Who will the SLC add?

The WAC has become the freak show. Lamar needs the Sunbelt invite to go FBS. If not, Lamar will be stuck in the Southland. So who will be our new conference mates.
My pick would be

Abilene Christian-Abilene TX POP. 115,000
West Texas AM-Canyon TX-12,000 10 miles from Amarillo Tx POP 180,000
Midwestern-Wichita falls-107,000

Rumor has it the SLC is looking at
Abilene Christian
Texas AM Commerce
Incarnate Word

[quote name="beechnut" post="1025318" timestamp="1310840588"]
Lamar is in no mans land. grr
[/quote]

You said it.  The WAC isn't pretty but Lamar still has a small chance to get invited, but would the local fans be happy about it?  If Lamar stays in the SLC they'll have McNeese, SFA and SHSU as rivals but overall it's depressing to even think about it.  The Sun Belt is now getting picky so does Lamar have any chance of rejoining that conference?

Guest beechnut
[quote name="coachacola" post="1025360" timestamp="1310847591"]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=85773.msg1025318#msg1025318 date=1310840588]
[/quote]

You said it.  The WAC isn't pretty but Lamar still has a small chance to get invited, but would the local fans be happy about it?  If Lamar stays in the SLC they'll have McNeese, SFA and SHSU as rivals but overall it's depressing to even think about it.  The Sun Belt is now getting picky so does Lamar have any chance of rejoining that conference?
[/quote]

Depressing bc do not have time to watch the likes of ACU and Tarleton State.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1025360" timestamp="1310847591"]
[/quote]

[/quote]I can't believe you still want Lamar in the WAC. YUCK.

The Sunbelt does not want to give up Texas to the WAC. The Sunbelt could grab Lamar to get the Houston area recruits. It would be nutts for the SBC to sit back and let the WAC take Houston along with Austin, San Antonio, and DFW. There might already be a tug-a-war between the SBC and WAC for a Houston school. Lamar and Sam. I say let the WAC take Sam, Lamar goes SBC.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1025387" timestamp="1310852495"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=85773.msg1025360#msg1025360 date=1310847591]
[/quote]

The Sunbelt does not want to give up Texas to the WAC. The Sunbelt could grab Lamar to get the Houston area recruits. It would be nutts for the SBC to sit back and let the WAC take Houston along with Austin, San Antonio, and DFW. There might already be a tug-a-war between the SBC and WAC for a Houston school. Lamar and Sam. I say let the WAC take Sam, Lamar goes SBC.
[/quote]

I prefer the SBC and Dr. Simmons prefers the SBC but I haven't seen one indication that the SBC wants Lamar.  It's easy to name the reasons why the SBC should invite Lamar but until I see one shred of evidence (or even a rumor) that the SBC is looking at Lamar then for now it's either the WAC or the SLC.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1025388" timestamp="1310852760"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=85773.msg1025387#msg1025387 date=1310852495]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=85773.msg1025360#msg1025360 date=1310847591]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I prefer the SBC and Dr. Simmons prefers the SBC but I haven't seen one indication that the SBC wants Lamar.  It's easy to name the reasons why the SBC should invite Lamar but until I see one shred of evidence (or even a rumor) that the SBC is looking at Lamar then for now it's either the WAC or the SLC.
[/quote]Have you seen the indication of the WAC wanting Lamar. hint hint the WAC added 3 non-football schools.

Coach, think about it. The WAC could use it's Texas presence to crush the SBC in football in time. The SBC needs to counter by adding another Texas school in or near Houston. Who would that be? 
Or do you really think the SBC will allow the WAC to take those Houston recruits along with San Antonio, Austin, and DFW.
Think about it coach, I can't believe its not so obvious to you. Texas is the gold mine, the WAC has 3 and the SBC has 1. And that 1 wants out.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1025394" timestamp="1310854063"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=85773.msg1025388#msg1025388 date=1310852760]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Have you seen the indication of the WAC wanting Lamar. hint hint the WAC added 3 non-football schools.

Coach, think about it. The WAC could use it's Texas presence to crush the SBC in football in time. The SBC needs to counter by adding another Texas school in or near Houston. Who would that be?   
Or do you really think the SBC will allow the WAC to take those Houston recruits along with San Antonio, Austin, and DFW.
Think about it coach, I can't believe its not so obvious to you. Texas is the gold mine, the WAC has 3 and the SBC has 1. And that 1 wants out.
[/quote]

I'm not disagreeing with you about Lamar joining the SBC.  I agree with all the points you are making and there has been talk about the SBC eventually going with 12 football schools.  I'm just saying that unless there's some behind the scenes talking going on between Lamar and the SBC then it's only a pipe dream at the moment.  (I also think Lamar only gets invited to the WAC if all the western schools turn down the WAC.)

The SBC will be down to 11 schools once Denver leaves, but they need to lose UALR and/or ULM.  Those two belong in the SLC.  Lamar could then rejoin the SBC along with two other football schools for 12 team all-sports conference that's travel friendly.  IMO, Lamar is a better fit than both UALR and ULM.

I really hope this happens.  I do agree with you that Lamar needs to be proactive on this and get it done.  I'm just not sure how high up Lamar is on the SBC's wish list.

There has to be secret talks between Lamar and the SBC. Could the SBC be so short-sighted as to just hand over the 10th world largest economy, 2nd largest state, most football talent rich state over to the WAC. With the exception of Florida, Texas has a larger pop. than the remaining SBC states combined. And the SBC will just hand over Texas for free. I'm not buying it.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1025427" timestamp="1310861841"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=85773.msg1025394#msg1025394 date=1310854063]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=85773.msg1025388#msg1025388 date=1310852760]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not disagreeing with you about Lamar joining the SBC.  I agree with all the points you are making and there has been talk about the SBC eventually going with 12 football schools.  I'm just saying that unless there's some behind the scenes talking going on between Lamar and the SBC then it's only a pipe dream at the moment.  (I also think Lamar only gets invited to the WAC if all the western schools turn down the WAC.)

The SBC will be down to 11 schools once Denver leaves, but they need to lose UALR and/or ULM.  Those two belong in the SLC.  Lamar could then rejoin the SBC along with two other football schools for 12 team all-sports conference that's travel friendly.  IMO, Lamar is a better fit than both UALR and ULM.

I really hope this happens.  I do agree with you that Lamar needs to be proactive on this and get it done.  I'm just not sure how high up Lamar is on the SBC's wish list.
[/quote]

i love it, you two "wacksters" are starting to sound...puddin-ish!

If the WAC invites Lamar after the football season, that would be a 4 to 1 advantage over the SBC in Texas. Even if the WAC passes on Lamar, there still will be a 3 to 1 huge advantage over the SBC in Texas. The SBC needs to counter the WAC in Texas. At least get it to 3 to 2.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83