Which Do You Like Better? Fresh Or Saltwater Fishing?

KFDM COOP

Which Would You Rather Fish?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which Would You Rather Fish?

• Freshwater
    • Saltwater

Freshwater is usually more laid back and usually has much prettier scenery. I have had some great memories fishing in freshwater from one of my bass boats on the big lakes to fishing in the canals around my house to fly fishing ponds around the Golden Triangle.

For the pure fun of putting fish in the boat however, saltwater is head and shoulders above freshwater. I have never caught more than 100 bass in one outing but I have caught (but not kept) that many specks. I have caught saltwater species over 150 pounds and can fill a freezer if I want to stock up on fish for the year or for a big fish fry. Freshwater has its place but it is not even in the same league with saltwater.

Yea i guess i've just done alot more freshwater fishing than saltwater. Saltwater does make for some good eating though.

I certainly catch a lot more saltwater fish consistently. I have been saltwater fishing where I went home because I was tired of catching fish. I mean really tired. My arms hurts and I did not want to reel in any more fish. I have never been freshwater fishing where I was tired of reeling them in. I have been tired of bass fishing (especially in tournaments) because it felt like I just tossed a 9 inning ball game with all the casts. It was never from putting so many fish in the boat that I was physically exhausted.

i've got to say freshwater...I can't argue with the fact that you can catch more fish and bigger fish when in saltwater, but the largemouth bass has got me tied down. Saltwater is also fun because you never know what kind of fish your gonna reel in. But in fresh I dont have to worry about remembering tide charts, cleaning all my equipment every trip, flushing my motor, driving 2 hours to fish, or getting seasick. I have enjoyed numerous saltwater trips and probably should go on more, but nothing thrills me more than catching a big ole stringer of bucketmouth bass plus the adrenaline of riding 70 mph in a bass boat......

I only have to drive about 15 minutes to get to saltwater. By the same token, I have to drive almost two hours to get to the big East Texas bass lakes. Then I have to figure on spending at least the night. Two of my best days ever saltwater fishing were after I got off of work, drove two blocks away and then fished off of the dock. I caught lots of fish and kept 20 specks (legally) before I got home from work.

I don't get seasick, I don't pay attention to the tidal charts but I agree on cleaning the equipment. My round trip drive time to Rayburn or Toledo is 4 hours. I can wash a lot of fishing rods and hose down my boat.

For my opinion, saltwater is more of a pure fishing event. It is usually more active, there are large number of species that can be caught from small pan fish to up to hundreds of pounds and they generally fight more. You can never be sure exactly what kind of fish is going to be on the end of your line after the cast.

Freshwater fishing is more of a laid back, fish for the sake of fishing trip. You aren't going because you can fill the boat with fish, the fish isn't likely to strip a lot of line from your reel and you usually know what fish is going to hit your lure/bait. There seems to be a little more of a hunting aspect to freshwater, at least for bass. The thrill of the hunt is usually more interesting than the actual time spent reeling them in. My freshwater fishing is usually more relaxing and much more scenic than saltwater. I consider it more of a vacation type fishing to saltwater's working kind of fishing. Both are great but if I had to pick one, it would have to be in the salt.

Awesome' date=' we'll go sometime.[/quote']

This time of the year is always a major conflict of interests. Should a person go hunting or fishing? Of course, if you only hunt or only fish, it sure makes it a lot easier.

The Taylor's Bayou outfall into the Intercoastal Waterway can be outstanding in November. If you catch it right (isn't that always fishing-IF) you can fill an ice chest up in short order.

From the south end of Beaumont, you can be fishing within about 25 minutes from leaving the house. Than includes driving to the ICC bridge in Port Arthur on Hwy 87 and about a 5 minute boat run.

No confusion for me. I LOVE Hunting Seaon....it gets all of those hunters off my lake! hehe Truthfully though, at this time of year, on the weekends, there are alot less boats competing for those schools of birds. The action is pretty hot right now too. For me, saltwater wins hands down, although I love to bass fish. But offshore is my passion.

BTW, I've got a really nice offshore boat for sale in case you know of anyone lookin'.

• 3 months later...

Saltwater is better to eat and much easier...but i LOVE freshwater

Saltwater is much better to catch a lot of eating size fish but I would have a hard time saying that they are better to eat. Bass, crappie and catfish fillets can be tough to overcome. Not that snapper, flouder, ling and others are not equal to the task but to pronounce them as better is a bit suspect.

I really like both.  I do freshwater fish more than salt but that is only because I can be sitting on either Toledo or Rayburn in just a matter of minutes.  I do make several trips to the bays and Sabine lake every year.  I love to bass fish, the thrill of the hunt accompanied with the peacefull lakes and scenic views.  Very relaxing and loads of fun when you are really on the good fish. 

When I go saltwater fishing it is usually wading the surf or the bays from daylight to dark with about an hour or two off for lunch.....  Lots of times I will do this for 3-5 days straight.  It is very fun but also very tiring.....

I guess if I had to give one up for the other I would have to stick with freshwater.  Not necessarily because I like it more but for the convenience!

I have the same issue but for saltwater. I can be saltwater fishing in 15 minutes. I could be freshwater fishing just as quick if you count the local canals or Taylor's Bayou. A trip to Rayburn or Toldeo is a couple of hours one way.

• 2 weeks later...

Jan to June is Bass Fishing.

I'll sneak a tuna trip or wahoo trip in here somewhere.

July to October is Offshore.

I'll slip a bass trip in here somewhere.

Days between will be for those really dumb trout and redfish  ;D

Every other day is either football games, baseball games and/or arguing with wife about fishing, football and baseball..... ;D ;D

Jan to June is Bass Fishing.

I'll sneak a tuna trip or wahoo trip in here somewhere.

July to October is Offshore.

I'll slip a bass trip in here somewhere.

Days between will be for those really dumb trout and redfish  ;D

Every other day is either football games, baseball games and/or arguing with wife about fishing, football and baseball..... ;D ;D

I'll go along with that too.

If I had the time to drive four hours to get to some freshwater I would go alot more because Ive only really been twice to freshwater and I cought a keeper both times but I threw it back.

But to me I like saltwater way better......even though you have more cleaning to do when you get home.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn