Astros trade Wheeler for Wigginton

Astros trade Wheeler for Wigginton

The Astros swapped the 29-year-old reliever for third baseman Ty Wigginton in a deal announced after Houston's 3-1 victory over San Diego on Saturday.

Houston general manager Tim Purpura said Wheeler smiled approvingly when he learned who the Astros would get in return.

"Ty Wigginton is a good player," Wheeler said. "I played with him in the past with New York . He's a great guy and has a chance to do some great things over here."

Wheeler and Wigginton were Mets teammates in 2003 and part of 2004. Wheeler joined the Astros in 2004 and spent two full seasons with the team. He was on the 2005 National League championship squad.

"This was an amazing time for me with this organization," Wheeler said. "To play in the World Series is just beyond words. For this organization, it was the first one. And it was the first one for a lot of guys in this clubhouse."

Purpura said the trade allowed the Astros to fill a need now and in the future. Purpura said Wigginton is under contract through the 2009 season.

"He's the kind of player we like to have on this club," Purpura said. "He's a gamer."

Purpura said any additional move will be announced today. The departure of Wheeler means a pitcher will be recalled from the minor leagues, Purpura said.

Wigginton, 29, is penciled in as the starting third baseman, which may alter the status of Morgan Ensberg, who has struggled the last two seasons.

Wigginton is batting .275 with 16 home runs and 49 RBI. He has 21 doubles. Ensberg is hitting .232.

Wheeler departs with a 1-4 record and a 5.07 ERA. He collected 11 saves as the closer Brad Lidge reclaimed that role.

"It hurts a little bit to lose Danny," Houston manager Phil Garner said. "I'm real comfortable with Danny and I have a good feeling about Danny. I wish him the best."

Garner said he had never met Wigginton.

"I've only seen him play in spring training," Garner said. "It sounds to me like he's an Astros-type player. He's a tough kid and wants to play."

Great, great great move finally! Get a young player for Wheeler while you can! Great! This had to be done! Wheeler was a great pitcher and his future is bright but if you were going to get something for him, the time was now. Wigginton is a solid young player.

Good trade, I am surprised they got that much for wheeler. Ensberg is like a shooting guard that won't shoot. He is supposed to be a power hitter, but it looks like he would rather walk than hit. It's time to move him. Lamb is a little more versatile and can hit for power, gives a coach a little flexibility in the lineup.

I'm not sure what to make of this deal.  I almost would have preferred they had gotten a couple minor league guys instead.  Wiggington hasn't reallly shown me very much and he's already 29.  He's really not young.  I do believe he is an upgrade and is on the books for two more years, so we'll just have to see.

I hope they aren't finished.

Great, great great move finally! Get a young player for Wheeler while you can! Great! This had to be done! Wheeler was a great pitcher and his future is bright but if you were going to get something for him, the time was now. Wigginton is a solid young player.

i agree! even though wheels is a very good pitcher but we needed the defensive help!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83