Interesting perspective

TxHoops

I know a lot of you don't like the Hollywood-types giving their 2 cents on political matters. And this is probably something many of you have seen before, but it was new to me. I found this interesting and thought provoking. Especially in reference to this board, since any discussion on race generally gets locked, and usually for good reason. Many of us don't know how to discuss it in a productive, non-offensive manner. Maybe Mr. Freeman is right. Maybe the answer is to keep race from being an issue by not making it an issue. I think this is where our youth today have it right. Black, white, yellow...my experience is that most of them just don't care. It's a non-issue. Anyway, here you go:

http://youtu.be/GeixtYS-P3s

Denzel Washington made a similar statement after he had won the Oscar for Training Day. 

I can't find a video of it but it was backstage after the event. Some doofus reporter asked Washington behind the stage something like, "When will it become normal that we don't report that a black man won the Oscar".

Washington's response was awesome. He looked at the reporter and made a statement that was similar to, "What a great opportunity you have to not mention my race in your article and just say that I won the Oscar". 

Obviously the words varied from what I wrote but not by much. The idiot reporter asked a stupid question and he was shut up by Washington' statement that the reporter had a great chance to simply not mention race in his article. Of course that didn't happen but I love the sentiment. 

Denzel Washington made a similar statement after he had won the Oscar for Training Day.

I can't find a video of it but it was backstage after the event. Some doofus reporter asked Washington behind the stage something like, "When will it become normal that we don't report that a black man won the Oscar".

Washington's response was awesome. He looked at the reporter and made a statement that was similar to, "What a great opportunity you have to not mention my race in your article and just say that I won the Oscar".

Obviously the words varied from what I wrote but not by much. The idiot reporter asked a stupid question and he was shut up by Washington' statement that the reporter had a great chance to simply not mention race in his article. Of course that didn't happen but I love the sentiment.

Great story. I will bet the reporter had the same blank look on his face that Mike Wallace did in the video above.

I believe race will become a non-issue eventually (and hopefully). Remember the fuss 20-30 years ago when a black man played QB in the NFL? Now it is not even a talking point.