are sub-.500 teams watering down the playoffs?

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1395265" timestamp="1366209731"]
[quote author=Trocket link=topic=111173.msg1395246#msg1395246 date=1366208100]
Can you imagine a 1-9 or 0-10 team making the playoffs someday. ;) ;D ;D
[/quote]
hasn't there already been a 2-8 team go?
[/quote]Yes, but I'm not gonna touch that ;D ;D

Look - No Offense - We can all come up with a team or two, perhaps even 3 that had a bad season record and came in 4th in their district and then exceeded expectations by winning a playoff game - perhaps even 2.  But the subject of this tread is are we watering down the playoffs and that answer is a loud yes we are.  Hell my son was on the Liberty team I think in 2006 that was 4-6 and was District Champs and beat a 9-0 Barbers Hill team to do it.  So I know that record does not always reflect the talent level of any given team. 

However, But by far most 4th place district teams have very little chance of making it past the first round.  And I have experience with that as well as my son was also on the Liberty team that came in 3rd place in District 22AAA and then got pounded by WOS 60-0 in the first round of the playoffs.  And we beat the 4th place team that year I think like 44-14 so think what they would have entitled to if they had played WOS that year.

[quote name="catfever" post="1394778" timestamp="1366128902"]
[b]How do 2 sub. .500 teams play each other in the 1st round.[/b]  One of them would have had to of done well in district.  That would be  rare occurence.  In 5A a few years back. Plugerville HS got 4th in dstrict and went all the way to the state championship game.  That instance makes it worth it right there.  Yes, most probably don't need to be in the playoffs, but there are some who will be competitive and win.  You are only adding one game.
[/quote]
Because theey go into DI and DII based on enrollment not where they place in the district. So a 4-6 team could be the 4th place team in their district and be the smallest enrollment so they would be the DII #2 seed. They would play the other districts DII #1 seed which could be the third place team in that district.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed