***WEEK 8 SETXSPORTS.COM TOP 10***

Released by MIF04

SETXSPORTS.COM BASEBALL TOP TEN

WEEK #8

The word of the week is ‘tie’…as in every 5A, 4A and 3A district is tied at the top.  Start with this:  half of last week’s top ten lost at least 1 game this past week.  Last week’s #1 (Barbers Hill) got beat and our #2 (PNG) lost twice.  With all of the district races knotted, this week will be ‘moving week’ as only 2 weeks remain in the regular season.  Not only will we all be watching our own games but cell phones will be buzzin’ to get scores from all across the area.  And that what makes this time of year so fun.

Did I say ‘tie’?  In 21-5A, West Brook and Baytown Sterling are tied at 8-2…with a Monday afternoon showdown 24 hours away.  Over in 21-4A, New Caney went toe-to-toe with Barbers Hill, beat ‘em, and they’re ‘even up’ at the top at 9-1.  Closer to home (22-4A) is a mess of sorts.  PNG and LCM are tied for 1st at 8-2.  Vidor holds a ½ game lead for the third and final playoff spot (the Pirates’ game vs. Dayton was rained out) over Nederland (6-4) while Dayton sits at 5-4.  All 5 of those teams got a shot…and no one has clinched.  If that’s not close enough for you, move down to 21-3A where Bridge City, Jasper and Silsbee are all tied for first at 9-2…all just 1 game ahead of the surging HJ Hawks.  And, last (but not least) Liberty and Tarkington are tied at the top in 22-3A at 5-1. 

Remember our word ‘tie’ as you go through our rankings.  We have a new poll as well (2A/1A) and, in keeping with an ‘out with old and in with the new’, we have a new #1…the West Brook Bruins.

1.   WEST BROOK (3)

The Bruins leap frog over BH and PNG for one reason…they won and the other lost.  They rode strong pitching performances from the Svoboda brothers (Josiah and Nathaniel) in downing Kingwood and Baytown Lee but the area’s most talented team will need all they got on Monday when 21-5A co-leader Baytown Sterling comes to town for a 4 p.m. afternoon classic.  The district championship is ‘on the line’ as is playoff seeding.  It’s the only game in town that day…don’t miss it.

2.   BARBERS HILL (1)

The Eagles got smoked by New Caney and PJ Dean, 5-1 on Saturday in what they can only hope is a wakeup call in advance of the playoffs.  BH hopes this is only a ‘hiccup’ but, after an early week game vs. Smiley, they travel to Huffman to face their long time nemesis, the Huffman Falcons.  Here’s to hope Huffman will stand up to the Eagles (this time) and give us a baseball game worth watching.   

3.   TIE:  LCM (7) AND PNG (2)

4.   TIE

These two long time foes find themselves locked in District 22-4A and locked in our polls.  The Indians looked uncatchable…until this week when the Indians dropped two in a row.  First, they lost to the Bears 5-4 and then they ran into a buzz saw named Beau…and got no-hit by Nederland.  You wonder if the Indians, who found a way to win their first 8 games, have suddenly forgotten how?  They should get to breathe easy with Lumberton but a trip to Vidor at the end of the week could be a dangerous game for them.  The Bears on the other hand have got to feel great.  It took them only seven days to ratchet themselves into a first place tie.  Any win against PNG is great and LCM followed it up by playing ‘long ball’ in their 19-9 win over Ozen.  Their week ahead, however, will have a lot to do with what happens in 22-4A…they have Dayton at home and then travel to Nederland, both big, big games in this district.

5.   TIE:  BRIDGE CITY(6)JASPER(5) & SILSBEE (4)

6.   TIE

They can’t separate themselves so why should we?  BC had the best week…going 2-0 by routing Kirbyville 11-0 and then rallying from an early deficit to defeat HF 9-4.  Jasper watched in horror as a late inning lead evaporated vs. HJ only to see it get worse when the Hawks won in extra innings.  The 11-0 win on Thursday over WOS provides little solace.  And Silsbee’s week started with their own loss (4-2) to HJ made only slightly bearable with a 11-0 win over Kirbyville.  With TAKS testing this week, 21-3A only plays once…but what a huge game it’ll be:  Silsbee at Jasper.  BC hosts WOS so the Cards can hope to cruise this week…before their own matchup with Jasper the following Friday. 

8.   NEDERLAND (NR)

They’re baaaaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkkk!!!!  Remember these guys?  Given up for dead?  Well, they ain’t dead yet and following their 14-4 pounding of Central and Helmke’s no-no pounding of PNG, they are alive and well, just one-half game out of the playoffs.  They’ll be watching the scoreboard this week but got their own problems to deal with…they travel to ‘spoiler’ Ozen then host LCM on Friday.  What a comeback.

9.   VIDOR (9)

They beat Lumberton 6-3.  Ho-hum.  They got rained out against Dayton.  That poses some scheduling issues for the Pirates as they head into the home stretch.  They play at Central then host PNG on Friday.  But wait…look ahead.  Monday at Dayton, Tuesday at Ozen and then Friday vs. LCM.  Coach Green is gonna have to throw one of those games for ‘em.  The Pirates need to strap it up for this run…it could be brutal.

10.   HARDIN JEFFERSON (NR)

The Hawks inch their way back into the Top Ten with a huge week…wins over Silsbee and Jasper is a heckuva season for most teams but that was HJ’s week last week.  They sit at 8-3, 1 game behind 21-3A’s ‘Big 3â€.  With only a game at OF this week, and the Silsbee-Jasper matchup at the same time, recognize this:  HJ will be tied with the loser of that game for the 3rd and final playoff spot.  Look at them Hawks now…

SMALL SCHOOL (2A/1A)

1.   BUNA (the Cougars clinched the district crown this week)

2.   EVADALE (the Rebs continue to roll)

3.   PINELAND WEST SABINE (state ranked #5 in 1A)

4.   COLMESNEIL (remain tied with Pineland West Sabine in that district’s race)

5.   WOODVILLE (8-2 in district and always a factor in the playoffs)

6.   TIE (That’s right, another tie):  SABINE PASS and HIGH ISLAND (both hanging tough for not just the playoffs but a district championship)

IN, OUT AND ON THE BUBBLE:

Big games abound this week and the biggest game depends on who ‘your’ team may be.  I like the West Brook vs. Sterling game.  You won’t find many more HS games with more D-1 talent on the field at the same time.  Of course, the Silsbee-Jasper game sends the loser into a tie for the last playoff spot with HJ…with 1 week to go.  I wouldn’t even want to start predicting what may happen in 22-4A other than to say that both Vidor and Dayton (due to the rainout) have tough rows to hoe and that may swing the balance towards Nederland (along with LCM and PNG).  Huh…the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Here’s hoping the rain stays away this week, that we have beautiful weather and, just as importantly, we have beautiful baseball.  The stage is certainly set for that.

Go to the games.  Have a hot dog.  Yell at the umps (but only a little).  Watch your kid or the son of your best friend.  Enjoy it (especially you parents of seniors)…we only got 2 weeks to go.  See ya next week!!!!   

I have made it to Rome. what a trip . Of course I had to sign on and check the latest. Mrs Ruth is knocked out in the room, she would make me take a slow boat back if she found me on computer.Let me digest this top 10 and see what the  Pope thinks tomorrow. 

Hey...tell the Pope I said 'hey'.  Sure that'll make his day.  Also ask him how he sees the playoffs shaking out, will ya?  BTW...you ARE on lucky guy.  My big trip?  Friday to PA Memorial to watch WB vs. PA.  Now, does that sound fair?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83