Final 18-4a Predictions

timmieboy

So based on what I've seen over the first 3 weeks of the season this is my prediction of how the district will end up and the 4 teams I believe will make the playoffs.

[b]1. Brenham
1. Montgomery
3. Huntsville
4. Waller[/b]
5. Rudder
6. Willis
7. Mag. West
8. Magnolia
9. Caney Creek

1. I put Brenham and Montgomery both at #1 because quite simply they are the two best teams in the district and most likely the game at Bear Stadium October 12th will decide who takes home the 18-4a hardware. I put Brenham over Montgomery only by default because year in and year out they always seem to find a way to beat the Bears, but this year may be differant. In any case we'll just have to wait and see.

3. I think Huntsville is the only team so far in the district other than the other two teams listed above that show any consistancy week in and week out. They have good overall team speed and a lot of athletes that can make plays on both sides of the ball but in my opinion they just haven't turned the corner to reach the level Montgomery and Brenham have achieved.

4. I put Waller as the 4th and final team to make the playoffs but honestly they could flip flop with either Rudder or Huntsville depending on how they handle playing Brenham after getting thrashed by El Campo.

5. Rudder gets my 5th place vote due to the fact that they did manage to beat Magnolia which has a lot of returning starters, but its the same Magnolia who has yet to prove anything in 4a. The teams I ranked 6-9 are all beatable for them.

6. Willis just makes too many mental errors and are way too sloppy as far as play execution goes, which is a far cry from the team that has made the playoffs the past few years. They will win enough district games to keep from being the team in the basement but the lack of depth and size where they need it keeps me from putting them any higher than 5 or 6.

7. After starting off with a strong showing in week 0 they mustangs have lost 2 straight and were straight up out played in both losses. The lack of team speed and execution as well as metal mistakes is what slides a team that was the #3 team in district 17-4a a year ago down to a 7th place team in the new 18-4a. They might surprise a few people and finish in the top 5 but I don't really see them rising any higher than that and certainly don't see a playoff birth this season.

8. Like I stated earlier, its Magnolia. They have yet to prove anything since moving down to 4a a few years ago. I would've picked them to finish higher had they not lost to a very young Rudder team that is fairly new to 4a coming up from 3a. Magnolia should battle Caney Creek for the basement title.

9. Caney Creek started the season with hype of how the team would be in 2012 only to follow that up with a loss to a team that hasn't exactly been good in the past decade in New Caney. They did win a game agaisnt a lack luster Porter team but the game was close until midway through the 4th quarter. Then followed the win with a loss to Willis. They should be the frontrunner for the last place finish.

I think that the two teams to look out for that could potentially make some noise is Waller and Rudder. Those two should battle it out for the last spot or possibly battle Huntsville for the third and fourth place spots. Rudder was losing through three quarters to Magnolia and scored 13 unanswered to win the game which means they'll fight hard throughout the game. Still haven't gotten to see what Waller is packing yet I just know it'll be a heavy dose of the wing t mid-line run game with some shotgun every now and then. I've heard rumors that their qb is hurt though so I don't know how deep they are at that position. Huntsville is good but from what I saw they don't like getting hit at all, which is weird for a team that is easily a 80/20 run team.

[quote name="BearBacker15" post="1277633" timestamp="1348253595"]
I think that the two teams to look out for that could potentially make some noise is Waller and Rudder. Those two should battle it out for the last spot or possibly battle Huntsville for the third and fourth place spots. Rudder was losing through three quarters to Magnolia and scored 13 unanswered to win the game which means they'll fight hard throughout the game. Still haven't gotten to see what Waller is packing yet I just know it'll be a heavy dose of the wing t mid-line run game with some shotgun every now and then. I've heard rumors that their qb is hurt though so I don't know how deep they are at that position. Huntsville is good but from what I saw they don't like getting hit at all, which is weird for a team that is easily a 80/20 run team.
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, Waller switched to the spread.

[quote name="BearBacker15" post="1277551" timestamp="1348248249"]
I just can't rank them any better because niether team has a quality win yet.
[/quote]And when was Waller's quality win to rank them 4th?  They only have one win, which was 42-22 against Tomball Memorial in their 1st varsity season.  Mag West beat Memorial 37-0 and you have them ranked 7th.  I know they looked bad against Brenham, but still.  I expect them to beat Willis tonight.

I think Rudder is too high at 5th, but I'm going to check them out tonight and see what they have.

[quote name="Eazy" post="1277718" timestamp="1348258847"]
[quote author=BearBacker15 link=topic=103414.msg1277551#msg1277551 date=1348248249]
I just can't rank them any better because niether team has a quality win yet.
[/quote]And when was Waller's quality win to rank them 4th?  They only have one win, which was 42-22 against Tomball Memorial in their 1st varsity season.  Mag West beat Memorial 37-0 and you have them ranked 7th.  I know they looked bad against Brenham, but still.  I expect them to beat Willis tonight.

I think Rudder is too high at 5th, but I'm going to check them out tonight and see what they have.
[/quote]

Waller will get to make their case in about 2.5 hours.  They always give us their best shot.  This will help clear things up a little.

I believe your right about Waller switching to the spread, my apologies I haven't seen them play in a couple years but I know they still run quite a bit still maybe justa little more than Montgomery. You have a good argument about mag west being a 5 team , but really 5,6 and 7 could be any combo of the three teams I put there they're all on the same level.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami