DCTF comments on Mid-County Madness

dme1111

Matt Stepp is a high school football insider for DCTF.  These were his comments after attending the game this weekend.  

Mid-County Madness lives up to the billing

Right before the season started, DCTF named the Nederland-Port Neches-Groves rivalry as the state’s best rivalry game and I got to attend the game Friday night. It was everything it was billed to be and then some. Nederland, a significant underdog against unbeaten PNG, pulled out a thrilling 36-35 win in front of an overflow crowd of well over 12,000 at Bulldog Stadium Friday. It was a back and forth affair and PNG quarterback Roschon Johnson was sensational as the Texas-commit ran for five touchdowns and his score with 1:17 left to put PNG up 35-28 appeared to be the game winner. Nederland wouldn’t go away and marched 77 yards with Kevon Latulas scoring his third receiving touchdown with 13 seconds left to make it 35-34. First-year head coach Monte Barrow called a timeout to draw up a two-point play and it worked to perfection as linebacker Colton Beeson lined up at tight end and was open in the end zone for the two-point try and the heart stopping win. It was a mad house after the game and it’s one I won’t soon forget. My advice is that if you love Texas high school football, put this rivalry game on your bucket list.

This is the hidden content, please