Question For Dickie Vitale

Dickie, I'm very curious and maybe you can enlighten us on the process college recruiters (like yourself) have as you travel around the country looking at talent. For example, I'm guessing at your university your looking towards the future in filling spots for the next 1-3 years. Also, what are some of the main things you hone into to determine if a kid fits your team concept?

First and foremost when we look to fill spots for the coming year with a high school kid (which is rare), we find out FIRST if he is a QUALIFIER academically...Thats core credit hours, GPA, and SAT/ACT score...We generally look at Junior College and/D1 transfers here, but if we are on a high school kid, he is strictly for the future, OR he is a kid that could possibly play at the D1 level....Skill/Talent Level, Upside, Size and Basketball IQ are big factors in what we look at when we evaluate high school kids, in addition to his attitude, or his ability to be coached.  Gotta go break down film right now, but I will finish this later.... ;)

OK..where was I? As far as recruiting for the next 1-3 years, we will usually have a "hot" list of kids that are underclassmen to watch, but as you know we cannot contact them until the completion of their junior season, but we can send mail, and info on our program to them via their HS coach.  We watch those kids in summer ball and in season, and we determine if he is a fit for our program, then we start the pursuit...IF they are academically qualified, of course..The BEST time to evaluate potential HS kids is the summer entering their senior season...Thats usually when they face the most competition, AND they are playing SO many games. During the HS season, you are usually able to see more TEAM qualities in a kid, and can gauge if they are TRUE winners, or front runners...Honestly, we won't recruit a kid from a losing program, UNLESS, he is WILLING his team to some wins in the process..Losing is a habit, just as winning...We want winners...Hope that helped!  8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1368501" timestamp="1359651086"]
OK..where was I? As far as recruiting for the next 1-3 years, we will usually have a "hot" list of kids that are underclassmen to watch, but as you know we cannot contact them until the completion of their junior season, but we can send mail, and info on our program to them via their HS coach.  We watch those kids in summer ball and in season, and we determine if he is a fit for our program, then we start the pursuit...IF they are academically qualified, of course..The BEST time to evaluate potential HS kids is the summer entering their senior season...Thats usually when they face the most competition, AND they are playing SO many games. During the HS season, you are usually able to see more TEAM qualities in a kid, and can gauge if they are TRUE winners, or front runners...Honestly, we won't recruit a kid from a losing program, UNLESS, he is WILLING his team to some wins in the process..Losing is a habit, just as winning...We want winners...Hope that helped!  8)
[/quote] Ahh, just one mo' summer Dickie V, and I think you will be eating with the devil  ;D
Interesting info from an inside perspective

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw