• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, wife, son found dead in Georgia

Associated Press

TOOLS

Email  Get section feed 

Print  Subscribe NOW 

Comments  Recommend 

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. — WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead today and police said they were investigating the deaths as a homicide.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department said the three were found at their home about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

Pope said results of autopsies on Benoit, his wife Nancy, and 7-year-old son Daniel were expected Tuesday.

Benoit, 40, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

Benoit, a Canadian native, maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

I applaud the WWE for ending the Mcmahon crap, and dedicating the night to Chris, He was one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, and its heartbreaking to hear this news... Once again hats off to the WWE...

i was thinking about not watching raw tonight because it was going to be about mcmahons death that didnt happen then i found out about this tragic death and i do applaud the wwe on ending the storyline and it is good that mcmahon was willing to come out and admit his storyline was a lie and start out the show like he did...

Guest Techsan

I read this earlier today, truly a heartbreaking loss for wrestling fans worldwide. Benoit was a great in ring performer and one of the hardest working guys you'd ever come across. I would imagine that the police already have some decent leads, due to the fact that it was known that Benoit rushed home for an emergency the night of a Pay-Per-View so whatever it was, was most dire indeed. I hope whoever did this is brought to justice quickly. Its unfortunate that the wrestling world has lost yet another, and even more so in the fact that his family perished alongside him....

With that said, I also sent in a letter to WWE corporate expressing my displeasure with the McMahon Death storyline and the fact that it took a second death in the wrestling world for them to end it. It never shouldve been done due to the massive amount of deaths of pro wrestlers within the last decade particularly that of Owen Hart, which many people at immediately thought was a storyline plot. Secondly when Sherri Martel passed away it shoudlve been dropped then as a gesture of respect for her and her family.....I know the WWE has never been a bastion of good taste, but this was just classless on their part, thank God they had enough sense to pull the storyline in wake of Benoits passing. I doubt my letter gets read but just felt the need to vent about the subject, and hopefully theyve learned from this ordeal.

Has anyone thought that it might be a suicide /homicide?Do you think he would have killed his family and then turned around and killed himself?

Its hard to picture someone overpowering him and killing his whole family with him being there.

I know I shouldnt speculate but just curious on what happened

Guest Techsan

Keep in mind that his wife Nancy was once either married or dating Kevin Sullivan shortly before Benoit arrived at WCW. Nancy or Woman as she was called actually left Sullivan for Benoit and the writers used it as a storyline but there was a lot of truth in it too. The point is that obviously his wife had a history of leaving men for other men, this very possibly could've been what happened. I can see how a person could lose it and kill his wife and kid in a situation like this....

First off...No one knows what goes on behind closed doors.

He was scheduled for the Beaumont house show on Saturday and wasn't there...He was replaced with Ric Flair.

He didn't show up for Houston PPV. Details are sketchy but they haven't released the details on whether he spoke to the WWE on Sunday or not...

it was not known until this afternoon that the deaths were discovered as police were called to his residence to check on him (my best guess was that he didn't show up for Raw and WWE officials call the local authorities).

Morgan...Dont be kayfabe. The McMahon-limo angle was a work. WWE is SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT. It was a storyline just like everything else they do.

I loved the idea it was just bad timing and unfortunate that this tragedy took place during this story.

My last two cents are this is very, very sad. My brother and I have been wrestling marks since we were little. No one saw this coming. NO ONE!

6/25/2007 11:47:00 PM

Another update on Benoit murder/suicide

by Dave Meltzer

Sources in the Fayette County Police Department are now working under the theory that Chris Benoit killed Nancy on Saturday, son Daniel on Sunday, and then killed himself earlier today.

Benoit was found dead in his weight room. Nancy was found dead in the lving room. Daniel was found dead in his bedroom, accordig t an unnamed source in the department.

Lt. Tommy Pope told ABC News "the instruments of death were located on the scene," but didn't specify what those were or where they were found. Pope said the department was not actively searching for any suspects outside the house.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/ecw/superstars/ch...es/benoitupdate

Written: June 25, 2007

According to lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department, in Fayetteville, Ga., the deaths of WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, wife Nancy and son Daniel were the result of a double murder-suicide, WWE.com has learned.

Benoit failed to appear both at Saturday’s live event in Beaumont, Tx., and WWE’s Vengeance: Night of Champions in Houston Sunday night, after informing WWE of a family emergency. Several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning prompted concerned friends to alert Richard Hering, VP of Government Relations for WWE, Inc. Hering, in turn, spoke with Fayette County sheriffs Monday, and requested that they respond to the Benoit residence to check on him and his family.

Authorities representing the Sheriff’s Department initially had a difficult time entering Benoit’s new Fayetteville home Monday afternoon, which had been guarded by two large German Shepherds roaming freely around the property. Once authorities entered the residence, they quickly located the bodies of Benoit, Nancy and Daniel. WWE was notified of the discovery at approximately 4 p.m.

At 10 p.m. Monday night, Lt. Pope held a press conference in conjunction with Scott Ballard, the district attorney for Fayette County. The press conference officially ruled authorities’ findings as a double murder-suicide from within the home.

WAGA, a FOX-owned and operated television station in Atlanta, reported that investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son over the weekend, then himself on Monday.

The three bodies have been received by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s crime lab, in Decatur, Ga., where autopsies will be performed Tuesday morning. Toxicology reports will not become available for at least two weeks.

WWE.com has further information relating to both the investigation and the cause of death, but the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department has requested that WWE.com not release any additional details at this time.

--------------------

Im not disagreeing about the Woman issue but let's just wait and see...Enough to kill your 7-year-old son??

Maybe the guy was battling personal demons. Let's see what his autopsy says...Maybe he was drugged up. Just weird that it was so out of character for him.

Colin Cowherd of ESPN Radio has spent all morning destroying the WWE saying its Vince's fault. That all other sports even UFC has rules but Vince wants his guys using steroids, etc...He's begging all the WWE's sponsors to drop out and the fans to boycott him and that we are feeding the monster.

I'll have a little something about Mr. Cowherd in the Examiner this week!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder