Texas Monthly Top Twenty

I just read this article and noticed there are no SE Texas teams on the list.  I was wondering what some of you WOS and mid county fans thought about it.  Take a look.    http://www.texasmonthly.com/2007-09-01/thelist.php

I thought for sure WOS would be on there but then again, there is quite a history compiled here with these teams.  Just looking for some input.

Guest coachhooker

we have only won 4 titles, but we have had a couple other teams that had a great chance.  No excuses, we just ran into some teams that were better than us those years....

oh ok for some reason i though Briles ran off four in a row

Well I knew I would get a rise out of some of you!  ;D  Now don't shoot me, I am just the messenger.  I did think it was interesting judging by some of the statistics I have seen on this site of all the local area teams.  Number of state titles is a good measuring stick but not the high water mark I would use.  Anybody else agree or disagree? 

Isn't this the article that lists the formula at the end? We calculated it, and both PN-G and WO-S would have been in the top 20. It's hard to compare some schools, though. Some of those on the list have been playing for almost 100 years. We've been playing for 29. I don't agree with a lot of the selections.

I already replied over on the 5A board about this ranking....  here's a cut and paste of my other post

Their research for that ranking in Texas Monthly was pretty shoddy..... According to the article they ranked the top 20 of all time by the following method:

State championships = 10 pts

State runnerup = 5 pts

District championship = 3 pts

All 20 of their ranked programs were in the top 41 of my top 500 ranking I posted a while back (and I also came up with Wichita Falls at #1):

This is the hidden content, please

Comparing my top 20 to theirs.... there are a few major programs missing that should be in their top 10 if I'm calculating points according to their system correctly.

Highland Park: 3 state titles X 10 pts + 1 runner up x 5 pts + 43 district titles X 3 pts = 169 pts. That would place them at #3 on their ranking.

Breckenridge: 6 state titles x 10 pts + 32 district titles X 3 pts = 156 pts.

That's good enough for #5 on their ranking

Groveton: 3 state titles x 10 pts + 3 runners up X 5 pts + 34 district titles x 3 pts = 147 pts. Good enough to be #9 on their ranking.

Mart: 4 state titles x 10 pts + 2 runers up x 5 pts + 31 district titles x 3 pts = 143 pts. Good enough to be #10 on their ranking.

Even if I'm a few points off, all 4 should definitely make their top 20.

Even WO-S would have enough pts to crack their top 20 with Midland Lee at #20 with 74 pts.

WO-S: 2 titles (20 pts) + 2 runnersup (10 pts ) + 16 district titles (48pts) = 78 pts.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83