The Deadlift...good workout for football?

Its a good workout for powerlifting, but is it a good workout for football? alot of people say it doesnt even help you for football its just about form alot of schools use it in the offseason program and alot dont because they dont belive that it actually works for football at all.

So does deadlift help or dont help for football?

The deadlift builds strength but it doesn't do much for explosive power which you need in football.  My biggest concern is from the injury aspect.  Way too many high school kids load the bar way too heavy and don't use correct form and end up getting hurt.  There is too much peer pressure in the weight room, kids trying to keep up with stronger kids and they end up trying to lift way more than they are capable.  Consequently, a lot of low back strain.  Same goes for the squat too.

You would not believe the number of kids who come to my office with terrible lower body flexibility and when they tell me about all the heavy lifting they do it is amazing there aren't more gimpy young men running around.  Although they do come back as gimpy old men and want to get out of pain! 

I workout on Deadlift once a week it helps me on squat alot and i think its a good football workout ! But alot of people use back more than legs u gotta bend your legs, look up, and when u pick the weight up try to keep your back straight and and make sure the weight slides on your calves..

Guest 3AFan

being explosive in football is really important and "the deadlift" doesnt create explosiveness......

Convential style deadlift does emulate a good hitting position, and teaches a kid how to bring his hips up through the defender. It is also a good mass builder, and full body workout. No it does not neccessarly build explosion, but it does offer positive results in other aspects of football training. A kid should probably try not to deadlift more than than once every 10 days, and should not use more weight than he can lift safely.

Guest 3AFan

Deadlift is a burnout workout especially if you do alot of reps

Perfect example of how kids get hurt doing the deadlift! Not knowing any better, lol....

Guest Sports Cards

Well the reason is that I have perfect form!! and my back has not even hurt me once

Just saying deadlift is not a burnout lift. It's a heavy weight, low rep excercise. When kids try to burnout, they start bouncing the weight, and blow out their lower backs.

Guest 3AFan

Please enlighten me with your knowledge please, explain yourself.

Straight leg deadlift is a great hamstring workout, stretches and strengthens. I'm still a big regular deadlift fan as well though, great mass builder.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami