Thoughts, opinions, advise --- Greatly appreciated

My daughter is playing 14u leage softball and is pretty good player. She expresses interest in playing select but the whole tryout process makes her nervous and frankliy she does play at her best when she is uncomfortable like that. There are already a lot of great select organizations in the orange area as it is, but she posed a question to me that I am giving consideration. She asked if I would be willing to put together a team and play maybe 2 tournaments a month between Beaumont and Lake Charles. While she loves softball she is just 13 and loves time to spend with friends and do things outside of softball just as much.  With that being said I dont feel she is ready to commit to the current organizations available.  I know this area has a lot of talented girls that like my daughter loves the game but likes to be a typical 13 year old just as much. Also their is a lot of families and very talented kids that do not have the financial means to join some of the larger current organizations. This would be a pay as you play team with the only expense would be the cost of the jersey.  If anyone would be willing to give me any feedback on this or advice, or would be interested please let me know. I would greatly appreciate any knowledge and advise on this matter.

If you and your daughter are considering going select, why dont you contact a few of the organizations to see about being a pick up player. This way yall can determine if this is something yall are interested in. Most girls that age have been playing travel ball for a few years. It is a lot of time and effort from a coach's perspective. Just an option.

We'll be forming a 14U Golden Triangle Gators Fastpitch Select Girls Softball Team.  In only their first full year of play, the 12U Gators already have a vastly improved and competitive Team.  We'll have some girls that will be moving up from the 12U Team to the 14U Team, but we'll also be looking for additional ball players as well. 

After the State Tournament in early June we'll begin "soft" practices working with pitchers and catchers and working on hitting and fielding fundamentals and situational softball.  We'll continue this routine through June and July with an eye towards tryouts in early August 2013.  Our plan is to play a very robust Fall tournament schedule in preparation for Spring 2014.

Our practice field is located off of 9th Street adjacent to Memorial High School. 

We'll be looking for girls that want to compete and have the desire to improve every week and enjoy playing the game of softball.  We'll also be looking for some coaching help as well.

We're excited about this new 14U Team and the opportunities it presents.  For additional information, you can call, text or e-mail:

Chester Jourdan at 409 720 8361 or [email protected]   

• 1 month later...
It looks like the 14U Golden Triangle Gators will have open practices beginning next week Tuesday, June 18th at 6pm at our fields off of 9th Avenue across from Memorial High School.  Nothing formal.  We'll work on fundamentals, drills, play some games and conditioning.  You and your daughter are more than welcome to come by and participate.

I can also be reached at 409 720 8361 or [email protected].

Thanks,
Chester

• 2 weeks later...
The Golden Triangle Gators will have open practice/workouts on Thursday, June 20th at the field(s) off of 9th avenue across from Memorial High School (you’ll see my black Ford 150 crew cab 4x4 truck next to the field) around 6pm.  We’ll work out this week and next week; take the week of July 1st off and start back the week of July 8th with an eye on tryouts sometime the first week in August.  Nothing formal – we’ll work mostly on fundamentals.  On Tuesdays, we'll work on catching, throwing and fielding and Thursdays hitting and base running.  We'll also have conditioning drills and running as well.  At this time, with summer, etc. not sure how many girls will be available but my daughter Callie will be there for sure. 

We’ll have a mix of 10U/12u/14u girls at the workouts.  You and your daughter(s) are more than welcome. 

Thanks,
Chester

The Golden Triangle Gators will have open practice/workouts Tuesday, June 25th and Thursday, June 27th at the field(s) off of 9th avenue across from Memorial High School (you’ll see my black Ford 150 crew cab 4x4 truck next to the field) around 6pm.  Nothing formal – we’ll work mostly on fundamentals.  On Tuesday we'll work mostly on throwing and fielding and Thursday hitting and base running.  At this time, with summer, etc. not sure how many girls will be there but my daughter Callie will be for sure.  We’ll work out this week; take the week of July 1st off and start back the week of July 8th with an eye on tryouts sometime the first week in August. 

We’ll probably have a mix of both 12u/14u girls at the workouts.

Thanks,
Chester

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder