Word to the Wise

Speaking with legal friend regarding recent events of youth, football and Florida....

The topic came up about "posting" about football players on internet (regarding Texas and Federal laws  regarding anyone, especially under age of 18) and potential liability. 

I know we talk football but after my conversation and reading over some of the laws, I will not post regarding players by name and after explaining to lawyer friend about the content on this message board, he said that it could well cross the line into cyberharrassment/cyberbullying and could be prosecuted as such.

Guest IamWhoIam
Yep you can thank the government for that. I am 100% against someone being bullied. But to have an opinion about a player on a message board, and it possibly be classified as bullying? That's ridiculous.  ::)

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1330012" timestamp="1352879555"]
Speaking with legal friend regarding recent events of youth, football and Florida....

The topic came up about "posting" about football players on internet (regarding Texas and Federal laws  regarding anyone, especially under age of 18) and potential liability. 

I know we talk football but after my conversation and reading over some of the laws, I will not post regarding players by name and after explaining to lawyer friend about the content on this message board, he said that it could well cross the line into cyberharrassment/cyberbullying and could be prosecuted as such.

[/quote]

Which is one reason that we don't allow bashing on the board.  The other being that they are minors who are trying their best and don't need to be criticized by adults.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1330095" timestamp="1352902419"]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=106259.msg1330012#msg1330012 date=1352879555]

[/quote]

Which is one reason that we don't allow bashing on the board.  [b]The other being that they are minors who are trying their best and don't need to be criticized by adults[/b].
[/quote]AMEN bigdog!!!  Tell it like it is.

Guest UHCoog14
There is no universal legal definition of cyber harassment, but it typically is defined as repeated, unsolicited, threatening behavior by a person or group using mobile or Internet technology with the intent to bother, terrify, intimidate, humiliate, threaten, harass or stalk someone else. The harassment can take place in any electronic environment where communication with others is possible, such as on social networking sites, on message boards, in chat rooms or through email. [b]Posting a general opinion on a discussion board or in a forum is not considered cyber harassment.[/b]

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cyber-harassment.htm

This forum has rules preventing such discussions. Most moderators are quick to end such conversations.

anyone calling out and criticizing kids by name has issues IMO...you gotttta remember that these are young men and women who put alot of time and effort into being their best...the fact thatt they do what they  do gives us an opportunity to come on here and talk about the games...as adults, we should be able to do that without bashing kids

[/quote]
If that were the case then every dang newspaper, news station, blog, twitter etc would be out of business....geeeeeeeeeeez.  Can you post your legal friends name so I can put his name on my "do not call to respresent me for legal counsel list".

[quote name="Razor" post="1330167" timestamp="1352905555"]
anyone calling out and criticizing kids by name has issues IMO...you gotta remember that these are young men and women who put alot of time and effort into being their best...the fact that they do what they  do gives us an opportunity to come on here and talk about the games...as adults, we should be able to do that without bashing kids
[/quote]

On the other hand,  calling them out for praise is just fine in my opinion.

Guest IamWhoIam
[quote name="7mary3" post="1330172" timestamp="1352905812"]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=106259.msg1330012#msg1330012 date=1352879555]

[/quote]
If that were the case then every dang newspaper, news station, blog, twitter etc would be out of business....geeeeeeeeeeez.  Can you post your legal friends name so I can put his name on my "[b]do not call[/b] to respresent me for legal counsel list".
[/quote] :D

[quote name="bigdog" post="1330175" timestamp="1352905979"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=106259.msg1330167#msg1330167 date=1352905555]
anyone calling out and criticizing kids by name has issues IMO...you gotta remember that these are young men and women who put alot of time and effort into being their best...the fact that they do what they  do gives us an opportunity to come on here and talk about the games...as adults, we should be able to do that without bashing kids
[/quote]

mine too
On the other hand,  calling them out for praise is just fine in my opinion.
[/quote]

[quote name="bigdog" post="1330095" timestamp="1352902419"]

[/quote]

Which is one reason that we don't allow bashing on the board.  The other being that they are minors who are trying their best and don't need to be criticized by adults.
[/quote]Amen, burns me up to see adults  do this.

[/quote]

Borderline Political.... ;D ;D ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami