Anahuac A.D.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JGLB55

''NO WAY'' Jubert would leave Kountze. He has led them to four state championship games in Basketball and has a well know reputation around there

Guest DickVitale

Joubert??? Somebody please wake that guy up, he's hallucinating!! :o...You think Joubert would leave Kountze basketball to coach Anahuac football? you have got to be kidding, right?  The DC there now would be an excellent fit (Dotson)...The job is posted so they should be interviewing soon.

Guest DickVitale

If that is true (Dotson to LCM) that would make sense because he was commuting from Bridge City...I wonder who else would want Anahuac??? How about YOU COACH TATER????!!! Anahuac grad...GAME DAY GEORGE!!!  ;D Makes perfect sense to me...That's who I am endorsing....GAME DAY!! LOL

I could see Duane taking a job at a 4-a school to coach basketball, but I don't think he would leave Kountze to go to Anahuac.If he's looking for a higher profile b-ball job the timing would certainly be right.With his resume he would be in demand on the hardwood.

Guest DickVitale

Thats my guy.....GAME DAY GEORGE!!!  ;D  If you know him ask him why we call him "Game Day"....He is a good young coach, and the kids like and respect him.  I think experience may get him this time around, but his time IS coming...That guy is so serious he wears sidleline headphones in the classroom!! LOL ;D

I would like to see Darrell Barbay get it myself.  Talk about a great guy would love to see the kids in Anahuac finally get a quality coach that would stay and build a program not just one that would get him a better job.  Don't think he would leave and has the personality and credentials to take Anahuac as far as the kids wanted to go.  Can't say enough great things about the man. The HD community would be sad to see him go, but the kids in Anahuac deserve somebody that truly wants to be there.  This man can turn kids around and motivate them, Anahuac needs this.  The athletes are there but there is nobody to motivate them.  Haven't seen a quality coach come through there since Walker in the early 90's.  With the background Barbay has and the coaching legend he was born into what more could Anahuac want.  Parents and politics are Anahuac's worst nightmare.  Let the teachers teach and the coaches coach and quit making it personal.  He applied last year from what I heard but they didn't even conduct outside interviews.  What a loss Anahuac could have been one year further along towards an outstanding program. What is even better, he is an all around athletic director and takes as much pride in the girls side as he does the boys.  No need to bother with Title IX accusations when this man is in charge.  Its tit for tat and the girls get just as much as the guys.  He also hires quality coaches and the coaches that have worked for him respect him greatly.  Wish they would give him a shot.

Guest DickVitale

WOW! Are you Darrell's agent or something?? ;) What a compelling argument!  I don't know Darrell Barbay, but I do know Curtis.  It is obvious that those guys have been around and can coach.  There are many other problems though in Anahuac that would keep a good coach from winning big there in football.  You did, however hit the nail on the head with a lot of those things.  The Supt there has no clue about athletics, but, still tries to interfere, the high school principal is a puppet, the area is racially divided, and I could go on and on.  A guy walking into this situation blind could really be in for a rude awakening.  The kids there are not going to play for just anybody, because they don't trust many people, since the turnover has been so high there for coaches.  I would hate to see a good coach come there to that situation unknowingly.  Trust me, I know!! ;D  They do pay well, however, but some things just are not worth the money!  There are SOME athletes there, but getting them to do the right thing is a task all in itself.  The surrounding area of Anahuac, can be its biggest adversary, as far as negative outside influences.  Good luck to whoever gets that spot. 

Not his agent in any way, just been around long enough to know that he has what it takes mentally to turn that place around.  Racially divided is not longer an issue in HD though.  All kids get a fair shot up there and the success he has shown is obvious.  The parent of the kids in Anahuac are the parents that had success in Anahuac as athlets under Walker and I know of one board member in particular that played football back in the hay days when Kedrick Williams and that bunch went pretty far.  They want somebody there and these parents, black, white, red, purple, or green, just want a coach in there to bring some discipline and honor back to that program.  If enough parents would back him they would be surprised.

Another board member, female played on the first volleyball team that went to bi-district in years if not ever, she would love to see this program turn around for everyone.

As for the supt, she needs to leave, that is Anahuac's biggest problem.  When Barrett was there a lot of people started losing respect for administration.  There has not been a supt worth having there since Gene Best left sure wish he would come out of retirement.  Somebody needs to step up and save these kids there is a huge amount of talent coming up in the Freshmen class and could have a lot of potential by the time they are Seniors.  When your best athletes are walking the streets you have problem.

Guest DickVitale

Man, VB, you could not have put that any better!! ;) The community is not a bad one either.  They desperately want a winner there.  Particularly in football and basketball.  Its just a divided community, and it has been that way for years.  There are more good athletes roaming the streets of Hankamer and Double Bayou, than most schools have seen.  The administration there, namely the Supt., has no interest in helping the "underpriviledged" students in those communities.  The kids have no school pride because of this, and ultimately stop going to school in most cases.  They CONSTANTLY harass those kids for the smallest things until they just leave.  Those kids need to know that someone gives a darn about them-that's coaches, teachers, administrators and all.  Like I said, good luck to whoever goes there.

Guest spinks

It is no secret that Joubert has always wanted to coach football because he was a football star.  A move would not surprise me at all.  Kountze is not the easiest place to keep the parents happy.  This move would not shock me.  And let me tell you this..............if he does want this he will get it because the guy is as impressive of a man as there is in the coaching world in all shapes and ways.

Guest DickVitale

Oh, spinks, there is no question about that.  Joubert is a fantastic person and coach.  But to leave Kountze Basketball for Anahuac football?? No way...Maybe he would go after a 4A or 5A football job, but he would not make a lateral, or in this case backwards move....never. 8)

Guest spinks

I would not call a head basketball coach to a head football coach and ad a lateral move.  This will be a CONSIDERABLE pay raise and what 4A or 5A school is going to hire a coach that has never coached football in high school before.  This is a perfect opportunity at a school that could be good at football and if he turns it around he is a genius and will be able to pick his football job.  I would not consider this a lateral move at all.

Guest DickVitale

This is true, but being a basketball guy, I guess I am just biased.  I would never leave Kountze basketball for Anahuac football, but, hey, I am a GYM RAT!! ;D  I don't believe that Joubert would do this either.  Just a gut feeling.  Maybe if HJ or something like that were open, I could possibly see it, but Anahuac???  Nahhh.

Guest spinks

Remember when Duane played football at HJ...............Anahuac was a football powerhouse with Micheal Ricks.  Duane knows the kids are there and if he could change it he could write his ticket.  He also knows he has a basketball job anywhere anytime he wants it.  I can see both sides but let me tell you coaching at Kountze is not near as rosey as it seems. TOUGH PARENTS AND COMMUNITY!!!!

Not sure Joubert would be a good fit at Anahuac, nothing personal but actually seems too nice.  If you think the parents and community are tough at Kountze, cross the Hardin and Liberty County lines and step into Chambers County. Not sure what to call the parents and community in Anahuac, but it is beyond tough almost brutal.

Problem is they are tough on the wrong people. They tend to want to coach instead of watch from the stands and be parents but who can blame them.  The coaches and administration that have gone through there have left that community completely untrusting. 

Amen to DickVitale, get someone in there and get those kids off the street.  Those kids are walking the streets in Anahuac and Wallisville too!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami