BH across all sports in 18-19

BH85

On 5/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, Reagan said:

Of course what I am about to say is pure speculation.  I know there are different views on whether the coach is the most important piece or the players.  My thought has always been it's the coach.  So, let me ask your opinion:  With the QB that PN-G had over the past two years, do you think that the coach at Carthage or Aledo could have had PN-G challenging for the State Championship and possibly won it once or twice? 

Look at Todd Dodge's record at Marble Falls compared to his teams in South Lake and West Lake.  Where did he win?  Do those places win without him?

What about Rusty Nail?  He won in Mart (and they're still winning there) and the best team he had in Madisonville got to the 3rd round.

I am in no way questioning Dodge and Nail's coaching ability, but seriously it comes down to the coach?  Lance Carter won multiple state championships at Texas City and LaMarque but only got the the play-offs once at Mayde Creek in I think the 10 years he was the head man there.  Tim Hensley couldn't win a coin toss as a head coach but as a coordinator at Copperas Cove was pretty good.

I know my examples go outside of southeast Texas but if you ask the guys that won the first state championship in Lake Travis they credit the senior class that year for the state championship and they ran the same offensive and defensive schemes while they were getting their lungs kicked in.  Oh, speaking of Lake Travis Mike Wall won state championships there and as the OC in Temple and how many wins did he get this year in Willis?

To answer your question, if you put those coaches in charge of PNG, no!  PNG had a stud QB and that was about it.  Would those coaches have been able to help Tyrone Swoops' Whitewright team not be as DREADFUL as they were (he was only considered a top 5 QB in the nation)?

Guest ECBucFan
On 5/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, Coach 01 said:

Fort Bend Marshal 53

PNG 14

PNG was completely out manned in that game. They had 4 dudes score multiple TD's. As special as RJ was at PNG, in my opinion, the answer would be no. RJ didn't have enough around him to compete with that Fort Bend Marshall team. 

You are right. It is noteworthy too the FB Marshall had D1 recruits that had "moved in" before the season. Stacked teams can do really well.