**Anahuac Hires New AD..DARRELL BARBAY**

Glad to see him get this opportunity. You should expect him to do right by the kids, because he will put them first. You should expect them to be well coached, because hes is well prepared. GOOD LUCK to the entire Anahauc community, great hire.

Darrell Barbay named football coach, AD at Anahuac

Coaching is nothing new in Barbay family. Longtime Newton football coach Curtis Barbay played baseball for his father, also named Curtis, at a private school in Port Arthur.

Now the younger Curtis Barbay, Newton's football coach for 32 years, has two sons involved in coaching football.

Darrell Barbay is Anahuac's new head football coach and athletic director. He was officially hired by the Anahuac ISD at a board meeting Tuesday.

He coached eight seasons at Hull-Daisetta.

Another Barbay, Bryan, is the defensive coordinator at Kirbyville. He has never been a head coach.

"I guess (football is) all they've ever been around," said their father.

Darrell Barbay was 41-32 in eight seasons at Hull-Daisetta, a Class A school that went 7-4 last season. He takes over an Anahuac team that was 2-8 overall and 1-5 in District 24-2A.

Although they are in different districts, Curtis and Darrell Barbay are now both in Class 2A, meaning a playoff match up is possible.

"I wouldn't like it," said Curtis Barbay, whose Newton team plays in District 23-2A and has won two state championships.

Darrell wasn't quite so opposed to the idea of a playoff meeting.

"If I got the chance to do that I would love it, because it would mean the kids would be in the playoffs," he said.

Darrell said he doesn't feel the need to prove his worth to his father.

"I've been coaching long enough," he said. "It's all about Anahuac football now."

When asked why he moved schools, Darrell said, "Sometimes you get content at your current job and just need a fire lit under you. Sometimes, change is just good."

He is also looking forward to the fact that Anahuac is a bigger school, with more kids to draw talent from. Enrollment at Hull-Daisetta is 183, while Anahuac's enrollment is at 402.

"The numbers are there," he said.

The one thing Darrell doesn't see in his future is coaching at Newton when his father retires.

"Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to go back home," he said. "A lot of people may remember you the way you were in high school, not the way you are now."

Darrell is looking forward to the next football season saying.

"We have a lot of good kids on the roster, and a lot of talent," he said.

Guest EagleFan01

Curtis Barbay's nephew is the reciever coach at Baylor last time I heard. He was the QB at Nederland a few years back for all you dog fans out there.

Congrats to Anahuac you have a great AD in Darrell Barbay.  He will always be fair and will give you an honest answer to any question.  HD will miss you  :'( To the coaching staff at Anahuac, stand behind him because he will stand with you. Good Luck Coach Barbay

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124