College Volleyball Recruiting Process

Silsbee92

In response to several offline conversations this year I have had with some parents about the availability of knowledgeable personnel with experience in the areas of the High School Volleyball recruiting process, I have posted this topic to get some input from those that have been through this process or even some coaches who might want to shed some light for some of the parents who probably just can not figure out where to start.

Post some info, links, contacts or whatever. Any legit and useful info will at least point in the right direction.

Lets assume that there is a lack of experience and time from the high school coaches themselves.  Not every school has a pipeline to some form of college program.

Lets have it.  Share those experiences.

Thanks to the members and moderators.

* Moderators: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum but I could not find one suitable. Maybe a College Recruiting Area??

Thanks in advance for all the good work you do.

Softball- "Select" Play (Unfortunately the college coaches do not contact/care if they play HS softball).

Baseball-"Select" Play and HS Play" (Slowly headed in the same direction as Softball, still talk to HS Head Coach)

Volleyball- "Select" Play (Just the same as Softball, Very few options unless playing in tournaments with select team)

Football- Everything still goes through the Head coaches office, BUT with all the camps/combines/7 -on-7, its headed to where softball is)

Basketball- "Select Play and HS Play (It is also dominated by AAU and most colleges aren't concerned with HS anymore)

Track/Tennis/golf/soccer: Sorry I don't have experience with this recruiting process.

I am in the frame of mind that if your child has "true talent/skills" then their performance will garner some attention from somewhere.  

However, do not wait to get started or depend on anyone else to get you noticed!!

Word of mouth can help in some cases but in the end it depends on the athlete to decide just how much they want

to play at the next level.  Once they have made that decision then the adults can start fulfilling their role.  

First off is educating yourself!!  Don't take info as gospel.  Trust, but verify!!

A few links that might help get frame of mind set.

This is the hidden content, please

Very true. H I have seen Lamar Beaumont and P.A. , McNeese and LSU at many local High school games. Sils is correct on the kid has to want to go further and how far they go is up to them. 

I know there are a lot of recruiting companies out there that will contact you to do a video { which you can do yourself on HUDL and save 800$} and they send mass emails to Jr colleges. So do your research before using on of these companies.

Thanks for posting all the links Sils92

College coaches do not show up to High School Volleyball games due to the fact that they are playing at the same time and do not have time to attend High School games. Do not depend on your high school coach to help you get that scholarship. If you are a phenom you might get a college coach show up. You almost have to be a part of a large club volleyball out of a large metro area that plays in major tournaments. You have to attend camps of schools you are interested in. Then you have to email, email, email. If coaches don't know about you then you can't just expect them to find out about you. There are 1000's of girls that play on so many courts every weekend. 

I agree One chance... But have personally seen Lamar  and McNeese come to an Ozen and Deweyville game. Having said that , I was told that those two coaches do a lot of publicity for their girls.

Sils 92 and I have talked about starting a thread like this and if ANYBODY has any questions they can ask and hopefully we will have several people on here that can give advice or tell them who to contact. I am learning a lot about volleyball. My thing is softball and baseball.. But want to help every kid I can if they want to play at the next level.

A simple thing as getting a coach to put all the kids stats on Max Preps can help. I have dealt with a few college coaches that spend a lot of time on that site. 

Making a video and having it on Hudle and you tube. The McNeese coach told me that they use You tube but not Hudl. Lamar uses Hudl. Then have your coach email the colleges. Thanks for the post One Chance.

My opinion there is no excuse for not submitting stats.  Simple thing to do, whether winning or losing.

Also agree with onechance on the exposure. Get on a club, doesn't matter unless it's going to the big tourneys and you are playing. 

Kennidee will benefit big time for the Phenom invite.  Kudos to whoever submitted her because it takes a recommendation.

You will get the local commuter university's (Lamar, McNeese) and LSCPA (if they had VB) types from your local area. If you live in Nac area you might have SFA stop in and watch girls, but here in SETX you aren't going to have the large Div 1 schools just pop in. It is up to the parents of the players to make sure it happens. I wouldn't goes as far as say any large club that plays in large tournaments. You have to be able to play in the prime court locals, with the opportunity to go to Nationals in the summer, because that is where every coach in the Nation will be all at one time. Then email email email the coaches so that they know times and court locations where you will be playing at and your entire team has to be commited to email email email, so that you get as many coaches as possible at that court when your team is playing.

Mine had aspirations of play softball in college and was starting to get interest from colleges in the 8th grade then decided her love for volleyball was greater so now has aspirations of playing volleyball in college. We have made the commitment as a Sophomore to drive to Houston twice a week for club volleyball practice to help her try and achieve her goals!