2007 West Orange-Stark Team Preview

This is the hidden content, please
West Orange-Stark Mustangs
This is the hidden content, please

The WO-S Mustangs will look to continue their district dominance in class 3A in 2007. The ‘Stangs have yet to lose a district game since dropping to the 3A ranks in 2004, but the road looks to be a little more bumpy this time around for the blue and silver. Not only did WO-S lose a lot to graduation, but they also lost some key coaches in the offseason. That mixture could be enough to allow someone to sneak up and take the 21-3A title from the Mustangs.

Key Wins Last Year:

Dayton (26-9)

Kirbyville (46-16)

Silsbee (20-13)

Last Year’s Scores:

WO-S 26 Dayton 9

WO-S 35 LC-M 14

WO-S 20 Bay City 12

WO-S 54 Hamshire-Fannett 0

WO-S 46 Kirbyville 16

WO-S 62 Hardin-Jefferson 0

WO-S 20 Silsbee 13

WO-S 40 Jasper 0

WO-S 40 Orangefield 13

WO-S 42 Bridge City 6

WO-S 60 Liberty 0

Giddings 20 WO-S 13

Offensive Summary

WO-S welcomes back 4 starters from a powerful offensive unit that pumped out 38 points per game in ‘06. The leader of that group is RB DePauldrick Garrett. Garrett rushed for 1,327 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2006 and made first team all-district. Ortavious Hypolite will take over the QB duties after the graduation of Andre Bevil. Another offensive all-district first teamer back is OL Tim Matherne. Brandon Allensworth and Eric Arnold should also have a good year on the offensive line. Even with the low number of returners, don’t expect the Mustang offense to sputter too much.

Other Offensive Impact Players:

Ronnie Dennis (WR)

Defensive Summary

Only 3 starters are back on defense for WO-S this year. The ‘Stangs defense was tough in 2006, giving up just 8 points per game. First-Team all district FS Seth Thomas is back to lead the Mustang secondary after recording 117 tackles in 2006. DB Josh Rhodes will be counted on to make an impact in the secondary as well. Another standout on defense is DE/LB Josh Lynch. We will see how the “chain gang†defense performs without the guidance of Coach Mark Foreman this season.

Other Defensive Impact Players:

DE/LB Cory Bell

The Mustangs open the 2007 season with what could end up being the week 0 game of the week in Southeast Texas as they host the Dayton Broncos at Dan R. Hooks Stadium. The following week they travel to cross-town rival LC-M for the Orange Bowl game. WO-S closes out non-district play on Saturday, September 15 against Bay City at Pearland. The ‘Stangs open 21-3A play on September 28 at home against the Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns. Two huge games for WO-S in district are October 5 @ Kirbyville and October 19 vs Silsbee. And don’t forget about the Orange County district games with Orangefield and Bridge City. Here is the complete 2007 schedule for the WO-S Mustangs……

Aug. 31 Dayton

Sept. 7 @ LC-M

Sept. 15 Bay City at Pearland

Sept. 21 OPEN

Sept. 28 Hamshire-Fannett*

Oct. 5 @ Kirbyville*

Oct. 12 @ Hardin-Jefferson*

Oct. 19 Silsbee*

Oct. 26 @ Jasper*

Nov. 2 Orangefield*

Nov. 9 @ Bridge City*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you saying we (LC-M) are one of your rivals.  Your WO-S faithfuls will not like that.

We're rivals because we dislike each other, not because it's usually a dogfight. I think there are two different kinds of rivalries. Although our record against Jasper is overwhelmingly in our favor, it's usually a hard-fought and back-and-forth game with high stakes - making it a true rivalry. In most years, the LC-M game has been an easy win, with our last loss coming 13 years ago and the previous loss 24 years ago. But there is resentment there, plus being across town from one another. So, in a way, it is a rivalry.

Are you saying we (LC-M) are one of your rivals.  Your WO-S faithfuls will not like that.

My WOS faithfuls are with me. Maybe I should have stated what type of rivals but yall are rivals none the less. I can't wait for the game. I already have my sideline passes lined up.

BBdad I can get you one if you want to stand with me. You can hear what it's like on the Mustang sideline. Maybe I should go to your side and listen to what is being said there.

Sideline passes???  How would you get those.  All those strikeouts finally paying off.

I think I'll stay on my side, I have a feeling things will be different this year. 

Maybe I should go to your side and listen to what is being said there.

That Bear Pride just trying to get out....like I said, you can stay, just send J and C.

Sideline passes???  How would you get those.  All those strikeouts finally paying off.

I think I'll stay on my side, I have a feeling things will be different this year. 

That Bear Pride just trying to get out....like I said, you can stay, just send J and C.

You have a feeling things will be different this year???????? Would you like to expand on that thought? If your saying what I think you're saying then you should call me so we can discuss this in private because I don't think they allow betting on this message board.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124