Bamer vs mountaineers

Roper84

Thoughts on Kiffin?

I'm reserving judgment because I don't think any analysis can really be complete and reliable with this question mark hanging over the QB position. I think he was being pretty conservative with the play calling (especially in the first half) to give Sims a chance to get acclimated and to get a feel for what the offense is capable of in a real game. That makes it hard to analyze his play-calling on its own merits. For example, there were several instances where I would normally expect play action or a shot downfield and we would try a screen pass or run the ball instead, but I can't tell you if that's indicative of a real shift in Alabama's offensive philosophy since Kiffin came on board or if it's just Kiffin being conservative due to the circumstances.

I have some pretty serious concerns about Sims, though. I'm willing to chalk some of it up to nerves since he seemed to straighten out in the second half, but there were a lot of underthrown balls at very bad times and he had a habit of throwing into coverage when he had other guys wide open. If he can't handle pressure from West Virginia well, I have serious concerns about what's going to happen when we take on a real, SEC defense, if he wins the job. I'm anxious to see what Coker can do against FAU, even though that'll basically be comparing apples to oranges.