Bryan Rudder 78 Barbers Hill 77/Final

12 hours ago, Bronco/Cat Fan said:

Rudder shot lights out and played a good overall game. Congratulations to them. The six point turnaround at the end of the third hurt Barbers Hill, but they were in the game all the way. Congratulations to the Eagles on a great season. 

Bronco/Cat Fan, I agree "Rudder shot lights out and played a good overall game."  There were a couple of scoring "turnarounds" that really hurt Barbers Hill, particularly when BH's post player (Charli) was substituted out the game.  Personally, I thought the Rudder game was one of Charli's best games, along with several other BH players who stepped up and made big shots.  

This young team had an awesome season and I am really proud of them. As a fan/parent, I would probably be content with our play against Rudder; however, as someone who knows better, our defensive play over the last several years continues to hurt us in big games. Rudder is a very good team, played good overall basketball; and once again defeated a BH team that I personally believe should not have lost.

Great season Lady Eagles. You guys had an awesome season!!!!

The difference between last year and this year was very evident. The emergence of the young players and their confident play was a pleasure to watch. Of course, Charli's growth as a player was evident also. The next two years for them should be very exciting. There is always room for improvement and I hope to see fewer turnovers and more contested three point attempts,but again congratulations on a great season to all involved with the Barbers Hill Lady Eagles..

Personally, I do not believe "turnovers" were the primary cause for the loss; however, the turnovers that occurred during the two "turnarounds" were damaging.  Often, turnovers can be minimized by knowing one's personnel and knowing who to have on the floor at given times and situations.

Yes, there is always room for improvement, but if the main issue is "defense," that, in my opinion, is unacceptable for a team who is to be among the elite.  There's significantly more to defense than pointing out who to guard or simply standing in one's spot while in a zone defense.  You mentioned one aspect of defense, i.e., "contesting three point attempts." Well, on the surface, that seems simple and easy; however, it involves several defensive drills in order to perfect.  It makes no sense for an elite team to have to get out of man defense because its ineffective and into a zone defense that looks almost as badly.  Of course, one's zone defense is only going to be as effective as one's man defense because the zone defense is based on man principles.  A good zone looks like a man....and a good man looks like a zone.  Example, the 1st quarter of Crosby against Rudder, Crosby applied very good half-court man defense against Rudder and was up 18-2 at the end of the 1st quarter. Be that as it may be, great season for the young team, but their youth is not the reason they are not going to San Antonio.

I do not think nor did I state turnovers were the primary reason BH lost to Rudder. There a numerous things you could point to including who comes into the game off the bench at particular times and others you have pointed out.I would think that those issues will be worked on. I am just a fan who enjoys watching the game, not a coach. I have attended a lot of the Lady Eagles games since around '96 and followed them in the paper some before that. I hope they have even greater success in the future, as I'm sure you do too..

On 3/1/2016 at 6:03 PM, Hoopster-007 said:

Personally, I do not believe "turnovers" were the primary cause for the loss; however, the turnovers that occurred during the two "turnarounds" were damaging.  Often, turnovers can be minimized by knowing one's personnel and knowing who to have on the floor at given times and situations.

Yes, there is always room for improvement, but if the main issue is "defense," that, in my opinion, is unacceptable for a team who is to be among the elite.  There's significantly more to defense than pointing out who to guard or simply standing in one's spot while in a zone defense.  You mentioned one aspect of defense, i.e., "contesting three point attempts." Well, on the surface, that seems simple and easy; however, it involves several defensive drills in order to perfect.  It makes no sense for an elite team to have to get out of man defense because its ineffective and into a zone defense that looks almost as badly.  Of course, one's zone defense is only going to be as effective as one's man defense because the zone defense is based on man principles.  A good zone looks like a man....and a good man looks like a zone.  Example, the 1st quarter of Crosby against Rudder, Crosby applied very good half-court man defense against Rudder and was up 18-2 at the end of the 1st quarter. Be that as it may be, great season for the young team, but their youth is not the reason they are not going to San Antonio.