Southeast texas baseball has been down hill for the last 6 or 7 years

Guest ltownbaseball9

I've seen alot local high school baseball in the past 20 years:

Pitching........The pitching is way down from prior years, no one is touching 90 as I've seen in the past.  Angelle, Parker, Blacksher, Harrington and Elhert could fit in during SETEX best years of baseball 1995-2001

Position players.....No big difference, pretty even over the years.

Defense........This is the biggest difference in high school baseball from prior years from my viewpoint, too many errors in today's high school baseball teams.

Yes, way to many errors today.  Everyone worries about hitting and seems to forget about defense.  Defense and pitching wins championships not hitting.  Ex. the BC and Jasper final game of the year.  That was some bad defense for two teams that are supposed to be state threats.

Coaching........Much improved from prior years, local AD's actually hiring baseball coaches instead of football coaches having to coach baseball

I've seen alot local high school baseball in the past 20 years:

Pitching........The pitching is way down from prior years, no one is touching 90 as I've seen in the past.  Angelle, Parker, Blacksher, Harrington and Elhert could fit in during SETEX best years of baseball 1995-2001

Position players.....No big difference, pretty even over the years.

Defense........This is the biggest difference in high school baseball from prior years from my viewpoint, too many errors in today's high school baseball teams.

Coaching........Much improved from prior years, local AD's actually hiring baseball coaches instead of football coaches having to coach baseball

Agree on all but will say there should be LOTS more going on with the availability of the tools todays player can use be it video or private coaches. In the late 90s you saw very few drafted from this area but you are seeing more today and it could be because of these guys in the 90s woke some people up as to the talent here in the GT. The 90s guys were Ben Broussard, Jason Tyner, John Patterson, Beau Hale, Jeff Moye, Josh Girdley, ? Ambrose, among a few others that were drafted and did play at the pro level. 

lets try this theory ltown...maybe these people seemed so much better because you were young and you can remember how big HIGH SCHOOLERS looked...Or 2...since lumberton hasnt had anyone since clay bucholtz(? spelling) you should probably be saying lumberton baseball has been down the last few years..

Guest ltownbaseball9

I just feel that the talent is down and yes the pitching talent is way down but look who came out of lumberton from 2001-2003......Jarod tate, Andrew, gay, Josh Mitchell, Clint Galloway, Clay Buchholz.  out of 5 of those guys 4 play Div 1 baseball. This year I have not saw a pitcher throw in the 90s that had good stuff. I mean in one year you had Josh Girdley, Dan Fletcher, Jarod Tate, Brad Sullivan, Josh Mitchell, Josh Gray, Jesse Cooksey, Trey Rinado, Jesse floyd, throwing during the same year, I gurantee you there hasn't been a year like that in the last 5 years. I Know there is good talent around the area, theres no doubt about that. I feel that the talent level is just down. I mean PNG, Nederland have been down. Look what they did in 98-2002 the were great but the last couple of years have been a struggle. I am not dogging this year baseball I am just saying that baseball in southeast texas is down right now you don't have the dominating 4a teams in the area like you use to. Lumberton made the playoffs 5 straight years so there down but I believe the talent will pick up. But just remember I am not dogging the baseball around here I am just speaking the truth and the truth is that the pitching is way down from previous years and hitting I could say its a little down to but not as much as pitching.

Guest ltownbaseball9

who cares how you spell it you know who i'm talking about. This is not composition 1 or 2 in college so I can careless how you spell it.

if were are talking about the last 5 years. i'll just list my favorite BC. I'm not going into the research of all the area schools. I dont feel like using an entire page on this post.

----02----

Luther Sanders  (Blinn)

Tyler Hays        (LaTech)

----03----

Jamey Knight      (Dalla Baptist)

Derek Blackshear (Panola/McNeese)

----05----

Ben Myers          (NorthWestern State)

Darrel Stevens    (McNeese State)

Hunter Hays      (McNeese State)     

David Coulter      (Angelina)

----06----

Randy Jennings  (ETBU)

Derek Coleman  (Lamar/Panola)

A.J. Hecker      (Lamar/ LSUE)

Broc Haymon    (McNeese)

Kevin Angelle    (Rangers/A&M/San Jac)

----07----

Jeff Stringer      (Lamar)

Jonny Dishon    (LSU)

and there will be others by the end of the season!

8 are still playing, 2 are going to graduate this year, and 1 is coming back off arm surgery. And for what it's worth. There comes a time when u realize your not going to make Baseball Tonight 4 nights a week on the Web Gems or Touch em All. So you hang them up, finish school, and start a life. Nothing wrong with that. Only some of us are lucky enough to chase the dream until your 30 and realize you never made it. 8 out of 13 who have already graduated. If you look at that stat from a baseball perspective, NOT BAD! The names from LCM NED PNG WB WOS VID all go unmentioned from that list. There are plenty of guys still playing in D1 schools from the area.

u forgot the jay bruce..the ewings...brandon castoelina...kevin cooper...randall taylor. all of these are very young players tht just came out of high school no more thn 2 years ago and thye r playing big league or D1 ball....david murphy tim ferguson dishon..and a few others are also going to big D1 colleges...

i believe tht it hasnt gone down at all...if ne thing its going up and there wil be many mroe grreat plaerys to come

Guest JCfan

ltown did this in basketball season. He makes statements and says " it's just the truth."

It can be what he believes and he thinks that's it.

Doesn't matter what you say or show him, so you all may want to save your fingers some typing.

Overall the eras you all are talking about are somewhat comparable and there was a lot of real good players in both.

Guest BC boy 17

im pretty sure the quality of baseball in this area has not dropped the least bit.....heck the quality may have gotten better

Guest baseball25

I hit and pitch against Girdley, Sullivan and the rest of those guys and i'll say this the pitching back then was better. The pitching now is down  no doubt about that but hitting maybe the same but overall teams then were better and had better overall talent, I'll say this i have watch alot of teams this year for the first time in a while and theirs not  many good teams around the area but there are some good players on the teams but there not loaded like they use to be. I'm sure it will pick up you go through droughts like this. Good Luck to the teams in the playoffs.

Good news about my Cuzin

1. Clay Buchholz, rhp, Double-A Portland (Red Sox)  

Ascending as rapidly as any pitching prospect in baseball, Buchholz struck out 17 batters in 12 innings last week. He didn't issue a walk and allowed just two runs on seven hits. The 6-foot-3, 190-pounder has a 1.98 ERA and 35 strikeouts vs. 3 walks in 27 1/3 innings. Just nine of the 55 lefties Buchholz has faced have reached base, while he has struck out 20 of them. He's positioning himself as a strong candidate to start in Fenway this season.

I do hope the boys that have signed with D1s have also signed with a Juco. There are many that think you can't do this, and the D1 coaches try and steer you away from this for their benefit NOT the players. If you will look at the D1s roster they are loaded up with x-Juco talent and most are well connected with the Juco coaches. 

ltown did this in basketball season. He makes statements and says " it's just the truth."

It can be what he believes and he thinks that's it.

Doesn't matter what you say or show him, so you all may want to save your fingers some typing.

Overall the eras you all are talking about are somewhat comparable and there was a lot of real good players in both.

That was well said did the same thing in basketball

Guest JCfan

All that said,90's to early 2000 was good.

I remember Cammack, and what about Randy Williams from Buna. He put in some good time at Lamar and has been all the way to the big club with the Rockies I believe.

Beau Hale played in that time also I believe.

SeTx baseball is grounded in tradition and will probably always be good!

In regards to the pitching being down recently and not having anyone touch 90.  I would say just look at 20-4a alone last year.

PNG

Harwood 88-90 Rice

McCinnis 89-91 Lamar

Myer 86-88 often injured but you can't question the talent (McClennon)

Nederland

Smith 88-91 Lamar

LCM

Ehlert 88-91 Texas A&M

My goodness this is just one district.

This year the area doesn't seem to be full of guys throwing 90 except the kid from Dayton.  Who is legit 88-90.  But these things run in cycles and many area teams are playing with some younger players who will likely be up near 90 in the future.

Here are a few candidates:

Hicks  BC

Harrington PNG

Spikes PNG

Smessney Dayton

Lott Ozen

Svoboda (sp) Westbrook

Sampere Ned

Brown LCM

Barry LCM

Hester Vidor

If just 3 or 4 of these guys get to that level (and I am sure I left some out) then they are right up there were this area has always been.

All those guys have great potential.

Just to name a few who made it to the minors or the show:

Beau Hale, John Patterson, Wes Cooksey, Eric Cammack

prospk2.jpg

Brad Sullivan (NED), Jesse Floyd (NED),Kyle Stutes (PNG), Brian Sanches(NED)

These guys still throwing, all from one district. Throw in Beau Hale and John Patterson those tuesday's and Friday's were fun in 90's and early 2000. 

HS pitchers who thro in the high 80s CONSISTANTLY are probably less than you would think. Now touching the 90s is not unusual but to tho in the 90s cosistantly is a blessing and if you look farther you will see why some do. Take Josh Becket, he was throwing mid 90s with a mid 80s +curve in his senior yr, BUT he was HELD back a yr before he entered the 9th grade, giving him a extra yr in HS ball. Becket was taken 2nd after Josh Hamilton who is a yr. younger than Becket but threw mid 90s in his senior yr. If you check the ages and birthdays on current players you can tell more or project what they mite do.    

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83