Pitcher of Record

According to the NFHS rule book, winning pitcher is credited by the following rule.

NFHS rule book the winning pitcher is determined if: The starting pitcher has pitched the first 4 innings and his team is ahead when he is replaced and the team holds the lead for the remainder of the game.

If the starting pitcher leaves before the completion of innings and his team is ahead, the official scorer will name the winning pitcher to be the relief pitcher who was most effective.

what if the game is over after 3 innings? Tournaments or run rules?

With run rules, the game must go 5 so that has no bearing on the winning pitcher, same rule applies. Tournaments I don't know, you would have to give it to the starting pitcher of course if he's the only pitcher in the game.

I always thought in a run rule (or time limit), the starter was eligible for the game if he pitched more than 1/2 the game (i.e., 3 in a 5 inning game). If you pitched Harwood, got a 15-0 lead and pulled him after 2, then he didn't get the win. On the other hand, I defer to the rules rather than my 'understanding'.

Is there no room for the official scorer to use common sense.

How about this-

A starter works 6 innings and has a 6-0 advantage. A relief pitcher comes in and gives up 6 runs in the top of the 7th and the team wins the game by one in the bottom of the 7th. Does the win have to go to the relief pitcher that go lit up?

Somewhere in the rule books (maybe not high school rule books) lies a loop hole called "scorer's discretion".

Example: I once watched a game where a kid made his major league debut and came into the game to start the eight with a six to zero lead. At the end of the eighth inning his team was down seven to six. He came back out in the top of the ninth and held them scoreless. In the bottom of the ninth his team scored two to win. In an interview after the game he was congratulated for his first big league victory. Later in the closing statements by commentators they revealed that the win was taken from him and awarded to the starter that had thrown 7 shutout innings. They said this fell under the scorer's discretion clause.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anagha.23
    Newest Member
    anagha.23