**Deweyville 21 Evadale 0 FINAL/COMMENTS**

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI does have a small enrollment. Hull and West Hardin came down from 2A recently and Evadale only has 135 total kids in high school. Only a few years ago, Sabine Pass could not field a varsity district team.  The state should make a super 5A or even a 6A instead of moving everyone down a class.  Dville is in the class where they belong, not 1A. They should beat a team with 135 kids (Evadale) or a team with less than 100 kids (High Island). 

They dressed out more kids than we did. I think next time around the Pirates will be in 1A.

According to Texas Football Magazine, Deweyville has an enrollment of approx. 237 students in high school where Evadale has 135. Yea, I can see D-ville in 1a next year... And as far as Evadale dressing out more kids when they 100 less enrolled, well that just says something about Evadale's kids' heart.

Evadale game was closer than expected, but a good win for Deweyville, any win is a confidence builder,and as far as beating up on smaller schools, you have to really look at the numbers to really appreciate just how good a program Deweyville puts together each year. Every school currently in their district was a 3a school in recent past. Deweyville has struggled to stay above 1a status each year since they mooved up. The alternative to playing schools such as Evadale in pre season is to play 3a schools with 8 times the enrollment.Not a hard task for schools like Buna or East Chambers who were in those districts just a few years ago, and competed well I may ad.Getting beat up by a school 8 times your size is gonna do nothing for moral of any team. I think the Vinton game was a great choice and then the 1a schools a good warm-up and moral boost before distict.By the way looking in the past I can only remember getting beat by 1a schools a few games, and one to the hand of then state champs West Sabine. So put Deweyville in the distict they belong in, and they go deep in play-offs every year, judging by past. As for this team this year, they have a VERY GOOD defence, and a fairly strong running game. If they can control the ball and the clock with their running game, they will compete with anyone in district.If they fall behind early, it will be difficult for them, lacking the big play maker like Justin gave them last year.They are not a team thats gonna put up big numbers like last year, but they can march it down the field 3-6 yards at a time as good as anyone.

When did D-Ville move up to a 2A, in the 50's?

Deweyville moved up sometime in the mid-late sixtys I believe. Like I stated in my post about numbers, I dont think Deweyville should move down to 1a, just be in a district with similar numbers. I'm glad to see post saying that a school with 100 more kids should beat a smaller team,because you make my point for me. Deweyville runs in the 220-245 range every year. Every other team in their district is running 340+. But yet Deweyville still manages to make play-offs.

There was a post somewhere on this site about a change in the way UIL puts districts together,and it would fix this problem by putting smaller schools in the same class in the same district. The down side is much longer travel for away games.

Good point. Personaly, I would travel to see our kids able to compete on a more level playing field...

Warren has an enrollment of 301 as of last year and EC isn't alot bigger than that.Just a question here .Why would it be fair for Dville to play down at 1-A where they have 100 more kids than Evadale,but its not fair for EC to play Dville when they have less than 100 more than Dville.I'm confused.Fact is to get better you have to play up.The Pirates should be proud of making the playoffs the last 2 years but I don't think they have been a historic power in football.I wish them luck this year as I do all the 24aa teams but I dont think they have helped prepare there team for the district schedule thats coming.

Deweyville is a good school with players that have a lot of heart. I think they would do good in 1-A, but wouldn't wreck shop like everyone thinks. We always played them just a few years ago and they played us one heck of a game, but we usually won. It was kind of like playing Warren, though. Who ever won, it was rarely a blow out. A state football team in the state of Texas can usually play with a state team in 1 to 2 classifications above them. Like last year, Alto.. they could have played with any 2-A and almost any 3-A team out there. In the state of Texas, you can't just drop a class and go to state unless you were a near-state contender in your previous class. Newton dropped the right year. Toddrick Penland was a manchild, but they still didn't blow everybody out in the playoffs, and they would have went far in 3-A play offs that year. The coach said 2-A is easier than he though it might be, but he was loaded and didn't realize it, I guess. Now they have problems getting past the 2nd round. Yeah, I agree the average team, has more talent in a larger classification, but the cream of the crop is hard to beat at any level.

no disrespect to justin(my cousin) but everyone that ever says anything about deweyville says justin williams was the team thats not true don't get me wrong justin was a very talented running back but there was much more to our offense than just him.

He was the main piece of the puzzle.He averaged well over 200 yards a game and scored somewhere around 25 TD'S.No disrespect to this years team but thats hard to replace.

The only problem with Buna and the "Uncle Chuck" theory is that "Uncle Chuck" was a basketball coach (and is a basketball guy through and through) and they were put in the district with Kountze and EC...if "Uncle Chuck" was trying to help Buna they might have told him thanks for nothing.  They would have been a lot better off in the northern 2A district for hoops.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa