Favorite Things About Being in a Deer Stand

bronco1

BIGDADDYDAVEHJ's post on the deer season thread got me to thinking.

One of my favorite things to hear while I am deer hunting is a flock of woodducks coming through the trees. Squealin', twistin, and turning. You see a million things that might be a deer, then all of the sudden you see what you know for sure is a deer. Isn't it amazing how many things look like a set of antlers or deer head, only to find out its a stump or a palmetto.

It is interesting looking at the wildlife in east Texas from a deer stand.

You can see coyotes, rabbits, mink, foxes, turkey, squirrels.... just about everything but deer. Actually I see a lot of deer also. It is kind of fun watching the deer a few feet away, especially when you know you are not going to shoot them. But on occasion one will step out that just needs to be eaten.....

I got a great deer stand - dry, warm, new carpet - I see lots of deer, quail, hogs, havies, coyotes, a few bob cats, and once in a while a few.........wetba....er.....uh...........illegal immigrants!

hahaha thats funny...best thing about it is that no matter what you see your away from everyrthing and everyone and you dont have a care in the world!

hahaha thats funny...best thing about it is that no matter what you see your away from everyrthing and everyone and you dont have a care in the world!

I agree but that is not totally true. I care that my vacation ends in 4 days and I have to get back to the grind.

You kidding? I do my best sleeping in a deer stand.

Then I wake up, check for deer.... and remember I have to go back to work in 4 days. bomb.gif

Bet cha didn't get much sleep under your raincoat in 28 degree sleet when you couldn't find your spot down in south Texas  -now did ya :o!

quote]

Bet cha didn't get much sleep under your raincoat in 28 degree sleet when you couldn't find your spot down in south Texas  -now did ya :o!

Exaggerating a bit aren't you? It was only down to 29 and no, I didn't sleep.

But then again, as per the title of the thread, I was not in a Deer Stand. Had I been in my stand, I would have been asleep with my catalytic heater keeping me toasty warm.

BUT.... I am ready to go back.......

i dont care what yall say if its rainging, 20 degrees outside or if its snowing, one way or another ima get sum sleep!

I would say that also but sitting out in the rain/sleet and trying to hold a poncho over my head like a tent is not conducive to a peaceful sleep. Add the 29 degree temp and the sleet hitting the poncho did not help the cause.

There are two of the biggest, fattest squirrels who run and play outside my deer stand.  They are always there and I look forward to seeing them everytime. 

Excellent post. I know this might sound cheesy but it truly is the simple things that make life grand.

The other day I was duck hunting with my boys. Some woodducks landed about 80 yds away through the flooded timber a few minutes later they swam right up to us. I mean one drake was about 5 ft from me, it was unbelievable. Ahhh, the simple things. Oh yeah, we ended wackin 2 of them. ;D

Isn't it beautiful being in the outdoors. Seeing the wild animals in their native habitat. Watching them go about their day to day struggles to get through life and to procreate. To have them parade in front of you in the lovely awe of nature. Then kill them and eat their flesh.

Favorite thing about a deer stand is watching the sun come up on a cold clear morning out in the Texas hill country. All of a sudden the world just comes alive with all kind of animals and birds. Its the male version of calgon take me away.

oh yeah

Then you get hungry and start shooting things!!!

Favorite thing about a deer stand is watching the sun come up on a cold clear morning out in the Texas hill country. All of a sudden the world just comes alive with all kind of animals and birds. Its the male version of calgon take me away.

oh yeah

Then you get hungry and start shooting things!!!

I doubt hunger has anything to do with it. More like male bonding stuff. Go back to camp and show what poor animal was slaughtered. That really gets to me when guys do that..... unless I have the biggest one and then it is great.

All the big bucks this year where young so they all got to walk. Next year should be a good one like 2 years ago. With several deer taken with spreads 18 inches or better. Given we get some rain out there this spring. I know they get plenty of feed. Each hunter on our lease has a 1800 lb feeder that feeds twice a day. Not counting the protein blocks and alfalfa hay we give them. Yall should see the fat on these deer when we clean them.

I doubt hunger has anything to do with it. More like male bonding stuff. Go back to camp and show what poor animal was slaughtered. That really gets to me when guys do that..... unless I have the biggest one and then it is great.

It not just male bonding.  Once again, I am a girl and I love being in the deer stand and enjoying the nature around me. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder