for Reggie Branch to transfer to Crosby and end up having an opportunity to play for a state title versus staying at GCM and learning life lessons while he loses and probably doesn’t go D1 because his team is a perennial loser. If Robinson throws for 2k yards this year it’s going to be a lot better for his recruitment purposes than sitting on the bench at BH, not to mention he’s going to get significant looks because of the kids he’s on the team with and the offers/commitments they’ve already made. He’s not being taught to run from competition, he’s being taught to gamble on himself just like all those other guys I mentioned did. 
    • You have found Utopia. I live in the real world.
    • Every Yuppie wants one.  Give me a V-8 with loud pipes, and they can have their electric vehicles.  Was working a major incident one day and we had a road blocked off.  Police vehicles with lights going and a kid pulls up in a Tesla.  He - let me stress that HE is sobbing uncontrollably because he is at 5% battery life and HAS to go down the road we have blocked to get to a charging station.  He pulled over and literally threw a temper tantrum because we would not let him through.  
    • Have you noticed that it's always the libs that bring up race?  For a long time now whenever a lib is losing an argument or have nothing else to say they bring up racism.  Or something silly like institutional racism.  LOL!
    • Ha!  Whatever that means!  
  • Topics