**Senate Passes Bill Forcing UIL To Accept Private Schools**

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True Kelly isn't a power house now but they aren't in the uil competing at this time.  I know it's hard to do but you must project into the future.  What class would Kelly play in? Are they going to give scholarships like they do now?  Are they still going to be supported by the church and does the cost of school still depend on how much you make and if you are Catholic? Is that fair? So that i'm not hiding anything I coach in the public schools.  Those of you that are supporting this bill, do you have kids in private or public schools?  Just to make sure where everyone stands.

And any one that doesn't think this town has money doesn't pay attention.

I coach there and I don't know where all this money is that everyone talking about. The public schools pay their coachs more than we get at Kelly.

I'll second that....LOL.  Doesn't Louisiana allow their private schools to participate with public schools?  Kelly has been to state and seen the best private schools softball programs and I don't feel like any of them were unbeatably stacked.  Yes there are really good private school teams, like Kelly  ;D.  But none are the olympic team of high school softball.

Guest ECBucFan

I coach there and I don't know where all this money is that everyone talking about. The public schools pay their coachs more than we get at Kelly.

Obviously we are not talking about coaches pay. I am talking about political influence. Do you or anyone else honestly think rich entities don't have political connections and sway? Let's be real here! 

This will have a big impact on Texas high school basketball.  Recently HBO Real Sports did an investigation into these so called basketball academies.  Most of them are funded by sports agents or shoe companies.  Not only do they recruit from all over the US but overseas as well.  The show explained that the "curriculum" is like a home school learn at your own pace.  They travel all over the country to play games and tournaments.  Most of the players sign scholarships with D-1 colleges in hopes of then jumping to the NBA.  The UIL will have fun with these.

This will have a huge impact on soccer, too.  The top UIL soccer programs in Texas are either predominatly hispanic or upper-middle class and white.  I'm pretty sure most private schools cater to one of these categories.

Kelly could definitely compete in soccer in 4A and some years in 5A.  They would dominate 3A if and when there's a 3A division.

What about individual sports like cross country, tennis, golf and track?  Will home school kids be able to compete in UIL districts?  Imagine nationally ranked tennis players, with their own coaches, who are home schooled competing for district and state titles.  I don't know how the UIL can leave out home schooled kids if their parents fill out the proper paper work.

I graduated from a private school and feel that this will be a bad law.  Recruiting will be a large issue.  My daughter was recruited by a private school and the tuition was to be covered. She chose not to go (didn't want to leave her friends). I can see real problems.  The majority of private school parents are most likely opposed to this law, they do not trust TEA and UIL to stay out of their business. If the government gets involved with private education and athletics the private schools will have to make compromises and that will delute what they are trying to accomplish.

Yes, scholarships can be available for by a school.  What happens most of the time is someone who can afford it pays the tuition. There are really no rules.  As others have said it all about money. And that is what really bothers me, we do not need that in the public school system.  It should be very simple if a public school wants to play UIL then they should be forced to abide by all UIL rules.  I can assue you that that will not happen.  BAD BAD LAW!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83