just ranting

All over the net sports talk is saying ORU is the new premier/flag ship team in the Southland. One site said ORU will bring national name recognition to a bunch of no name schools. I know, I know, Lamar should bow and be humble for Lamar could never be more than a nobody.

A few SBC home games
Memphis
Louisville
Tulane
Arkansas
Baylor
Southern Miss
Miss st
Navy

Can you imagine the ORU conference home games
Mcmurry
Langston
Bacon
Nicholls st....oh wait, that is a conference member.

One more rant, why haven't the ORU conference invited UNO, ACU, and IWU already. Get them in and lets move on. Are they waiting on possible Notre Dame to join?  I would see if UALR might be interested in joining a less travel more regional conference to travel with UCA. That would put schools in Houston, New Orleans, San Antonio, Little Rock. I'm sure UMKC,Kansas city market, would love to leave the Summit. This would bring the ORU conference to 12 football, 17 Basketball. Might be enough to lure UTA back with DFW market. Too bad the league has a think small mentality.

1. I care about the hometown team and knows how prone it is at making dumb decisions. I can only hope Lamar reads this forum.

2. This rant is as much about the SLC. Since we are stuck in this no ambition conference, I can only rant about how to make the SLC at least top 20.

3. The silence in their agreement.

I got a Q for you. How come every time I visit katfans site I read you pissing all over Lamar in every thread?  No one here is obsessively ragging on SHSU. 

As of late there is no one here talking Lamar but you much less ragging SH.  And I dont piss on Lamar in every thread, just every thread about Lamar.  Big reason for it is out of all the SLC schools Lamar was the only one whose fans were wishing we would lose and be poor representatives of our conference in the playoffs last season, not that I need a reason.

[quote name="kingkat99" post="1234325" timestamp="1341684814"]
As of late there is no one here talking Lamar but you much less ragging SH.  And I dont piss on Lamar in every thread, just every thread about Lamar.  Big reason for it is out of all the SLC schools Lamar was the only one whose fans were wishing we would lose and be poor representatives of our conference in the playoffs last season, not that I need a reason.
[/quote]
Just did a search of this board and the other one and couldn't find anything that would come close to supporting the statement "Lamar was the only one whose fans were wishing we would lose and be poor representatives."  I did find an unlinked thread on Katfans.com about that, but saw nothing on the referenced web site.  There may have been some fans that thought that way.  The main thing I could see was comments about attendance in Huntsville during the playoffs, but that turned into a great story as the playoffs progressed.

I've seen a lot more instances of "Lamar sucks, etc", "Reject U" or "Rehab U" on katfans and from Bearkat supporters than the other way.  A statement wishing SHSU would do poorly in the playoffs might have been a reaction from such a statement or it may be from some of our fans that just don't want Sam to succeed.

I'm not in that group.  I pull in conference teams when they are playing out of conference opponents.  In conference, it's a different story.  Head to head, I want LU to prevail.  SLC team against non-conference foe, I want SLC to prevail.

To get it back to the original thread topic, I would like the SLC teams to stop scheduling DII and NAIA teams, Lamar included.  LU Basketball is moving toward that goal.  I agree with UNLV that we need to improve the conference's stature.  SHSU's run in the football playoffs helped get the SLC back where it had been as one of the premier FCS conferences in football.  LU needs to up its game in football.  We all need to up our games in basketball.  LU needs to get back in baseball.  SHSU is doing a good job in that.

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1234331" timestamp="1341687426"]
Please don't mention UMKC. I've been to a Roos game in the Rec Center on campus they play in now. High school games get bigger crowds and it's quiet as can be. I had the most UMKC gear on and I was just there to watch a friend play.
[/quote]Sounds like UMKC is a perfect fit for the SLC.  ;)
UMKC doesn't bring anything to table, except market. Market is what, sadly, gets attention.
Maybe a better conference for UMKC will make them better.

Yes I would like Lamar to move on but that doesn't look like it will happen in the next year. Oral Roberts is a great addition and will be a force in basketball, women's basketball and baseball. Their men went to top 10 Xavier last season and put it on them and have one something like 16 straight baseball titles (weak conference but still). I get the sarcastic saying about market though. People keep talking about markets but that has more to do with large conferences not the Southland. I don't think some people get that. SLC schools like UTA and UTSA got very little coverage in big markets. UTSA is getting more now only due to football being added.

I think the SLC is giving a lot of weight to market size. Tulsa, San Antonio,, and Abilene is bigger than most SLC. cities. Without San Antonio, IWU would not be getting in.

If the SLC could steal UALR, which would bring back UTA. Then add UMKC.

Houston
Dallas/Forth Worth
San Antonio
Kansas City
New Orleans
Tulsa
Corpus Christi
Abilene
Beaumont
Lake Charles
Combines for 18 million in pop. The SLC could get a TV contract in MBB. Ya think?
A bigger pop. than the SBC.

Too much weight. Major TV markets in Texas are owned by the big boys. Houston (A&M/UT), San Antonio (UT), Dallas (UT/TCU/A&M.....SMU) not SLC schools. Market number is a nice number for mid-major conferences to boast about but it doesn't matter if those markets don't cover you.

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1234392" timestamp="1341714861"]
Too much weight. Major TV markets in Texas are owned by the big boys. Houston (A&M/UT), San Antonio (UT), Dallas (UT/TCU/A&M.....SMU) not SLC schools. Market number is a nice number for mid-major conferences to boast about but it doesn't matter if those markets don't cover you.
[/quote]I agree. I was just trying to play their game. However my vision would help in travel cost and SLC recruiting.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa