RANDOM THOUGHTS

We bring you a special “Mother’s Day†edition of Random Thoughts as the season moves into the Regional Quarter Finals, after 5 of SE Texas’ 10 teams fell from the playoffs in the Area Round.

First, the good news:

Barbers Hill swept into the QF with 9-4 and 6-2 wins over the Lamar Consolidated Mustangs.  After falling behind 4-3 in game 1, the Eagles rallied to pull away with Jake Ponder’s 2 run HR the icing on the cake.  Ross Hales was his usual dominant self on the mound.  Game 2 saw the Hill fall behind early (2-0) but the bats woke up and Kendall Thamm cruised to a 6-2 win.  The Hill gets Bay City (who swept LCM) next.

Jasper rode Travis Reagan’s game 1 shutout as the Bulldogs opened their series with a 3-0 win over La Grange.  In Game 2, Jasper opened to a quick lead, withstood a Leopards’ rally, and emerged with a 6-3 win to sweep that series.  The 21-3A champs move on to tackle Bellville (who swept HJ) this week.

Bridge City needed all 3 games of their series with the Wharton Tigers to advance.  Jeff Stringer was dominant in game 1 as the Cards won 4-0.  Johnny Dishon’s HR broke that game open.  After dropping game 2, the Cards roared back to take game 3, 9-2.  Freshman Matt Hicks threw 6 1/3 innings of quality baseball AND hit a HR for BC.  Interesting note on Game 3:  both teams started a freshman on the mound.  The Cards move on to tackle Needville.

In 2A, the Woodville Eagles swept Mart by scores of 5-4 and 2-0.  Next up is district rival Hemphill in the QF.  Buna dropped game 1 on their series with Troup only to rally to take games 2 and 3 by scores of 4-1 and 3-2.  Tucker Muckleroy closed out the game 3 win for the Cougars.  Next up will be Nacogdoches Central Heights.

Now, the bad news:

West Brook stranded 18 runners over 2 games and were swept from the playoffs by the Pearland Oilers 10-9 and 6-4.  With staff ace Josiah Svoboda ill and unable to play, WB never found an answer for Pearland’s talented lineup.  While winning 21-5A for the 1st time in 12 years may provide some comfort, the most productive offense in school history will be left with the rest of the playoffs to ponder “what ifâ€.

LCM stumbled out of the blocks in their 1st playoff appearance of the year, watching a game 1 lead (3-0) evaporate as the Bay City Black Cats took a 7-3 win.  Things got worse in game 2 as a ‘rolled ankle’ on Game 2 starter turned a 4th inning 0-0 game into a 8-0 Bay City win.  The Bears no doubt overachieved by winning 22-4A but no one saw this coming.  Jake Rowell will live to fight another day (across the river at McNeese) and the Bears return a healthy lineup for ’08.

Huffman’s season struck midnight…only it took 3 days for that to happen as their 1 game playoff with Texas City was delayed, resumed and moved from Thurday to Friday to Saturday.  The Stings proved too much as the Falcons fell 4-0.  It was a superb run for Michael Listi and Company including big wins this year over BH and the playoff sweep over PNG. 

For Hardin-Jefferson, game 1 of their playoff series with Bellville must have seemed like getting a 2 x 4 across the head.  Cruising with a 7-0 lead, the Hawks watched as Bellville scored 9 in the 6th as they rallied past HJ 14-11.  With the wind out of their sails, the Hawks were easy pickings in game 2, falling 7-3.  It was an improbable run for HJ as they roared through the 2nd half of 21-3A, winning the playoff over Silsbee to earn that district’s 3rd slot.  A tough ending but a great season for the guys over at Sour Lake.

And, last (but not least) the High Island Cardinals watched their season end as they were swept away at the feet of Fayetteville.  Coach Hooker and company have a lot to reflect upon – the first playoff appearance in 8 years as well as the outright district title.  Congratulations on a season well-played to HI.

And, lastly…a personal note:

As I watched my son’s high school career come to an end this past week, I became most reflective.  He had a great run playing HS baseball here in SETexas and I have had a great time watching.  He has more baseball ahead of him but nothing, I suspect, matches playing for your HS team.  More than anything, as the lights went off and the press box closed for the last time in 2007, I drove away 1 last time thinking how proud I am of my kid.  I would imagine many dads have had that feeling…but mine happened on Friday evening.  So, taking personal license:  Thanks, Tim.  You done me proud.

Good luck to the remaining “fab 5†this week.

Ditto to the last paragraph!  Mine happened yesterday.  I just hope as mine goes on to play at the next level he becomes as good of a leader as I feel he was on his HS team.  Hopefully all the ones going on will have some more great baseball memories.

Very nice post.  Been their twice and with my "baby" a junior I am just sick thinking about next year.  And I'll tell you, HS sports are much more special than  college sports.  My advice is to enjoy your childs HS experience and do not push them to a point they don't enjoy it.  The intensity and competition in college is tough. 

Oooo...yes, that last high school game was worse emotionally than high school graduation!  However, driving away after leaving that player at college was another tough, tough moment to handle.  Good luck to all you graduating senior baseball players!

Been a few years for me, and with 2, I had to adjust. I agree with a previous poster, high school was more enjoyable than college.

For me, the home runs, pitching wins or honors that they received were great, but to me it's nothing compared with any successes that they have accomplished as an adult, when the gloves and bats are in the attic. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• That’s what they want you to believe. If the dems came up with a magical bill to end all abortion and all crime etc. etc . It still Wouldn’t pass because this nation program many to believe that the other side just don’t think different there evil and must be defeated. It works in 3rd world countries and it works here in the US. Trump had liberal beliefs so did Reagan. It’s million of democrats in the military defending freedom millions of democrats in hospitals saving lives etc. etc. don’t let American politics define a person.
    • This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up All Times Central (and hopefully correct) - (#) Regional Seed - TV will be noted below, all other games stream on ESPN+ Arranged by paired Regionals - Left Side of the Bracket (1/16 - 8/9 : 4/13 - 5/12)/ Right Side of the Bracket (2/15 - 7/10 : 3/14 - 6//11) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#1 Tennessee -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (3) Indiana 10 - (2) Southern Miss 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (4) Northern Kentucky 3 - (1) Tennessee 9   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3:  (2) Southern Miss 6 - (4) Northern Kentucky 0   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up (The Vikings of Kentucky Eliminated) G4:  (1) Tennessee 12 - (3) Indiana 6   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5 : 11:00 AM (2) Southern Miss vs (3) Indiana (Loser Eliminated) G6: 5:00 PM (1) Tennessee vs Game 5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#16 East Carolina -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (4) Evansville 4 - (1) East Carolina 1   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (3) Virginia Commonwealth 1 - (2) Wake Forest 0   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (2) Wake Forest 6 - (1) East Carolina 7   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up (The consensus preseason #1 Demon Deacons dragged to down to Hell) G4: (4) Evansville 17 - (3) Virginia Commonwealth 11   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 11:00 AM (1) East Carolina vs (3) Virginia Commonwealth (Loser Eliminated) G6: 5:00 PM (4) Evansville vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#8 Florida St. -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (4) Stetson 2 - (1) Florida St. 7   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (3) Central Florida 8 - (2) Bama 7   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (2) Bama 0 - (4) Stetson 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up (The Tide Eliminated)  G4: (1) Florida St. 5 - (3) Central Florida 2   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5 : 11:00 AM (4) Stetson vs (3) Central Florida (Loser Eliminated) G6: 5:00 PM (1) Florida St. vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#9 Oklahoma -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (3) Connecticut 4 - (2) Duke 1   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2:  (4) Oral Roberts 0 - (1) Oklahoma 14   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (2) Duke 6 - (4) Oral Roberts 2   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up (The Fightin' Bobs Eliminated) G4: (1) Oklahoma 1 - (3) Connecticut 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 2:00 PM (2) Duke vs (1) Oklahoma (Loser Eliminated) (ESPN) G6: 8:00 PM (3) Connecticut vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up   (#4 North Carolina -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (3) Wofford 3 - (2) LSU 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (4) Long Island 8 - (1) North Carolina 11   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (4) Long Island 2 - (3) Wofford 5   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (LIU Eliminated) G4: (2) LSU 2 - (1) North Carolina 6   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 11:00 AM (3) Wofford vs (2) LSU (Loser Eliminated) (ESPN) G6: 5:00 PM (1) North Carolina vs (1) North Carolina Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#13 Arizona -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (3) West Virginia 4 (2) Dallas Baptist 1   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (4) Grand Canyon 9 - (1) Arizona 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (2) Dallas Baptist 7 - (1) Arizona 0  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (The Wildcats Eliminated) G4: (4) Grand Canyon 2 - (3) West Virginia 5   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 2:00 PM (2) Dallas Baptist vs (4) Grand Canyon (Loser Eliminated) G6: 7:00 PM (3) West Virginia vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#5 Arkansas -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (4) Southeast Missouri 9 - (1) Arkansas 17   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up   7:00 PM (3) K-State 9 - (2) la tech 4 ( This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Saturday June 1st G2: (3) K-State 19 - (2) la tech 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (Resumption of suspended game) G3: (2) la tech 3 - (4) Southeast Missouri 9   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up (Louisiana tards Eliminated) G4: (1) Arkansas 6 - (3) K-State 7   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 1:00 PM (1) Arkansas vs (4) Southeast Missouri (Loser Eliminated) G6: 6:00 PM (3) K-State vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#12 Virginia -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (4) Penn 2 - (1) Virginia 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (3) St. John's 2 - (2) Mississippi St. 5 (10)  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (4) Penn 9 - (3) St. John's 10 (12)   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up (The Quakers Eliminated) G4: (2) Mississippi St. 4 - (1) Virginia 5   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 11:00 AM (2) Mississippi St. vs (3) St. John's (Loser Eliminated) (ESPN2) G6: 5:00 PM (1) Virginia vs Game 5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) ________________________________________________________________________________________ This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#2 Kentucky -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (4) Western Michigan 8 - (1) Kentucky 10   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (3) Illinois 4 - (2) Indiana St. 1   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (2) Indiana St. 6 - (4) Western Michigan 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (The Broncs are Eliminated) G4: (1) Kentucky 6 - (3) Illinois 1   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 11:00 AM (2) Indiana St.vs (3) Illinois (Loser Eliminated) G6: 5:00 PM (1) Kentucky vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#15 Oregon St. -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (3) Nicholls St. 12 - (2) California-Irvine 13   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (4) Tulane 4 - (1) Oregon St. 10   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (4) Tulane 3 - (3) Nicholls St. 0   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (The Colonels Eliminated) G4: (2) California-Irvine 3 - (1) Oregon St. 5   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 2:00 PM (2) California-Irvine vs (4) Tulane (Loser Eliminate) G6: 8:00 PM (1) Oregon St.vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#7 Georgia -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (4) Army 7 - (1) Georgia 8   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (3) Georgia Tech 0 - (2) North Carolina-Wilmington 9   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3:  (4) Army 2 - (3) Georgia Tech 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (The Black Knights Eliminated) G4:  (2) North Carolina-Wilmington 2 -(1) Georgia 11   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 11:00 AM (2) North Carolina-Wilmington vs (3) Georgia Tech (Loser Eliminated) (ACC Network) G6: 5:00 PM (1) Georgia vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#10 North Carolina St. -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (3) James Madison 7 - (2) South Carolina 8 (10)   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (4) Bryant 2 - (1) North Carolina St. 9   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (4) Bryant 1 - (3) James Madison 8   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (Bryant Bulldogs Eliminated) G4: (2) South Carolina 4 - (1) North Carolina St. 6  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 11:00 AM (2) South Carolina vs (3) James Madison (Loser Eliminated) (ESPNU) G6: 5:00 PM (1) North Carolina St. vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#3 Fightin' Texas Aggies -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (4) Grambling 0 - (1) Fightin' Texas Aggies 8   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (3) t.u. 12 - (2) ULaLa 5   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (2) ULaLa 12 - (4) Grambling 5   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (The Tigers Eliminated) G4: (1) Fightin' Texas Aggies 4 - (3) t.u. 2 (11)   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 2:00 PM (2) ULaLa vs (3) t.u. (ESPN2) G6: 7:00 PM (1) Fightin' Texas Aggies vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up (#14 California- Santa Barbara -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31 G1: (2) San Diego (3) Oregon 5 - (2) San Diego 4 (11)   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (4) Fresno St. 6 - (1) California-Santa Barbara 9   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3:  (2) San Diego 7 - (4) Fresno St. 5   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (Fresno St. Eliminated) G4:  (1) California-Santa Barbara 1 - (3) Oregon 2   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 2:00 PM (2) San Diego vs (1) California-Santa Barbara (Loser Eliminate) (ESPNU) G6: 8:00 PM (3) Oregon vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#6 Clemson -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (3) Coastal Carolina 13 - (2) Vandy 3   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (SEC Network) G2: (4) High Point 3 - (1) Clemson 4   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (2) Vandy 9 - (4) High Point 10   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (VandyBoys are Eliminated) G4: (1) Clemson 4 - (3) Coastal Carolina 3   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 11:00 AM (4) High Point vs (3) Coastal Carolina (Loser Eliminate) G6: 5:00 PM (1) Clemson vs G5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary) This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  (#11 Okie State -  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up ) Friday May 31st G1: (3) Florida 5 - (2) Nebraska 2   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up G2: (4) Niagara 7 - (1) Okie State 19   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Saturday June 1st G3: (2) Nebraska 7 - (4) Niagara 5   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up (The Purple Eagles Eliminated) G4: (1) Okie State 7 - (3) Florida 1   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up Sunday June 2nd G5: 1:00 PM (2) Nebraska vs (3) Florida (Loser Eliminated) (SEC Network) G6: 6:00 PM (1) Okie State vs Game 5 Winner Monday June 3rd G7: TBD G4 Winner vs G5 Winner (if necessary
    • The way they are talking sounds like they were from Beaumont.
    • I don't really like it but depending on how the brackets play out it could possibly help Woodville win a playoff game or 2 
    • I can’t think of one good reason unless you are currently receiving or hoping to receive an entitlement from the government.
  • Topics